The signing in Shizune's cinematic

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

RecoiL

The signing in Shizune's cinematic

Post by RecoiL »

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on a topic here...

The only signing we actually see in the novel is Hisao signing to Misha in Shizune's cinematic. Any idea what he's signing/trying to sign,
and in what sign language?

For quick reference, Shizune Cinematc 0:04 - 0:11
Image Gluehuffers, all of you.
Pseudogenesis

Re: The signing in Shizune's cinematic

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I've only been signing for a short while, but it doesn't look like ASL to me. JSL, maybe?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, and it's been confirmed either by the devs or Mike Inel who made the cinematic (or both) that it doesn't mean anything in particular. I might be misinformed, however.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

misterprinny wrote:I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, and it's been confirmed either by the devs or Mike Inel who made the cinematic (or both) that it doesn't mean anything in particular. I might be misinformed, however.
It might be why Misha laughs (as if she needs an excuse) that he's nearly said something coherent but gotten just wrong enough to be funny.
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

misterprinny wrote:I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, and it's been confirmed either by the devs or Mike Inel who made the cinematic (or both) that it doesn't mean anything in particular. I might be misinformed, however.
I've got no idea, but from what little research I did before starting a new topic, seems to me this hasn't been answered in the recent few forum pages, in the few topics that have something to do with signing or in the first and last few pages of the Ask topic...
metalangel wrote:It might be why Misha laughs (as if she needs an excuse) that he's nearly said something coherent but gotten just wrong enough to be funny.
Yeah, so much I figured. Still if this is the case, I wanna laugh my drills of at it too...

So yeah, would be pretty cool if anybody fluent in ASL/JSL could at least tell for sure if it is/isn't either of the two...
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

RecoiL wrote:I've got no idea, but from what little research I did before starting a new topic, seems to me this hasn't been answered in the recent few forum pages, in the few topics that have something to do with signing or in the first and last few pages of the Ask topic...
Yeah, I read through the entire Ask! thread (what can you say, I was obsessed at the time) and I may have gotten my answer from there.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

misterprinny wrote:Yeah, I read through the entire Ask! thread (what can you say, I was obsessed at the time) and I may have gotten my answer from there.
Well, ain't no way I'm digging through 200 pages of questions, having in mind I'll actually read most of them out of interest... I'll keep this thread up for a couple more days, then just post in the Ask! thread, then post the info here for easy reference.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

I don't think it means anything, it was just an animation to establish Hisao does try to learn sign language, but i could always make shit up. Hisao was trying to guess Shizune's measurements but Misha thought he was using centimeters as the unit of measurement and laughed at how far off he was. As for why Misha would know what Shizune's measurements really are...
...they're posted on the main sight. She probably just looked them up.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

Pyramid Head wrote:I don't think it means anything, it was just an animation to establish Hisao does try to learn sign language, but i could always make shit up. Hisao was trying to guess Shizune's measurements but Misha thought he was using centimeters as the unit of measurement and laughed at how far off he was. As for why Misha would know what Shizune's measurements really are...
...they're posted on the main sight. She probably just looked them up.
Pyramid Head
I'm not sure wether I should be scared sh*tless by the fact you're talking to me, find it sweet that Pyramid Head is a fan of KS or laugh my drills off at your comment. I think I'll do the latter.

Hope that's not the case though. Everything else is relatively polished out in terms of details like this...