New manga serial on deaf girl credits Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Merlyn_LeRoy

New manga serial on deaf girl credits Katawa Shoujo

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

So, NvRFRSKNSangin on r/katawashoujo noted that the one-shot story about a deaf girl in school, "Koe no Kitachi" is now a serial. The one-shot won the "80th Weekly Shounen Magazine Newbie Best Mangaka Award" but had some trouble changing into a serial due to its controversial subject matter (tentacle rape - OK; deafness - "..."!)

Anyway, it was eventually picked up, and the first tankoubon came out on Nov 15, which, according to this post, the mangaka credits Katawa Shoujo for inspiration (though it's unclear if this refers to the Raita drawing or the KS project Act 1, as the one-shot came out in early 2011):
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/koe_no_kitachi/
(click on MH Comments tab)
Visitor 387903 Nov 15, 201
The truth is, the author got inspired by Katawa Shoujo to make this manga. He said that on the tankoubon first volume. He even says he might introduce a blind girl in the future. This is going to be pretty interesting.
(Note: Ooima Yoshitoki is actually female)
Steinherz

Re: New manga serial on deaf girl credits Katawa Shoujo

Post by Steinherz »

Wait... deafness is controversial subject matter?
O.o
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Steinherz wrote:Wait... deafness is controversial subject matter?
O.o
I thought it was the bullying. That's what I'd read, anyway.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, the first chapter was well done, and it goes well as a one shot, but I have no idea why instead of continuing the story, she's retelling the story in an extended format. I have exactly zero motivation to read that, since I already know how it ends and it's probably just bulying from start to finish...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well, the first chapter was well done, and it goes well as a one shot, but I have no idea why instead of continuing the story, she's retelling the story in an extended format. I have exactly zero motivation to read that, since I already know how it ends and it's probably just bulying from start to finish...
Actually it first expands on the one off, after a couple chapters starting to continue the story where the one off ended.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Ah, okay, maybe I'll give it a try then.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

So is it just more stories of this poor girl being treated like crap by her fellow students?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

pandaphil wrote:So is it just more stories of this poor girl being treated like crap by her fellow students?
Actually no, it sort of focuses more on the bully than anyone else. It develops him surprisingly well as a likable character when he grows up. For the most of it anyways.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oh good. Maybe the shimmie will fill with Shizune/deaf-girl fanart now. :mrgreen:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Nishimiya kind of looks like Rin, if Rin and Shizune swapped disabilities.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Xanatos wrote:Oh good. Maybe the shimmie will fill with Shizune/deaf-girl fanart now. :mrgreen:
*cough*
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Oh good. Maybe the shimmie will fill with Shizune/deaf-girl fanart now. :mrgreen:
*cough*
One art is not a shimmieful. :x
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Hmm, I asked hir of the Japanese translation team, and he said the tankoubon doesn't mention Katawa Shoujo...