Katawa Shoujo and Alcohol

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pyramid Head

Re: Katawa Shoujo and Alcohol

Post by Pyramid Head »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Brogurt wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:Katawa Shoujo Drinking Game.
Dante Must Die Mode: Take a shot every time Hisao does something retarded
Are you trying to get someone killed?
I had a similar drinking game but had to amend it because of fatalities. First it was "Take a shot every time someone makes an illegal turn or fails to signal" but for some reason my test subject used vodka which admittedly made it easy to incinerate the corpse once i dismembered it, but he didn't survive one hour. After that it was just have a drink every time someone failed to signal and the person who had to take a piss first loses, but someone wound up drowning while the other one was playing the game with Monster energy drinks and consumed a lethal dose of caffeine, so one corpse i had trouble disposing of because it would have killed the dogs with all the caffeine in it's system had i used that disposal method. After that i switched it to "Take a shot whenever someone signals for once."
Over ten months i only took two shots. The standards for letting people get drivers licenses are even looser than the standards for letting people get guns, and it is why so many people die in America.

On that note switching back to Katawa Shoujo, one fun way to spoil the feels i've discovered is to get someone with a good eye for detail and enforce the rule "Take a shot every time there is a continuity issue or the art wasn't edited properly." Whenever a CG heavy moment pops up the subject gets wasted halfway through because a lot of the CGs, ESPECIALLY of Hanako, tend to have inconsistencies and often the artist didn't erase all foreground and background dividers. It's kind of cruel, but that's who i am damnit. Actually on that note don't play those games with vodka or beer, you will be busting for a piss every five minutes because of the high water content.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Brogurt wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:Katawa Shoujo Drinking Game.
Dante Must Die Mode: Take a shot every time Hisao does something retarded
Are you trying to get someone killed?
If you think that's trying to kill somebody, try out my drinking game for the TV show "Madmen"

Mad Men Drinking Game:
1 Shot for every cigarette smoked.
2 Shots for every sexist and racist comment or remark
3 shots every-time Don cheats on his wife or a male character makes a move on a female character.
Good luck making it through the first episode!
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

The Feels vs. Triple Sec and Patron

So my last Katawa Shoujo and alcohol experiment involved plugging it in after a couple of frozen margaritas. Why? IT WAS 100 FUCKING DEGREES AND MY BALLS WERE MELTING! While i'm all in favor of authentic Mexican food lets face it, it wasn't a bad idea to mix booze with crushed ice. Besides, it wasn't like i had a daiquiri. I never knew what Hemmingway saw in that one, i was always more of a mojito guy.
Anyway where was i... ah yes. Playing Katawa Shoujo with four shots worth of alcohol preventing what could have been a horrific case of brain freeze i found that i didn't find continuity issues bothering me as much as they did earlier. It used to really bug me that at one point you clearly see Lilly and Hanako state they befriended each other when Lilly moved into the Yamaku dorms, meaning they had been friends for a few months before Hisao arrived, Lilly later states she actually knew Hanako prior to that. While Aura did offer a bit of an explanation stating they at least knew each other from the start of their time at Yamaku, it still bothered me. It does now while i've got nothing but caffeine to keep me company, but it didn't when the tequila still left me pleasantly buzzed. As for it's impact on the feels i did find i was generally mellowed out and the first hints at Hanako's past didn't affect me the way it did earlier (when sober i find that crayon drawing weirdly poignant for some reason), so the second stage of the experiment does imply alcohol counters the effects of the feels. But this could have just been an outlier example, so i'll continue with the trials and do my part for science and the betterment of man--
HAHAAAAAAs if. It's for science, fuck mankind.
Last edited by Pyramid Head on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:It's for science, fuck mankind.
Aren't we the only ones who consciously use science anyway?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Xanatos wrote:
Of course not, we're only the third most intelligent species on the planet. Dolphins have faster than light technology and rats helped design the earth to discover life's greatest question to fit the answer to life, the universe, and everything: 42.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Of course not, we're only the third most intelligent species on the planet. Dolphins have faster than light technology and rats helped design the earth to discover life's greatest question to fit the answer to life, the universe, and everything: 42.
...I should have expected a Hitchhiker reference.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
...I should have expected a Hitchhiker reference.

I haven't had the pleasure of reading past the first book. I'll still thank you if you give me fish, though.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Pyramid Head wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Mice are the pan-dimensional beings, thank you very much!

As for the thread, I haven't really thought about it. I don't drink on my own, normally, and when I do it doesn't change anything about how I feel, rather making me more likely to tell people around me, so I don't really see the point.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

Don't consider yourself less manly just because you have emotions.
It's not the fact that I have emotions - it's that I seem to have trouble keeping them in check at times. :? Being sensitive isn't always a good thing - it sometimes means that relatively minor stuff that shouldn't bother you ends up making you angry or upset. I've had situations where I've accidentally hurt other people because I lashed out at them over something trivial, or failed to show empathy for someone else because I was too upset over my own feelings.

In particular, I tend to have a bad problem with envy and jealousy. Someone I know wins first place in a competition? I *should* feel happy for them, but instead I feel angry because they had the skill to win and the guts to compete and risk failure in the first place - two things I most definitely don't have. Someone I like is spending time with other people? I know I shouldn't be upset, but I feel bad nontheless - I tend to focus my friend efforts on having just one or two close people in my life, and so when even one of them goes off without me I feel like I'm being abandoned. :cry:

These are very bad thoughts for a person to be having, yet I have them anyway - my sensitivity takes what would otherwise be minor mood fluctuations and blows them up into real moment-killers. :( So I have to stay on my guard, doing my best to remain civil - and booze doesn't really help that. :P I'm sure there are others around here who can understand where I'm coming from.
If dolphins are so smart, why do they keep getting caught in fishing nets? :P
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Xden

Post by Xden »

DrNonookee wrote:
Don't consider yourself less manly just because you have emotions.
It's not the fact that I have emotions - it's that I seem to have trouble keeping them in check at times. :? Being sensitive isn't always a good thing - it sometimes means that relatively minor stuff that shouldn't bother you ends up making you angry or upset. I've had situations where I've accidentally hurt other people because I lashed out at them over something trivial, or failed to show empathy for someone else because I was too upset over my own feelings.

In particular, I tend to have a bad problem with envy and jealousy. Someone I know wins first place in a competition? I *should* feel happy for them, but instead I feel angry because they had the skill to win and the guts to compete and risk failure in the first place - two things I most definitely don't have. Someone I like is spending time with other people? I know I shouldn't be upset, but I feel bad nontheless - I tend to focus my friend efforts on having just one or two close people in my life, and so when even one of them goes off without me I feel like I'm being abandoned. :cry:

These are very bad thoughts for a person to be having, yet I have them anyway - my sensitivity takes what would otherwise be minor mood fluctuations and blows them up into real moment-killers. :( So I have to stay on my guard, doing my best to remain civil - and booze doesn't really help that. :P I'm sure there are others around here who can understand where I'm coming from.
I can understand that. I used to be a little bit like that. Sometimes I still am. I think It's just a matter of getting comfortable with yourself and learning that there are bigger issues. As I started to become more jaded/experienced, my issues began to seem much less significant. I also realized that it was myself that was pushing people away, and it was best to just let things go if I wanted to make others happier. Perhaps things are different for you though. I can't say.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

DrNonookee wrote:
If dolphins are so smart, why do they keep getting caught in fishing nets? :P
It's something akin to a drug problem. They get bad tunnel vision around really tasty fish because their's is an alien nervous system. You shouldn't be too harsh, drug addicts are victims sometimes just as much or even moreso than they are criminals.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

DrNonookee wrote:-snip-
I have had similar problems and I say this with all due respect - talking to a professional helps a great deal. Spending so much energy trying to live around not touching off hair-trigger emotions is not the way to be a well-adjusted adult. I grew up surrounded by people with aggression problems and it affected me, you might have something going on as well. Make sure you get a therapist and not a psychiatrist, if you're paranoid about having pills pushed at you.

Never mind, it's not my place to say anything.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

I'm actually trying to put together a serious drinking game for Katawa Shoujo. I have no idea why but when I first noticed this topic, I decided to try to make a serious drinking game. I haven't even finished setting up the rules for Act 1 let alone all the individual characters and the different pathways for each so it will still take me a while. The kicker for me is the fact that I have had only 3 drinks to my name since I hit 21 back in march. It's not that I hate drinking, I've just never been interested. Anyway, Here is what i have so far and by the way, I'm setting up the rules assuming you guys have finished KS for every character at least once so this could very well contain spoilers. Let me know how you like what I have so far and feel free to make suggestions.

Act 1 (including the prelude before the actual Act 1):
(All Act 1 rules apply to all routs afterward where applicable)
Take a shot when:
You must make a decision of any kind
Hisao first meets a new character including romantic interests or side characters
(Faceless voices like his parents don’t count)
Hisao’s heart is the topic for discussion or worry
Hisao acts depressed
(Depression over several lines of dialogue without interruption count as 1)
Somebody suddenly changes the subject for any reason
Misha laughs
Hisao drinks tea
Kenji starts ranting about women

Finish your drink when:
You start a new act (can ignore act 1)
The ending credits start rolling
An emotional bombshell for any character is dropped.
(Like when Hisao learned he had to attend a new school)
Kenji is wearing a leaf.

Emi:
Take a shot when:

Finish your drink when:

Shizune:
Take a shot when:
Shisune pays for/gives you food/drinks

Finish your drink when:

Hanako:
Take a shot when:

Finish your drink when:

Lilly:
Take a shot when:
Any time her blindness is mentioned by any character including herself.

Finish your drink when:

Rin:
Take a shot when:

Finish your drink when:
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

Nah, s'ok. I appreciate the motivation, at least. :D But, eh. I'm not *that* bad - it's not a game-breaker or anything. I just lack social experience. I guess the best way to put it is that I suffered from a case of mental and emotional arrested development. The last real friends I had were back in the 10th grade - a point at which I was still in the "I don't care about relationships, I just want to play with my video games and action figures" phase of my life. By the time I *did* start to care, I'd missed those important years of learning how to socialize with my peers - I missed my chance to gain experience, and that lack of experience now manifests as shyness and anxiety. I'm just like a gawky 16-year-old teenager who's terrified of asking a girl out to the dance - except I'm 30. :P

There's all sorts of social fears and self-doubt that are present simply because there's been no life experience to prove them right or wrong. Succeed at things, and you gain confidence and become brave. Fail often enough, and you grow thick-skinned and able to shrug it off and keep going out of sheer stubborness. I haven't succeeded *or* failed, because I haven't yet had the courage to try. I've *gained* that courage over the past several years and feel that I'm finally ready to make the effort; all I need now is the right venue to meet like-minded people. One that doesn't involve sitting at home and being on the Internet. :P

Ah, the Internet. Great for bringing people like us together, yet somehow making us feel physically farther apart than ever before. Isn't technology grand? ;)

...in an attempt to get back on topic: how about someone with some drink-mixing experience *make* some KS-themed drinks? Like, say, "The Lilly" or "The Misha", and come up with a combination of booze and other ingredients that somehow reflects the character's appearance or personality. :D I'd try it myself, except I know nothing about mixed drinks...
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

DrNonookee wrote:
Nah, s'ok. I appreciate the motivation, at least. :D But, eh. I'm not *that* bad - it's not a game-breaker or anything. I just lack social experience. I guess the best way to put it is that I suffered from a case of mental and emotional arrested development. The last real friends I had were back in the 10th grade - a point at which I was still in the "I don't care about relationships, I just want to play with my video games and action figures" phase of my life. By the time I *did* start to care, I'd missed those important years of learning how to socialize with my peers - I missed my chance to gain experience, and that lack of experience now manifests as shyness and anxiety. I'm just like a gawky 16-year-old teenager who's terrified of asking a girl out to the dance - except I'm 30. :P

There's all sorts of social fears and self-doubt that are present simply because there's been no life experience to prove them right or wrong. Succeed at things, and you gain confidence and become brave. Fail often enough, and you grow thick-skinned and able to shrug it off and keep going out of sheer stubborness. I haven't succeeded *or* failed, because I haven't yet had the courage to try. I've *gained* that courage over the past several years and feel that I'm finally ready to make the effort; all I need now is the right venue to meet like-minded people. One that doesn't involve sitting at home and being on the Internet. :P

Ah, the Internet. Great for bringing people like us together, yet somehow making us feel physically farther apart than ever before. Isn't technology grand? ;)

...in an attempt to get back on topic: how about someone with some drink-mixing experience *make* some KS-themed drinks? Like, say, "The Lilly" or "The Misha", and come up with a combination of booze and other ingredients that somehow reflects the character's appearance or personality. :D I'd try it myself, except I know nothing about mixed drinks...
I could have sworn I saw you in my high school classes because this sounds so familiar. This is practically me only I'm 21. Now that I'm starting to care about having good friends to hang out with, everybody I seem to meet are either not worth it or out of my league. I feel pathetic in saying that I get along better with a 16 year old over xbox live who lives in California better than the people I see of my own age on a daily basis back home in Michigan.