Poll: How did you play through KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

What did you do when you were given a choice?

I went with what I'd do.
57%
I went with what I thought was right.
29%
I looked at a guide/chart.
9%
Other
5%

Total votes: 174

Oshiha

Poll: How did you play through KS?

Post by Oshiha »

Hello everyone, this is my first topic on this forum. :D

Playing through KS was very enjoyable for me, and I've gone through all 5 routes, and have gotten the good endings. When I started off my first playthrough I pretty much went with what suited me and got the Hanako's path, afterwards I went for what would get good endings for the rest. After coming here I discovered the huge chart showing where each choice you made was taking you, and I wondered if anyone had went straight for the guides while they were playing. The way I see it going straight for the guide kind of ruins the experience, it's just not as enjoyable. =/

So how'd everyone else go through the game?
Ryto

Re: Poll: How did you play through KS?

Post by Ryto »

For my first playthrough, I went with pretty much what I'd do. I started off with nobody in mind, making the choices I naturally would, and then as soon as I figured out who I wanted to get (Hanako), I started making choices that either were obviously for her, or just ones I'd make in general (which usually coincided). Glad I got the good ending with no help.

Then I played the others with help to get the 100% completion.
100% Complete.
So here's my ranking:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>=Emi>Shizune
newnar

Post by newnar »

Ryto wrote:For my first playthrough, I went with pretty much what I'd do. I started off with nobody in mind, making the choices I naturally would, and then as soon as I figured out who I wanted to get (Hanako), I started making choices that either were obviously for her, or just ones I'd make in general (which usually coincided). Glad I got the good ending with no help.

Then I played the others with help to get the 100% completion.
Whatever he said.
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

I wish there was a way to select all three answers...

I did play with a guide for Emi and Rin's route, but the others were all intuition/what felt right. Normally the choices seemed pretty natural, and at the same time, the choices I made were ones I would do, and they were ones that felt "right" in a story sense and natural. So I picked I played what felt right, but I think it's more complicated than just guessing where the writing's going.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

I ended up using the walkthrough to get a few scenes from Act 1. I've played it enough times that I didn't need a walkthrough for the final release. Once out of Act 1, I didn't use any walkthroughs, getting everything on my own to 100% completion.

I first made the choices that I thought would get me the good end. Only screwed up on my first attempt at Rin's path.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
myshoesarebrown

Post by myshoesarebrown »

My first playthrough, I just did what I would do and ended with Emi. Second playthrough, I just changed a little bit and ended with Shizune. Though for my other plays, I used a flowchart to find the choices I needed to get on the right route for the others.

I royally screwed up on Lilly's route, however, and had to use a guide in order to go back and fix every mistake I made.
My shoes aren't actually brown. Well, one pair is, but I mostly wear grey ones.
Saucium

Post by Saucium »

I did a mixed approach depending on my mood. :lol: I went with the flow when I felt like it and consulted a guide when I wanted to a good outcome.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Saved at each choice point and methodically tried out each possibility... So: "Other."
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Quietpower

Post by Quietpower »

I played the fuck out of act 1 back when it was released, and I had my path completion order down, so I just went with choices that I knew led to the correct path.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

i have cheated my first time ... i used the chapter 1 flow chart to set me on hanako's path then chapters 2-4 i used my gut feels to guide me
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

During the first route, I went with the choices that felt natural, being an avid roleplayer to a point where it's ridiculous and all that...

After that, the "gamer" mindset took over, so used flowcharts on occasion to get 100%.
Glad about it too, would've never found Rins route without them.
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.
pauper

Post by pauper »

I did it the same way I would have done it, only made some changes to get different paths in act 1. Rin's path kinda made it obvious that im bad at cryptic things, lol
Completed paths:
Hanako - Good ending
Shizune - Good ending
Emi - Good ending
Rin - Bad ending :$
Lilly - Bad and good ending

English isn't my first language, so I might make some mistakes when I write something ; )
MrJackFrost

Post by MrJackFrost »

Basically, I do what I'd do. Therefore, If I were Hisao, I will:
1. Fumble into Emi's bad route but managed to escape back to her good ending.
2. Got into Shizu's good ending. (Unless if I was too "pumped up" during Tonge Tied)
3. Got directly into Rin's bad ending.
4. Got Lilly's good ending.
5. Got Hanako's good ending.

Yeah, it's difficult to me to understand Rin. So, yeah... I'll screw up with her. (_ _")a
Carpo diem! -- Seize the day!
Titus

Post by Titus »

myshoesarebrown wrote:My first playthrough, I just did what I would do and ended with Emi. Second playthrough, I just changed a little bit and ended with Shizune. Though for my other plays, I used a flowchart to find the choices I needed to get on the right route for the others.
This for me. I was aiming for Shizune's at first but got Emi.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

I just chose the choices which I thought suited me the most, well me if I had that heart condition.
Ended up with Lilly and her good ending, yay.
I have tried to play the other routes but they just dont really appeal to me, once I'm midways in their arc two I dont feel any connection so I stop.
:wink:
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.