Shizune Arc

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Shizune Arc

Post by metalangel »

YZQ wrote:
As you're typing into the handphone, she can well be observing you. We were talking about written communication face-to-face.
And at which point are you doing the body language? As you write the sentences out or as you somehow figure out which one she's reading?
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Both ways. As you're writting, you can have a whole set of non-verbal communication coming from your body. As she's reading, you can also observe the subtle movements of her body.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

How does she know which line you were writing with "serious" body language and which with "joking around" body language?

Do you physically effect emotions while someone else, hearing or deaf, is reading something you wrote?
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

metalangel wrote:How does she know which line you were writing with "serious" body language and which with "joking around" body language?

Do you physically effect emotions while someone else, hearing or deaf, is reading something you wrote?
Body language is not a product of the conscious mind; it takes a lot of training to fake body language, more so than to analyse it.

As for hearing sounds instead of speech, Morse code for Shizune?

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

metalangel wrote:How does she know which line you were writing with "serious" body language and which with "joking around" body language?

I think simple smiles and frowns would work pretty well in that department.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

For one thing, you've both developed psychic powers and can tell what part of a written statement someone else is reading. Unless you're doing it sentence by sentence (aka as slow as possible).

For the other, this whole thing came about because of text communication's inability to convey emotion and body language like any spoken or signed language. Unless you write everything like it was in a book (and even then crucial information about context is missing) it is just not the same, no matter how much you want it to be.

You can text someone you know intimately and still end up with messages being taken the wrong way.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

metalangel wrote:For one thing, you've both developed psychic powers and can tell what part of a written statement someone else is reading. Unless you're doing it sentence by sentence (aka as slow as possible).

For the other, this whole thing came about because of text communication's inability to convey emotion and body language like any spoken or signed language. Unless you write everything like it was in a book (and even then crucial information about context is missing) it is just not the same, no matter how much you want it to be.

You can text someone you know intimately and still end up with messages being taken the wrong way.
The phrasing of the message matters. As for taking things in context, it's pretty much a given, unless you like apologising for jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Well it is true that you can have fairly meaningful conversations via text. My closest friend and me type 90%+ of the time, and you'd not have either of us say that we depend on body language to get the message across.

Problem with that is, that requires two people who already know how each other behaves in various contexts. Very well so. It doesn't work with someone I newly met. Even then, it has it's limits. You need to stop and think for a moment how to phrase what and how to emphasize it given the context.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

@ Loonie

First off, Yes yes, I concede. You have beaten me, and I commend you for it! But next time you won't be so lucky. Secondly. I think I see what you're saying. And with that, I think thats one of the reasons why I really gravitate towards both the Rin, and the Shizune story arcs. Familiarity. I got sucked into them. Whereas with Emi, I thought the story was FANTASTIC, but I couldn't really relate to it at all, which isolated me a tad. I felt like I was seeing a meaningful moment in a movie while doing Emi, instead of being IN the moment. No fault of the writing. It was just me, as an individual, being unable to relate. *nods* I see what you mean now about Empathy and Sympathy too. I guess I can agree that we all have felt both of those things, and much much more, which ultimately drives us to be better individuals off of the computer. I know that since I'd read KS my first time, I'd taken to night walks, accepted the fact that ive worked at my job three years, and none of my coworkers understand me anyway, I've started picking up hobbies. I even took a leadership course at my job, and with any luck, it might lead to a promotion! One can hope, right? Shizune really is an...Inspiration. Not because of her disability. Quite the opposite infact. Its that drive and determination that really excites me about her. How she can be so calculated, so clear on a set goal, yet at the same time, be a warm caring person. What confuses me though, is if her story is more set in reality, why less people found it relatable, and thus enjoyed it less. I can only think that it was the readers original perception of her on first meeting, or the fact that the other stories were...Ehh...Bigger...Thoughts?
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Kutagh wrote:
Pascalla wrote:I just guessed that if Jigoro and Hideaki actually wanted to learn sign beforehand, like myself, then it might not have been a problem.
Then again Hideaki shows a slight interest in learning it so I guess even if that was the case then maybe the result would still be the same. :?
So maybe switching it out for another language in this situation would be unnecessary after all.

I'd probably just use pen and paper as well. Or I'd type out things in some way!
As a Deafie myself... Pen&Paper is good for occasional communication, but becomes quite tedious when you have to rely on it. It just doesn't encourage spontaneous conversation. Same goes for typing. Keep in mind that it is not just about you, but also about others. The process with P&P/typing is that you have to write the whole message and then wait for the reply to be written. Though I guess since dating nowadays requires whatsapp to communicate... :roll:
I was going to mention that-- I've tried to communicate only through paper and pencil before for Day of Silence events in the past, and I must admit that it really was frustrating. I got used to it eventually, but the people who weren't being silent didn't like it very much. It doesn't help when you're trying to get someone's attention and they don't want to look at what you wrote because your handwriting is terrible they just don't want to take the time to read what you're saying.

I totally understand that it would take up a lot of time, but if my family refused to learn sign, then I still feel like I would resort to pen and paper. Unless there are other options? O:

Wow, I had never seen the name "whatsapp" until now-- probably because I still use a flip phone, ah ha hah.
Last edited by Pascalla on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I used to use a pen and paper to talk. Easy to get used to, really.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

It's not difficult to get used to, but the folks around you might not want to deal with paper and pen messages. :(
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I used texts to communicate with my ex gf. We only spoke on the phone once, because she was so shy. (And we never met IRl, 'cause I broke up with her after 8 months...)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Wait, you had an 8 months text relationship? :O
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

I did not like her arc because it had what I would call filler in it. But it did have some really good high notes too so it is not all bad.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.