Where to go from here?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

shockzzz

Where to go from here?

Post by shockzzz »

Well hello everyone. Never thought I'd be returning to anything Katawa Shoujo related and yet here I am. I played through this VN awhile back and loved every moment of it. And when I say awhile back I mean when it was first released. So it's been quite a bit of time since I had anything to do with this game.

But my main reason for this post is to find out what I should do now. I played every route except for Rin because for whatever reason, her character just never appealed to me. I've recently come back to VNs and was wondering whether or not I should finish all the routes. So what do you guys think? Is it worth completing the game even though I don't think I'll enjoy it too much?

The other option is to find another VN. I just finished all the routes for a novel called Grisaia no Kajitsu. Which I recommend completely to anyone who loves KS and wants to find another VN. It's extremely similar and thought it was made by 4 leaf at first haha. But that's where I am at the moment. Do I finish this route or do I start a new VN? And if you choose the latter, do you have any suggestions that are similar to KS? I'm a big fan of the "male protagonist who's surrounded by girls who have problems to deal with and he eventually falls in love with them" category.

If you can call that a category. The only other game I've really discovered that falls under that is Grisaia no Kajitsu. Which was spectacular! So play it. Thanks for reading.
Steinherz

Re: Where to go from here?

Post by Steinherz »

shockzzz wrote:Well hello everyone. Never thought I'd be returning to anything Katawa Shoujo related and yet here I am. I played through this VN awhile back and loved every moment of it. And when I say awhile back I mean when it was first released. So it's been quite a bit of time since I had anything to do with this game.

But my main reason for this post is to find out what I should do now. I played every route except for Rin because for whatever reason, her character just never appealed to me. I've recently come back to VNs and was wondering whether or not I should finish all the routes. So what do you guys think? Is it worth completing the game even though I don't think I'll enjoy it too much?

The other option is to find another VN. I just finished all the routes for a novel called Grisaia no Kajitsu. Which I recommend completely to anyone who loves KS and wants to find another VN. It's extremely similar and thought it was made by 4 leaf at first haha. But that's where I am at the moment. Do I finish this route or do I start a new VN? And if you choose the latter, do you have any suggestions that are similar to KS? I'm a big fan of the "male protagonist who's surrounded by girls who have problems to deal with and he eventually falls in love with them" category.

If you can call that a category. The only other game I've really discovered that falls under that is Grisaia no Kajitsu. Which was spectacular! So play it. Thanks for reading.
Yes, you should play all the routes again.

Also, that category would be called "Harem" :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Steinherz wrote: Yes, you should play all the routes again.

Also, that category would be called "Harem" :lol:
Haha I know what a harem is but I enjoy the aspect of choosing and helping the one girl out of all of them. Thanks for the input though.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

If you feel like going through it all again, do so. If you don't feel like it, don't. *shrug*

From your post I suspect you just like these kinds of stories as a whole. Have you considered not just VNs but also true-honest-to-goodness-books with such a theme? I'm sure there has to be some romance novels out there that are written just as well as KS. You could stay with VNs too I guess, but what I'm trying to say is - good stories in the vein you mentioned aren't exclusive to them. So perhaps try to broaden your horizons? Or you could continue with VNs too - whatever you feel is best really.
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Loonie wrote:If you feel like going through it all again, do so. If you don't feel like it, don't. *shrug*

From your post I suspect you just like these kinds of stories as a whole. Have you considered not just VNs but also true-honest-to-goodness-books with such a theme? I'm sure there has to be some romance novels out there that are written just as well as KS. You could stay with VNs too I guess, but what I'm trying to say is - good stories in the vein you mentioned aren't exclusive to them. So perhaps try to broaden your horizons? Or you could continue with VNs too - whatever you feel is best really.
I see what you're saying. The reason I asked though is because I don't know much about Rins route so I didn't know if it would be worth it. And I am an avid reader haha. But I love the artwork of VNs and that's what keeps me attached to them. Seeing the characters is as important to me as hearing about their stories. Thanks for your input.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

shockzzz wrote:I see what you're saying. The reason I asked though is because I don't know much about Rins route so I didn't know if it would be worth it. And I am an avid reader haha. But I love the artwork of VNs and that's what keeps me attached to them. Seeing the characters is as important to me as hearing about their stories. Thanks for your input.
Well, speaking as a Rin fan I'd obviously say that her path is worth the heartache and trouble (and make no mistake you'll encounter plenty of both if you do choose to go down her path). I just avoided being a fanboy with my first post, because I thought it wouldn't be fair, but seeing you mention it again I think you're at least a bit curious to go down it to begin with.

So now I say...yeah, you might as well go down it. And maybe if you like to see the characters, comics might be your choice then? Although over there the selection of romance-based comics is very scarce (yeah...this is where manga comes in I suppose).
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Loonie wrote: Well, speaking as a Rin fan I'd obviously say that her path is worth the heartache and trouble (and make no mistake you'll encounter plenty of both if you do choose to go down her path). I just avoided being a fanboy with my first post, because I thought it wouldn't be fair, but seeing you mention it again I think you're at least a bit curious to go down it to begin with.

So now I say...yeah, you might as well go down it. And maybe if you like to see the characters, comics might be your choice then? Although over there the selection of romance-based comics is very scarce (yeah...this is where manga comes in I suppose).
Haha thanks. I've just started her route so I'll see how much I like it soon enough. The reason I avoid comics and manga is because of the simple fact that makes them different from VNs: you can't control the story. VNs are almost like interactive manga and for whatever reason I just love that though. Thanks again for all your help.
ZXNova

Post by ZXNova »

I'd recommend you play all the routes. Rin may not seem very interesting at first, but her route is very interesting. You may end up liking it the most. Though, when I first played this game, she was the character who interested me most, so I may be kind of biased. Still, best to complete all the routes.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Touhou guy here.
You cannot deny the cuteness of my avatar. If you try to deny it, your subconscious shall be devoured.
All of my yes.
By order of favorites: Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Shizune > Emi
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

100% KS then take a look at the local VN thread.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Weird Heather

Post by Weird Heather »

All of the characters have complexities that are only developed fully if you follow their paths. When I first approached "Katawa Shoujo," there were characters that I didn't connect with and didn't particularly like. In my case, they were Misha and Shizune. They reminded me too much of annoying people I had to deal with when I was younger, so they were hard for me to like. However, although I didn't like them, I found them at least somewhat interesting. I finally followed Shizune's path, and after seeing the full development of these characters, I came to like them. It is possible that the same thing will happen for you when you follow Rin's path.
Jedoisallerfairequelquechose!
ZXNova

Post by ZXNova »

Weird Heather wrote:All of the characters have complexities that are only developed fully if you follow their paths. When I first approached "Katawa Shoujo," there were characters that I didn't connect with and didn't particularly like. In my case, they were Misha and Shizune. They reminded me too much of annoying people I had to deal with when I was younger, so they were hard for me to like. However, although I didn't like them, I found them at least somewhat interesting. I finally followed Shizune's path, and after seeing the full development of these characters, I came to like them. It is possible that the same thing will happen for you when you follow Rin's path.
I felt the same way about Shizune's arc. I thought they would be annoying. Especially Misha. Turns out Shizune actually is a good person. And Misha, well, you have to get used to her, and you actually admire her sign language skills, and appreciate her. (I didn't think her short hair was cute at first, but it grows on you.)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Touhou guy here.
You cannot deny the cuteness of my avatar. If you try to deny it, your subconscious shall be devoured.
All of my yes.
By order of favorites: Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Shizune > Emi
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

It seems the consensus is to do Rin which I have decided to do. Thanks everyone. Once this is over I'll check out the VN section because I think I'm addicted.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

shockzzz wrote:It seems the consensus is to do Rin which I have decided to do. Thanks everyone. Once this is over I'll check out the VN section because I think I'm addicted.
I can recommend some great ones. :mrgreen:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Xanatos wrote:
shockzzz wrote:It seems the consensus is to do Rin which I have decided to do. Thanks everyone. Once this is over I'll check out the VN section because I think I'm addicted.
I can recommend some great ones. :mrgreen:
That would be awesome, thank you! I'd like to have a bunch of them already on my laptop for an upcoming trip of mine so I have something to do during the long car rides.