Best use of Side Characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Dream

Re: Best use of Side Characters

Post by Dream »

HarvestmanMan wrote:Honestly, Nomiya is used so frequently in Rin's route that it's hard for me to call him a side character.
"Antagonist" or a foil/contrast to Hisao also seem to fit for Nomiya, most certainly.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Dream wrote:
HarvestmanMan wrote:Honestly, Nomiya is used so frequently in Rin's route that it's hard for me to call him a side character.
"Antagonist" or a foil/contrast to Hisao also seem to fit for Nomiya, most certainly.
^ This.
Also, I think Jigoro fills the role of foil/contrast in Shizune's route (but GOD is he a douche). (he also looks almost creepily like one of my favorite music artists, which annoys me because I hate his guts. Yet he looks like one of my favorite artists >.<)

In my opinion though, I have to say the best use of side characters is (for me) a tie between Hanako and Emi's routes. They both have side/major characters who play a major role in their route and don't feature in any other (Miki for Hanako and Meiko for Emi). They also help out Hisao figure shit out, but ironically the "minor" characters who help Hisao out the most in Emi's route, are Mutou and Misha (they basically give Hisao the logic to figure out how to save his relationship with Emi).
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Xybaro wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:Shizune's or Rin's.
This.

Also, Lilly is NOT a side character, @Dream.
For the purpose of anyone else's route, she is; even in Hanako's she's a secondary character at most. The same thing goes for any of the other girls in relation to the 'main' girl in the route you're reading. The only time when you can consider all five girls 'main' characters, is during Act 1; and even then the distinction gets skewed as you edge toward a particular girl.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Steinherz wrote: Also, I think Jigoro fills the role of foil/contrast in Shizune's route (but GOD is he a douche). (he also looks almost creepily like one of my favorite music artists, which annoys me because I hate his guts. Yet he looks like one of my favorite artists >.<)
Actually, I concur.
Jigoro may have been an asshat, douche, and pretty much an all-round-pain-in-the-ass in Shizune's route, but the one thing that kept him from actually claiming the title of 'antagonist' is his lack of major role/conflict benefactor in Shizune's route, unlike Misha. He is more or less a supporting character who provides background for the main character (in this case, Shizune).

Yes, he is an asshat but antagonists doesn't always have to be one. If you're reading a story about The Joker, the antagonist would always be 'Batman' regardless of his status. If the main character is a villain, then antagonist would always be the 'good guys'; works vice versa.

Take Rin's route for example. Nomiya can be categorized as the antagonist, but he's second to the main instigator of the conflict/foil of the story: Rin herself

Or at least, her soul searching. :lol:
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Megumeru wrote:
Steinherz wrote: Also, I think Jigoro fills the role of foil/contrast in Shizune's route (but GOD is he a douche). (he also looks almost creepily like one of my favorite music artists, which annoys me because I hate his guts. Yet he looks like one of my favorite artists >.<)
Actually, I concur.
Jigoro may have been an asshat, douche, and pretty much an all-round-pain-in-the-ass in Shizune's route, but the one thing that kept him from actually claiming the title of 'antagonist' is his lack of major role/conflict benefactor in Shizune's route, unlike Misha. He is more or less a supporting character who provides background for the main character (in this case, Shizune).

Yes, he is an asshat but antagonists doesn't always have to be one. If you're reading a story about The Joker, the antagonist would always be 'Batman' regardless of his status. If the main character is a villain, then antagonist would always be the 'good guys'; works vice versa.

Take Rin's route for example. Nomiya can be categorized as the antagonist, but he's second to the main instigator of the conflict/foil of the story: Rin herself

Or at least, her soul searching. :lol:
Well it has been stated there is no Batman without the Joker, so there's that.
And I agree, in Rin's route Nomiya and Rin herself are the "antagonist"
OH OH OH. I just found a good example of who I was mentioned Jigoro looking like Image
(I remember seeing a picture of Voltaire with a similar hairdo as Jigoro, but I can't find it >.>)

Also, anyone reminded of a friend's father when they were introduced to Jigoro? Like "oh hey he looks cool, he's probably a nice... NOPE"
I swear one of my friend's father acts very similar, stuck-up, arrogant and full of himself.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Steinherz wrote:(he also looks almost creepily like one of my favorite music artists, which annoys me because I hate his guts. Yet he looks like one of my favorite artists >.<)
For some odd reason I began thinking of Jigoro looking like Ted Nugent.

Jigoro looking like Ted Nugent.

Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

HarvestmanMan wrote:
Steinherz wrote:(he also looks almost creepily like one of my favorite music artists, which annoys me because I hate his guts. Yet he looks like one of my favorite artists >.<)
For some odd reason I began thinking of Jigoro looking like Ted Nugent.

Oh god no.
I meant he looked strangely like Voltaire.... except Voltaire wouldn't be caught dead in such a goofy shirt
I also draw, kind of.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Oddball wrote:I think Mutou contributed most to Emi's route, although I really do like how he handled Hanako's break down as well. It wasn't a big scene for him, but it showed that he really does know what he's doing. He's not all just awkwardness and science talk.
Gotta agree with you on both of those. Add his little talk with Hisao about why Yamaku exists in the first place, and you start getting why this guy works where he does. (The scene with him tutoring Misha towards the end of Shizune's route is also a nice little bit of characterization for him.)
Side note: Anyone else notice that the fireworks scene in Hanako's route is the only CG to feature Yuuko?
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

emmjay wrote:
Oddball wrote:I think Mutou contributed most to Emi's route, although I really do like how he handled Hanako's break down as well. It wasn't a big scene for him, but it showed that he really does know what he's doing. He's not all just awkwardness and science talk.
Gotta agree with you on both of those. Add his little talk with Hisao about why Yamaku exists in the first place, and you start getting why this guy works where he does. (The scene with him tutoring Misha towards the end of Shizune's route is also a nice little bit of characterization for him.)
Side note: Anyone else notice that the fireworks scene in Hanako's route is the only CG to feature Yuuko?
Yuuko gets no love. :lol: Well, except from Miki.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Xanatos wrote:
emmjay wrote:
Yuuko gets no love. :lol: Well, except from Miki.
Yuuko got more much CG time than most side characters.... not counting Misha.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:Yuuko got more much CG time than most side characters.... not counting Misha.
Yeah but it wasn't enough. :x I wanted more Yuuko!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

emmjay wrote:
I guess we take Mutou for granted, sometimes (like we do with some of the teachers we love).
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Dream

Post by Dream »

Xanatos wrote:Yeah but it wasn't enough. :x I wanted more Yuuko!
You can never have enought Yuuko.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Dream wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Yeah but it wasn't enough. :x I wanted more Yuuko!
You can never have enought Yuuko.
Damn straight :lol:
Yuuko is one of those characters that everyone seems to like.
I also draw, kind of.