Is Yuuko a Student or Not?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Minister of Gloom

Is Yuuko a Student or Not?

Post by Minister of Gloom »

It's been a long, long, looong while since I've last posted here, and to be honest, it's been long since I've played KS, too. A friend of mine, however, has only discovered it right now, and has pointed out what might be a plot hole regarding Yuuko:

In the Rin route, she talks a lot about being a university student - anthropology or history, if I remember correctly. But in the Hanako route, which takes place at roughly the same time, it's mentioned in many cases that she hasn't started going to university yet since she cannot afford it (she talks about it as an aspiration, not something that's happening right now).

Again, I myself haven't played the game in a while and frankly I'm not going to start looking through all the scenes to find this - I am interested, though.

So, did anyone notice this? Is this indeed a plot hole, an editorial mistake, or something completely explainable?

Thanks heads on!
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Helbereth

Re: Is Yuuko a Student or Not?

Post by Helbereth »

This supports my theory that there are multiple Yuukos, all of whom are fembots bent on the destruction of humanity.
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

Helbereth wrote:This supports my theory that there are multiple Yuukos, all of whom are fembots bent on the destruction of humanity.
The designer, Cirius Cybernetics, used a really bad recognition chip in the Yuukos' brain, which is why she panics when Hisao shows up unexpectedly.

However, Yuuko has proven to be an excellent model of fembot, adept at tasks such as calculating costs, ferrying food to customers, and simple organization of items such as books.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

My assumption is this:
Yuuko WAS a university student. She became a librarian and part-timer to compensate the fee, but since she couldn't do so at the moment she was a university drop-out for now.

She wanted to return back to university to continue her studies, hence why she takes multiple jobs to support herself financially.

I don't really pay attention to Yuuko and her back story (though interesting) until my second play through, but I'm assuming that's what happen.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
txalolrn9

Post by txalolrn9 »

There are two identical twin Yuukos

They live the same life like Christian Bale in The Prestige ( whoops, SPOILERS)
It only hurts when I breathe
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Yuuko and Kenji are both different in all the routes; as are most of the side characters, if only slightly. It's similar to how the calendar fluctuates depending on the route; each writer took some license to get what they needed out of the available background characters, locations, and events.

Aside from that, I don't remember Yuuko ever specifically stating whether she's attending university during the story or not. Many of the routes suggest that she's working two jobs to earn enough to afford the education, but none are really specific as to whether or not she has started attending classes yet.

My theory, if you'll indulge me for a moment, is that Yuuko has kept up with reading into her prospective areas of study, but has yet to actually attend any university courses. Considering that she works two jobs, and lives in a rather remote corner of Japan, I doubt she has the time to attend classes, even if there is a university near enough for a reasonable commute. Theoretically it's possible, but there are only so many hours in a week, and never once does Hisao interrupt Yuuko as she's reading over something for a paper, or studying from a textbook, or any other clear indicators.

Logically, I think she's working on saving enough for tuition, and working in a library probably allows her to keep her mind sharp. Were I to write a fiction involving Yuuko around the time of the original VN, I would go with that as a basis for her interactions.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

I think Helbereth sums it up nicely.

Everything I've seen in all of the routes is pretty consistent -- it points to Yuuko saving up to be a student, but doing some self-study as she waits. Her HS grades seem fine (she never mentions being a Ronin or a cram student) so I think it is purely a lack of funds (hence the multiple jobs which give her free time while on the clock to study). Her main focus is early European history, and archeology of the same period, but it is mentioned that she has not been to a dig yet.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Aside from that, I don't remember Yuuko ever specifically stating whether she's attending university during the story or not. Many of the routes suggest that she's working two jobs to earn enough to afford the education, but none are really specific as to whether or not she has started attending classes yet.
Doesn't she talk about her university experience in the Rin route? Something about falling asleep in class, and having to attend tests and what not?
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.