Swedish translation

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AapoAlas

Re: Swedish translation

Post by AapoAlas »

@Shockproof Jamo
Finnish translation mentioned? Count me in, I could very well be interested. I actually was going to do Act 1 at some point just for the fun of it, but never really got around to.
I do hate Finnish translations of most books, animes and whatnot but mainly because I think they're usually rather shabby. When they're not, they're okay but anyhow. Doing it yourself and rooting out all the mistakes made by others (in other works that is) would be a nice experience. Not that I probably would do any better, but one has to believe in something.
So, basically, if the idea ever comes up again, ... I don't know, I'll try to be there, if not, send me a PM or something.

How should one translate Misha's laughter? "HUAHAHAHAHAHAHA", maybe?
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
EDiot

Post by EDiot »

I agree that sometimes the properties of the language itself take away from the experience. I recently watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the Swedish made it rather difficult to take the movie seriously. A scene in which a police officer says something along the lines of "The crimes happened in the forties, fifties, and sixties." in Swedish was particularly silly-sounding to my unilingual ears.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

AapoAlas wrote:@Shockproof Jamo
Finnish translation mentioned? Count me in, I could very well be interested. I actually was going to do Act 1 at some point just for the fun of it, but never really got around to.
I do hate Finnish translations of most books, animes and whatnot but mainly because I think they're usually rather shabby. When they're not, they're okay but anyhow. Doing it yourself and rooting out all the mistakes made by others (in other works that is) would be a nice experience. Not that I probably would do any better, but one has to believe in something.
So, basically, if the idea ever comes up again, ... I don't know, I'll try to be there, if not, send me a PM or something.

How should one translate Misha's laughter? "HUAHAHAHAHAHAHA", maybe?
Do you not realize what a horrible idea that is? I mean, just, how could any Finn ever take KS seriously? I know I probably couldn't - although Rin might be rather interesting in Finnish...

Apart from that, I actually was thinking of playing the Shizune route and translating every single scene to Finnish just for the lulz. :P
Jojje

Post by Jojje »

Swede here as well, I would not pick a Swedish language option had it been available. It just feels off.
EDiot wrote:I agree that sometimes the properties of the language itself take away from the experience. I recently watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the Swedish made it rather difficult to take the movie seriously. A scene in which a police officer says something along the lines of "The crimes happened in the forties, fifties, and sixties." in Swedish was particularly silly-sounding to my unilingual ears.
swedish sounds somewhat silly when you speak seriously in it
"Yeah, I like doing it in a horizontal position more, if you know what I mean.
But it can't be helped, can't ask the wall to lay down."
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

AapoAlas, a Finnish translation is not going to happen, simply because the majority vote is so heavily against the idea. At least I personally am not going to bother. It's useless to waste all the time and effort, when the audience just isn't there.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:AapoAlas, a Finnish translation is not going to happen, simply because the majority vote is so heavily against the idea. At least I personally am not going to bother. It's useless to waste all the time and effort, when the audience just isn't there.
It's not useless if you can get a good laugh out of reading it :3

Post by Guest »

If you do start on a swedish translation, I could be a proofreader or editor. I already noticed a few mistakes in the snippet from earlier. :P
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Well damn, this tears it. I'll have to write that blogpost about translation which I have been procrastinating on since forever.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Like this one?
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

I think doing the translation for deaf ears is a very valid idea as long as you like doing it. *grin*
But then again, maybe I'm just a work whore.
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.