Hospital/Rehabilitation Personal Experiences

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Radien

Hospital/Rehabilitation Personal Experiences

Post by Radien »

Playing through Katawa Shoujo, the game almost immediately hit really close to home for me. Two years ago I was rushed to the hospital -- not quite as suddenly as Hisao was, since I was misdiagnosed at first, but it was certainly just as shocking as it was for Hisao. And even though Hisao spent all his recovery time in the hospital, I had to face 3 months in physical rehab after a 1 month hospital stay.

But even though I say it hit close to home, his fictional experience made me realize something. Hisao faced the problem of his visits from friends and parents dwindling over time. In total contrast, my experience led me to realize just how many friends I have and how much I care for and value them. I never thought negatively about people who didn't visit, but I truly valued every friend who walked through that door to see me in the hospital or rehab. It also led me to realize which of them I felt closest to. Overwhelmed tears were shed on both sides of the equation.

That's where Hisao's experience became foreign to me. I really do feel sorry for the guy. He may be fictional, but I hate to think that somewhere out there, someone is facing the same experience. It's not an uncommon story, especially in the movies: right before facing a huge life change, the main character realizes how "hollow" their former life had become. But something tells me Hisao's story is a little more plausible than most movies, considering the circumstances.

These days, reality TV tries to sell the idea that any extreme experience that challenges your lifestyle is always going to be a life-improving challenge in the end. But if that were always the case, we'd always come out the better for having faced disaster...and unfortunately, the true reality is that sometimes a medical event is a tragedy.

That's why I'd like to hear what your stories are. Not just any hospital stay, mind you. Specifically, those of you whose lives or lifestyles have been profoundly affected by a life-threatening illness, ailment, or injury.

What's your story of hospitalization and/or rehabilitation? How did it impact you, and how much of it was positive/negative?...

If you were a supporting friend or family member for someone else who faced a severe hospitalization, I'd be happy to hear your stories too. :) Especially if you feel you know how it affected your friend or relative in hospital/rehab.
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
NoOne3

Re: Hospital/Rehabilitation Personal Experiences

Post by NoOne3 »

Not much from me myself in this departament, but about year ago my dad went mountaneering.
One thing led to another, he got home with both his legs broken and in plaster casts (not some fancy plastic thingies, heavy, oldfashioned, up to his thighs).
One leg broken - you walk with crutches, but two... you just don't. He's a proud person, so didn't want to be helped much. Before we get a wheelchair for him, he was using caster chair for two days.

It just gave me a glimpse of how it is to have your mobility impaired - there are impassable obstructions everywhere. 3cm threshold you never knew was there becomes a wall. I needed to came up with a technical solution for making a said 3cm ramp, for bathroom to be usable. Suddenly you are a prisoner in your home, because there are three steps from the front porch, to the street, not counting a curb. I then started noticing things like curbs, stairs, 50m ramps you have to use instead a few of them. New pedesrian crossings with lowered curbstone, and old ones, completely unusable for a wheelchair user. It's like you're suddenly using different geography than other people.

Dad is ok now, recovered great, but never left the house, except for hospital visits, until his casts were off.

And just think, what would happen, if the accident rendered Emi a paraplegic instead?

Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radien

Post by Radien »

NoOne3 wrote:Not much from me myself in this departament, but about year ago my dad went mountaneering.
One thing led to another, he got home with both his legs broken and in plaster casts (not some fancy plastic thingies, heavy, oldfashioned, up to his thighs).
One leg broken - you walk with crutches, but two... you just don't. He's a proud person, so didn't want to be helped much. Before we get a wheelchair for him, he was using caster chair for two days.

It just gave me a glimpse of how it is to have your mobility impaired - there are impassable obstructions everywhere. 3cm threshold you never knew was there becomes a wall. I needed to came up with a technical solution for making a said 3cm ramp, for bathroom to be usable. Suddenly you are a prisoner in your home, because there are three steps from the front porch, to the street, not counting a curb. I then started noticing things like curbs, stairs, 50m ramps you have to use instead a few of them. New pedesrian crossings with lowered curbstone, and old ones, completely unusable for a wheelchair user. It's like you're suddenly using different geography than other people.

Dad is ok now, recovered great, but never left the house, except for hospital visits, until his casts were off.
Ah, yes, you can learn a lot by helping to take care of (or being friends with) someone who is facing serious mobility issues. It's not the same as a firsthand experience, but it is eye-opening. My family certainly has learned a lot that they didn't know before, by having to do things that I wish they hadn't needed to go through.
NoOne3 wrote:And just think, what would happen, if the accident rendered Emi a paraplegic instead?
Well, to answer that question totally seriously, she would have had to face an even more complete lifestyle change, and find different outlets for herself. Given her athletic and competitive nature, I can imagine someone with a personality like Emi's going into other types of competition, like wheelchair racing or other sports for people with disabilities. No doubt, the temptation to fall into depression would be great at first. It all depends on how someone's personality copes with disaster. Considering all that she went through, Emi actually handled it pretty well. Difficulties along the way are to be expected.

phantomwolf

Post by phantomwolf »

Many people have to be hospitalized and have their entire lifestyle changed due to illnesses that are not life-threatening. I have MS and can relate to Hiseo even though my condition isn't likely to kill me anytime soon.
Radien

Post by Radien »

phantomwolf wrote:Many people have to be hospitalized and have their entire lifestyle changed due to illnesses that are not life-threatening. I have MS and can relate to Hiseo even though my condition isn't likely to kill me anytime soon.
I suppose you make a good point there. Personally, the hospitalization that led to permanent problems for me was my first truly life-threatening situation, so I associated one with the other. As for your problem, I know what you're talking about (at least somewhat), because my mother has M.S. as well. I'm not yet sure what advanced M.S. is like, though, and my mother developed it late in life, so her M.S. might not get that far. And of course, there is more than one kind of M.S., and having one may be worse than another...

Anyway, I just wanted there to be some dividing line between serious afflictions and non-threatening ones. I know, there is no solid dividing line between disabled and not, since everyone has certain things that they cannot do -- things that other people are capable of. Still, some of us are in need of specific accommodations for daily life.

rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Me as a child all but paid rent to the Hospital ... 2 broken arms , had hot tea spilled on me ( no hanako like scars lol ) ,had tubes put in my ears at least twice , had my ear durm rupture ( fun experence ) , walked through a glass window with my brother ( that i was to young to remember ... but i got the scars on my hands to prove it lol ) ... but sense i was 13 or so not one trip to the doctors / Hospital for any more the a check up ....how im not deaf or worse idk lol ( i only got a little hearing lose in one ear )