KS Demo mistake? Released too early?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Csihar

Re: KS Demo mistake? Released too early?

Post by Csihar »

Suriko wrote:
ze spy wrote:Eh, like I've said before, I think there would be 1/3 the bitching if you provided atleast a "If we aren't done by then it will never be done date".
31/12/2011 (dd/mm/yyyy).
I hope it's done sooner than that, else we'll only have one day to play it.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

ze spy wrote:
Suriko wrote:
Smoku wrote:They give hints of what they done already. Read the damn blog post actually and see that they mentioned completion of some paths and last time they mentioned deciding about Hisao's penis in a Lilly h-scene. Do some maths and guess in which act that is.
Not sure if it's ever been said (it may well not have done), but the CGs aren't being drawn in chronological order.
fffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Do not despair! It could mean that that's the last CG for Lilly's path that they have to work on!
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Just something to note, we released Act 1 when we were starting to come out of a rut.

I'm sure someone has a log somewhere, but we thought that releasing it would be a good boost for us.

Also, we commented on the Grid 1 release, which gained us a lot of people (forgive me if I can't remember exactly who). We thought we could do the same with a "better-er" release.
And we got Pimmy and VCR and some other dudes.

I think that was worthwhile.

Also non-commercial blah blah. Really, we're all new at this. All of this. I honestly didn't think that there was a huuuuge delay between releases (I realised there was about a year and a half or so to go back then). But then again that is the benefit of hindsight.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Also do keep in mind that if there was no Act 1 release, you wouldn't even be here to complain. And I still consider it a distinct possibility that the project would have fallen apart without getting feedback.
Medrex

Post by Medrex »

The demo was anything but a mistake. It's unorthadox when compared to other VNs true but everything about KS's development is unorthadox. It's already been stated in this thread but you can't compare a well funded and well structured company where everyone more or less works under the same roof to a handfull of awesome but inexperienced people working together over the internet. Act 1's release was a demonstration that the organized chaos of Four Leaf could both meet and exceed standards set by mainstream VNs. It gave us all something to point at and go "See? THAT'S why we're looking forward to this!"
Suriko wrote:
ze spy wrote:Eh, like I've said before, I think there would be 1/3 the bitching if you provided atleast a "If we aren't done by then it will never be done date".
31/12/2011 (dd/mm/yyyy).
This actually fills me with mild joy since i'd mentally slated an optimistic release in 2011 and considered 2012 to be the more likely year it would come out. And for the record, no, not because of the 2012 end of the world jokes.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

I got as far as lubricating the fanbase and then I started giggling like a five-year old.

What are we talking about?

Oh, right.

We've been keeping this secret, but the fact of the matter is that investor capital is down so we've had to make some staff cuts in order to keep financially solvent, which is why things have been taking so long...wait, what's that?

We're not a company? We're just some dudes doing this in our free time?

...Who the fuck keeps paying for these hookers, then?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

TheHivemind wrote:

That's all you, baby.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Suriko wrote:
31/12/2011 (dd/mm/yyyy).
so the CC license will be null and void after that date if no release, then. >:3
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

cpl_crud wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:

That's all you, baby.
But...but I was using the company credit card! Where did that come from?
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

TheHivemind wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:

That's all you, baby.
But...but I was using the company credit card! Where did that come from?
They arranged for you to pay them back to the credit union once the project's finished.

Is your body ready?
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Bara

Post by Bara »

I'd like to respond to what Kaimax posted over at the Fakku site but Suriko's and other folks comments really said all I could say on the subject myself and expressed it much better than I'd likely do it. :D

(And how the devil did THM get a hold of that CIA Baghdad Station charge card??) :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

no one has replied in that actual topic yet so I doubt he's seen what the devs had to say.
Also do keep in mind that if there was no Act 1 release, you wouldn't even be here to complain. And I still consider it a distinct possibility that the project would have fallen apart without getting feedback.
This comment is worrisome. It has been 18 months since act 1 release. Does this mean that KS could be in danger of not being finished? I sure hope not.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Before releasing act 1 we had no idea whether what we were doing would be liked or reviled.

One of the better things to come out of the release was that it proved to us that a lot of our discussions were on the right track, being largely mirrored by the feedback we got. There was a very real danger that our internal creative mentality and our opinions of each other's work were flawed, which without outside influence, can cause lot of problems.

It also showed, contrary to what we had all thought, that we had an audience outside of LSF and 4chan. To an extent that still gobsmacks us even today.
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

After all I said about it being a good idea I just started wondering about something minor. Would the new sprites of Yuuko and Emi have been introduced if the first Act was never released or would we have never known about the originals so that all the debate here could have been non-existent? Just a thought.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

neumanproductions wrote:After all I said about it being a good idea I just started wondering about something minor. Would the new sprites of Yuuko and Emi have been introduced if the first Act was never released or would we have never known about the originals so that all the debate here could have been non-existent? Just a thought.
They probably would have happened anyway (if there's one thing that should be clear by this point it is that we constantly tinker with damn near EVERYTHING), but if we weren't constantly dicking around with releasing new versions so that the translation teams could have their stuff to distribute, I doubt very much anyone would have seen them before the game's final release. So at least we gave you all something to complain about!