Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuNinja

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I'm going to drop 2nd Side and go for Steins;Gate, because as much as I love it, Narcissu pisses me off to no end.
What the- Why? :(
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:I'm going to drop 2nd Side and go for Steins;Gate, because as much as I love it, Narcissu pisses me off to no end.
What the- Why? :(

The story is great, don't get me wrong, I love it, and while it isn't as feelsy as Katawa Shoujo, it put me in a state of depression after Setsumi suicides in the first one but how ugly it looks really annoys me. This is shallow as fuck, I know, but I cannot stand the goddamn interface, and the fact the pictures are usually vague in showing what characters look like, and I'm not exactly a fan of the art-style.

I am a horrible person, but please understand I love the story, but my eyes hurt for playing it more than an hour at a time.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Then play it less than an hour at a time. It's only 15 (?) chapters = 3-4 hours. The story is great and the end will show more pictures of the characters. :?
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

OtakuNinja wrote:Then play it less than an hour at a time. It's only 15 (?) chapters = 3-4 hours. The story is great and the end will show more pictures of the characters. :?
I-know-the-story-is-great-and-the-end-shows-pictures-because-I've-played-Narcissu-already-I-am-talking-about-second-side-jesus
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I-know-the-story-is-great-and-the-end-shows-pictures-because-I've-played-Narcissu-already-I-am-talking-about-second-side-jesus
Warning, exasperation reaching critical levels.

To change the subject, is Da Capo worth playing?
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:Then play it less than an hour at a time. It's only 15 (?) chapters = 3-4 hours. The story is great and the end will show more pictures of the characters. :?
I-know-the-story-is-great-and-the-end-shows-pictures-because-I've-played-Narcissu-already-I-am-talking-about-second-side-jesus
So am I. :)
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: To change the subject, is Da Capo worth playing?
From what I hear, the first Da Capo is meant to be terrible. The second is quite good though apparently.
Mysterious Stranger

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote: To change the subject, is Da Capo worth playing?
From what I hear, the first Da Capo is meant to be terrible. The second is quite good though apparently.
So kind of the same deal as Muv-Luv, then? Is it worth the investment, I wonder.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: So kind of the same deal as Muv-Luv, then? Is it worth the investment, I wonder.
Yeah, it is usually likened to Muv-Luv Extra except you (apparently) don't need to play it to read the second and there is no real payoff. The second has very little to do with the plot of the first one apparently, it is set in like 60 years in the future from the first.
Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger wrote: So kind of the same deal as Muv-Luv, then? Is it worth the investment, I wonder.
Yeah, it is usually likened to Muv-Luv Extra except you (apparently) don't need to play it to read the second and there is no real payoff. The second has very little to do with the plot of the first one apparently, it is set in like 60 years in the future from the first.
Ah, well, that helps a bit... though I'd still feel guilty about skipping the first game. Hell, I already played Shuffle!, so it's not like I'm above playing sub-par VNs anyway.

In any case I'll just push D.C. down the list. I think I might play Sharin no Kuni, or possibly Clannad or Kanon next. Torn between playing another game from Akabeisoft2 (since I loved G-senjou so much) and finally getting around to playing one of Key's VNs.
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Ah, well, that helps a bit... though I'd still feel guilty about skipping the first game. Hell, I already played Shuffle!, so it's not like I'm above playing sub-par VNs anyway.
Oh, it is always good to play mediocre VNs once in a while, so you appreciate just how good the good ones are.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:finally getting around to playing one of Key's VNs.
If it helps you decide, Planetarian is a very popular starter VN and can be done in just a few hours.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Ah, well, that helps a bit... though I'd still feel guilty about skipping the first game. Hell, I already played Shuffle!, so it's not like I'm above playing sub-par VNs anyway.

In any case I'll just push D.C. down the list. I think I might play Sharin no Kuni, or possibly Clannad or Kanon next. Torn between playing another game from Akabeisoft2 (since I loved G-senjou so much) and finally getting around to playing one of Key's VNs.
Go Planetarian if you want a feel of Key in an instant, Kanon if you have more time, and Clannad/Little Busters! if you have a heck load of free time as they are about 3-5x longer then KS
Mysterious Stranger

stanman237 wrote:Go Planetarian if you want a feel of Key in an instant, Kanon if you have more time, and Clannad/Little Busters! if you have a heck load of free time as they are about 3-5x longer then KS
Well, I'm going to be playing all of them eventually regardless. Though Kanon and Planetarian will probably come first, if that's the case.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

I've finished Symphonic Rain, and it was awesome. It's starts off as a story of a protagonist trying to find a vocalist to partner with him for the final performance/exam, but it already breaks the mold in that you start off in a relationship, with all the resulting consequences of picking a girl to pursue. Of course, like most VNs, there's a lot more to the story, most of which is revealed in the extra routes that are only unlocked after getting the 3 main "good" endings, although some of them seem to leave you worse off than some "bad" endings. Speaking of which, I recommend doing Torta's route 3rd, as the story flows much better that way. Saying pretty much anything else would be a big spoiler, so I'll stop there.
Oh, and a few things unrelated to the story. It has a nice, albeit somewhat difficult, rhythm mini game, and the game sometimes has a tendency of abruptly crashing at certain points. A few of these crashes can be avoided by downloading an updated scr_qc.pak file, but some, I'm guessing the less common ones, don't have a fix, and the only thing I've found that works is to load a previous save in the Japanese version of the game, and to save slightly past the crash.

I'll probably be taking a little break from VNs. I'm eagerly awaiting the main heroine patch for Rewrite, which progressed at an incredible pace a few weeks ago, but sadly they seem to have paused for a while. So I'll either start Rewrite once that comes out, or if it ends up taking too long, I'll move on to Muv-Luv.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Mysterious Stranger

Flutterz wrote:Of course, like most VNs, there's a lot more to the story, most of which is revealed in the extra routes that are only unlocked after getting the 3 main "good" endings, although some of them seem to leave you worse off than some "bad" endings. Speaking of which, I recommend doing Torta's route 3rd, as the story flows much better that way. Saying pretty much anything else would be a big spoiler, so I'll stop there.
Somehow I was under the impression that Symphonic Rain had a linear storyline without any choices. Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.