Finally giving KS a chance

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Finally giving KS a chance

Post by Xanatos »

gekiganwing wrote:Please let me know what aspects of KS you thought were exceptionally good or different.
No. Play the game and let us know. You're the critic here.

(And OELVN is indeed a stupid term. As if it needs to be specially categorized for being English or original.)
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

I had glanced at some of the flowcharts elsewhere on this forum, and thought that the first part of the VN was going to continue for several more hours. It turns out that my main character was one decision away from a bad ending. It was a bit more final than I expected. Also, if what I've read here and on GameFAQs is correct, there is just one bad ending, but quite a few ways to reach it.

When I get back to reading the VN soon, I will try to choose a path. I don't know which of the five girls I will choose. Might pair the main character up with Lilly, Rin, or Emi. (I stated in another thread that if the nurse were a romance option, I would choose him...)

Pandaphil: I have made judgments on forms of entertainment after only a few minutes, chapters, or episodes. I would probably be wise to finish books/games/series/whatever first before reaching a conclusion.

Xanatos: Thanks for continuing to reply. I sometimes use terms like EVN or WVN (English / western visual novel), but I'm not entirely sure I like either term.

Also, in spring 2005, I discovered VNs beyond the products that JAST and related companies released. I read translated freeware VNs such as "A Midsummer Day's Resonance" and "The Poor Little Bird" and was amazed. It was refreshing to find stories with no harem, no NSFW content, and a relatively short length. I stumbled across freeware VNs created by English speaking fans around the same time. "Black Pencil," "Heikou," and "When I Rule the World" were all short and worksafe. Two of the three can't be described as harem games.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

gekiganwing wrote:flowcharts
Stop that! RABBLERABBLERABBLE! :x

(Don't mind me. :lol:)
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Dream

Post by Dream »

Man, OP is really getting raked over the coals in here :lol:

But in any case, yeah i have to agree that OP is kind of going too far in his nit-picking or cynicism of KS, plus i'm surprised that up to this point he hasn't seen absolutely anything positive about the VN.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:Man, OP is really getting raked over the coals in here :lol:

But in any case, yeah i have to agree that OP is kind of going too far in his nit-picking or cynicism of KS, plus i'm surprised that up to this point he hasn't seen absolutely anything positive about the VN.
If he were raked over the coals any harder, he'd be Hanako. /burningjoke
neio

Post by neio »

pandaphil wrote:I'm just impressed that he's posted 46 times in a forum about a VN that he doesn't particularly care for.
Damn, that's more than me, and KS was one of the best things to happen to me this year!
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

gekiganwing wrote: (In case you're wondering, I dislike the term "OEL," and I try to avoid using it.)
I don't quite get that myself.

Visual Novel, I get. I've always thought it was sort of a clunky name, but it's the accepted one for the genre.

Original, I don't think is necessary. I've played quite a few Original English Language Visual Novels that didn't have an ounce of originality in them. For that matter, why do we even need to call them original? You never hear anybody refer to Original Platforming Game or Original RPG.

English isn't needed in the title, but I can see why it's there, but language is just excessive. Why call it "English Language" is that to seperate it from all those other Visual Novels that come out of England that are written in Spanish and Chinese?
You talked about focusing on what KS does better. So far, I have seen a couple phrases of dialogue and moments of narration that make me wonder if I might like KS. To be specific, there have been statements about the main character having kinship with the other characters, thinking of them as equals, and feeling at home in the academy. Those make me think that the story could be heartwarming.
If you like those aspects keep playing. They get even better.
2. I've become so pessimistic about music that I don't know if I have any ability to judge music as good or bad.
I can't really talk about music, but I know when it works for me and when it doesn't. I recently played a Japanese visual novel made by an actual professional studio and all the music there sounded like it came from infomercials. I guess it's just one of those things that either works for you or doesn't.
gekiganwing wrote:I had glanced at some of the flowcharts elsewhere on this forum, and thought that the first part of the VN was going to continue for several more hours. It turns out that my main character was one decision away from a bad ending. It was a bit more final than I expected.
No. Stop. No flowcharts. Beat the game first At least once with very route (twice would be preferable.) Then you can go back and look at your charts. Earn your endings.
Also, if what I've read here and on GameFAQs is correct, there is just one bad ending, but quite a few ways to reach it.
You just keep thinking that. :twisted:
Xanatos wrote:
gekiganwing wrote:flowcharts
Stop that! RABBLERABBLERABBLE! :x
And Xanatos has just outted himself as being the Hamburglar. I suspected as much all along.
Not Dead Yet
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

I'm probably gonna agree on the general consensus here: have an open mind, and don't be so nitpicky about unimportant things. At least try to experience the VN before going off and breaking the game with flowcharts and the like. If you really can't just sit down and enjoy the game, then I hate to sound rude, but you have no business posting your stubbed toe complaints on a dedicated board for the VN. At the very least, wait until you're not so cynical about everything to read it, if you can't bring yourself to have an enjoyable experience.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:And Xanatos has just outted himself as being the Hamburglar. I suspected as much all along.
Not what I was going for but okay...
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flowcharts are only for the scenes you absolutely can't get, like Mai's good ending in Kanon (or Shiori's route for that matter :shock: ).
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

OtakuNinja wrote:Flowcharts are only for the scenes you absolutely can't get, like Mai's good ending in Kanon (or Shiori's route for that matter :shock: ).
Shiori...That name brings back memories. <.<

And flowcharts are the devil.
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

Xanatos wrote: And flowcharts are the devil.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Solistor wrote:
Xanatos wrote: And flowcharts are the devil.
Don't you be usin' them flucharts, Bobby Boucher!
Last edited by Silentcook on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
Dream

Post by Dream »

Not entirely sure of this, but i think i saw OP around on another forum i recently joined. Didn't really get a chance to talk to him, but i hope he didn't feel too bad/attacked by all the replies he got here (or rather, the tone of some of them) Personally, i would find his review of the VN interesting, in a way.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

We probably were a bit rough on him, but he really did get off on the wrong foot. Coming in here criticizing something we all love while admitting he hasn't actually played it yet. He was kinda asking for it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.