Music and Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

A Humbled Fan

Music and Katawa Shoujo

Post by A Humbled Fan »

First off, I think the music is so fitting to this game. However, I'm curious. Did anyone else listen to music other than the music within the VN?

I was curious, and about halfway into Hanako's arc, I decided to try a little experiment. So I dusted off my copy of the Final Fantasy VII piano collections by good ol' Nobuo Uematsu and started listening to that for the rest of the way. While it's definitely not fitted to the game as well as the original score, it made the experience quite emotional. There's just something about melancholy piano music from Final Fantasy.

Or maybe it's just me.

Anyways, did any of you listen to anything but the Original Score?
Sindri And Bale

Re: Music and Katawa Shoujo

Post by Sindri And Bale »

I had a bunch of different stuff playing, between oddly lyrically suited power metal, to just a man on an acoustic guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CIZDwenuk
This song in particular played an odd number of times from my ipod, I think during when I played Rin's arc, and for me it gave a lot more impact to some of the scenes. It just felt fitting, but I couldn't tell you why or how.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Sindri And Bale wrote:I had a bunch of different stuff playing, between oddly lyrically suited power metal, to just a man on an acoustic guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CIZDwenuk
This song in particular played an odd number of times from my ipod, I think during when I played Rin's arc, and for me it gave a lot more impact to some of the scenes. It just felt fitting, but I couldn't tell you why or how.
It's funny, I know exactly what you mean. Some songs just seem to fit without any plausible explanation as to why or how.

One instance was when I was in the middle of Hanako's breakdown. The menu theme from FF XIII came on (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5_pyG9C4po). It fit perfectly with the scene. From the slight piano melody, to the small flutter of the strings. Quite an amazing moment, but I'm not really sure how it all seemed to fit together to make that moment.

Music works in mysterious ways.
Sindri And Bale

An example of lyrics randomly relating to the game is this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1t58YpBsOs
The line "Tide me over only one more night" and also "Its only one more night away" always make me think of either misha's visit to hisao during shizune's route, and rin's first H scene. That song in particular though is the one that is probably going to have this game associated with it in my mind for weeks to come. Can't tell if its a good or a bad thing.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Sindri And Bale wrote:An example of lyrics randomly relating to the game is this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1t58YpBsOs
The line "Tide me over only one more night" and also "Its only one more night away" always make me think of either misha's visit to hisao during shizune's route, and rin's first H scene. That song in particular though is the one that is probably going to have this game associated with it in my mind for weeks to come. Can't tell if its a good or a bad thing.
No kidding. I suppose it all depends on whether or not your experience was one of joy or sorrow. At first, it was one of almost depression-like sorrow. But after a while, it turned into a fond memory. One that makes me reflect on my experience, and one that makes me smile every time something reminds me of it.
Sindri And Bale

Its funny, I almost never felt depressed after playing the game. Sure I'd be thinking "damn, that's depressing" at some points in the game, but it never felt personal. Helps that I'm a sucker for good ends, always got them, and they made everything else that happened beforehand completely worth it. Kinda killed any sad feelings i might have had. Rin's route in particular.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

And that's the kind of ending that makes you feel good about taking part in it. Now that I think about it, I think the main reason I felt a bit sad after playing was because of the fact that it was over... to be perfectly honest, I didn't want it to end. And then I started thinking about my own life, and reflecting on what I could learn from the experience. That opened up a myriad of emotions and thoughts that I never expected to come when I first started.

But you're right, those kinds of endings make it all worth it.

Truly an amazing experience.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I usually have the Final Fantasy Prulude theme playing everytime I'm about to load a file. It kinda fits.

Another thing i did was I use the opening theme version of "Theme of Love" from Final Fantasy IV to Shizune's CGI. Fits almost perfectly esp. when Misha is creeping on Shizune and Haiso. It kinda like when Kain was creeping on Rosa and Cecil and feeling forever alone.

Speaking of Theme of Love, it does go wit hall the lovely dovely themes in this game. Glad I ain't the only one who tried to match up Final Fantasy music to this game.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Snow_Storm wrote:I usually have the Final Fantasy Prulude theme playing everytime I'm about to load a file. It kinda fits.

Another thing i did was I use the opening theme version of "Theme of Love" from Final Fantasy IV to Shizune's CGI. Fits almost perfectly esp. when Misha is creeping on Shizune and Haiso. It kinda like when Kain was creeping on Rosa and Cecil and feeling forever alone.

Speaking of Theme of Love, it does go wit hall the lovely dovely themes in this game. Glad I ain't the only one who tried to match up Final Fantasy music to this game.
It's pretty incredible how well they matched up...

Definitely adds to the experience.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

A Humbled Fan wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:I usually have the Final Fantasy Prulude theme playing everytime I'm about to load a file. It kinda fits.

Yeah, it's kinda fun finding which Final Fantasy songs can match up to a scene in Katawa Shoujo.

Here's another thing I've discovered in this game; The scene where Rin and Hisao are walking in the rain, the main theme from the movie "Taxi Driver" goes pretty darn well with it despite Kawta Shoujo not being gritty and rough like Taxi Driver was.

But after a while, you do want to listen to the original soundtrack of the game.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Snow_Storm wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda fun finding which Final Fantasy songs can match up to a scene in Katawa Shoujo.

Here's another thing I've discovered in this game; The scene where Rin and Hisao are walking in the rain, the main theme from the movie "Taxi Driver" goes pretty darn well with it despite Kawta Shoujo not being gritty and rough like Taxi Driver was.

But after a while, you do want to listen to the original soundtrack of the game.
The music composed specifically for the game is amazing. While FF (or any other music for that matter) fit well, it can't replace the music composed for KS itself.