Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Kon22 wrote:While you were working on KS, how did the process go? I mean, did you get the art and the story done simultaneously, or made sure you had the story/scripts first?
Script drafting and sprites were worked on simultaneously, then rewriting/ editing simultaneously with event CG art. Lots of exceptions.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

And, if it's okay to ask, how did you organize the whole thing? I mean, as far as I know you're all from different places. And of course, each one of you had a different task. There were writers, artists, musicians and well, stuff. So, I can't think how did you organize that. Like, everyone worked with its own stuff until you finished? Or did you regularly put together what you had?
Atario

Post by Atario »

When you received work back from the visual artists, did unexpected aspects of any of it feed back into the scripting process (inspiring you to create/alter/drop any events/characterizations/settings/etc.), or was it driven purely one-way from scripting to art?

If the former, what are some examples?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Kon22 wrote:And, if it's okay to ask, how did you organize the whole thing? I mean, as far as I know you're all from different places. And of course, each one of you had a different task. There were writers, artists, musicians and well, stuff. So, I can't think how did you organize that. Like, everyone worked with its own stuff until you finished? Or did you regularly put together what you had?
We have a Subversion database where everyone could update their work and receive updates from others anytime, anywhere.

More tools were involved, but this gave us the capability to basically ignore sane working times and keep watch on the project's growth as it happened.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Silentcook wrote:
Kon22 wrote:And, if it's okay to ask, how did you organize the whole thing? I mean, as far as I know you're all from different places. And of course, each one of you had a different task. There were writers, artists, musicians and well, stuff. So, I can't think how did you organize that. Like, everyone worked with its own stuff until you finished? Or did you regularly put together what you had?
We have a Subversion database where everyone could update their work and receive updates from others anytime, anywhere.

More tools were involved, but this gave us the capability to basically ignore sane working times and keep watch on the project's growth as it happened.
It should be added that these very forums and the developer IRC channel played a huge role in keeping us on the same page as well. Having people to talk to in real time--even if it was for only a couple hours a day, because TIME ZONES--was a massive help.
Atario wrote:When you received work back from the visual artists, did unexpected aspects of any of it feed back into the scripting process (inspiring you to create/alter/drop any events/characterizations/settings/etc.), or was it driven purely one-way from scripting to art?

If the former, what are some examples?
It definitely wasn't a one-way street (I want to say some scenes were scrapped in part because the amount of work we'd be asking from our artists would have been unconscionable), and there were a few times where seeing a character sketched out or the way a CG was staged motivated a revisiting of a scene, but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

Was there ever any discussion on the tone the game has, or the theme? I know the game came originally from that famous sketch, but that only was a rough idea of the characters. KS takes some tropes common to anime and VNs and subverts them, putting the whole game into this "mature" and "realisitc" light, changing many clichés and such. So, was this decided fairly early on the development or later? And, was a conscious decision or it just came out naturally that way?
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Which artist do we have to thank for Misha's design?
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kon22 wrote:Was there ever any discussion on the tone the game has, or the theme? I know the game came originally from that famous sketch, but that only was a rough idea of the characters. KS takes some tropes common to anime and VNs and subverts them, putting the whole game into this "mature" and "realisitc" light, changing many clichés and such. So, was this decided fairly early on the development or later? And, was a conscious decision or it just came out naturally that way?
Of course. Even in the very first threads on 4chan when the project was born, there are posts about what kind of tone KS should have. By the time 4LS got founded, which is sort of another starting point, the idea of tracing the footsteps of classic bishoujo game narratives was pretty solid. We did have some discussion very early about cliches, tropes and cultural influences that set KS' s course for slightly less cookie cutter than To Heart or something, but the process took a lot of time. We found that it was more interesting for us to not go for the blandest, most repeated events, and since we had literally no other incentive to make KS than do interesting things, it was very attractive to go for something slightly different. Another cause for "realism" and "subverting tropes" is us having no Japanese writers. The Western cultural background affects writing a lot, and our mostly Western audience in turn identifies more with the familiar, even if it often is very subtle.

So it was both a series of consicous decisions and the result of natural inclinations. Anime is one of the most cynical subcultures ever, so maybe we felt it'd be nice for KS to be at least a little bit sincere.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:Which artist do we have to thank for Misha's design?
Someone called Celiest. She was with us for only a couple of months in 2007.
Valjean Lafitte

Aura wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:Which artist do we have to thank for Misha's design?
Someone called Celiest. She was with us for only a couple of months in 2007.
Thanks! I see that she had an art thread on the old forums, but all of the images are missing (curse you, Imageshack!). :(
"Everything."
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Silentcook wrote:There was, and it wasn't Jigoro's. And then there wasn't any more. :3
Honestly, what was I thinking?

And why was I allowed to get away with it for so long??

I know this had a lot to do with it...

My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Valjean Lafitte

You guys just love teasing us with these vague answers. :)

Can we at least know who the boat was for, if not what would have taken place there?
"Everything."
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:You guys just love teasing us with these vague answers. :)

Can we at least know who the boat was for, if not what would have taken place there?
Maybe it had something to do with School Days :lol: and the meme surrounding a boat?
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

You just know Hisao would have said "That's a nice boat." When he first saw it :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Munchenhausen wrote:You just know Hisao would have said "That's a nice boat." When he first saw it :lol:
Honestly, I think he did. I am in fact 100% confident that his internal monologue mentioned how nice of a boat it was.

And you can probably figure out who the boat belonged to, considering it was crud's running amok that set it into motion.

Somewhere in the fanfic forum I think there's a story that involves the boat. You'd have to go pretty far back to find it, though.