katawa shoujo app

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

swifty

katawa shoujo app

Post by swifty »

recently i found katawa shoujo and i've become a addict
but now my pc is broken and i miss hanako
so i looked for a app version and to my supprise there is none
so can somebody create one? or have i just missed it?

thanks for readin :)
or do i love
well there both in KATAWA SHOUJO THE BEST GAME AVAAAR!!!
Xanatos

Re: katawa shoujo app

Post by Xanatos »

Doubtful.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

The issue is that the license under which Katawa Shoujo is released does not allow derivate works. This means that only the Katawa Shoujo team is allowed to port the game and they're not interested into doing it. So I'm afraid you're out of luck :(
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Solution: Fix the PC. Start setting aside repair funds.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

That's too bad though... Would have been pretty convenient, and that's comming from an old Sony Ericsson user with no access to the internet other than his standard PC.
I'm guessing it would make the novel a lot more accessable these days, though it would seriously mess up the quality...
Image Gluehuffers, all of you.
gragon

Post by gragon »

but you could port it just for yourself right? if you dont put it online for download. (i might be wrong tough :roll: )
''Bear with the pain,but dont admit to it either'' ''climb the tree of problems and eat the apple of succes''
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

gragon wrote:but you could port it just for yourself right? if you dont put it online for download. (i might be wrong tough :roll: )
Legally, no still.
If it was literally just for yourself though, who'd know?
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Thespian

Post by Thespian »

Maybe if you just print out (or have someone do it for you) every single screen in the game, number the pages and add the "If A, go to page XX, if B, go to page XX" at the interaction points, bind it and there you go, portable KS book!
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

Well, news is there's a rumored port of Katawa Shoujo on the PSP for the RenPSP Homebrew VN platform.

Other than that, this year's April Fools iOS app.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

onenightblitz wrote:Well, news is there's a rumored port of Katawa Shoujo on the PSP for the RenPSP Homebrew VN platform.

Other than that, this year's April Fools iOS app.

Really?, that would be amazing I want to feel on the move
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Althamus wrote:
gragon wrote:but you could port it just for yourself right? if you dont put it online for download. (i might be wrong tough :roll: )
Legally, no still.
Short answer: It's not practical, but depending on where you live it might be technically legal if you follow some very strict rules.

Long answer: At least in the US, making a port just for yourself would fall under the format-shifting provision of fair use. However, the limits on this are extremely strict: you could not give the ported game to anybody without permission from the devs, and they're not going to give permission to anyone. This means that you have to make the port yourself, and so must everyone else who would want to do it.

But it gets worse. If you only had to port the game itself, that wouldn't be so tough: still out of the realm of practicality for most non-technical people, but doable. But you also have to port the engine it runs on, and that involves completely different tasks depending on the OS you plan to port to. On Android you'd have to port RenPy, because the current version won't run KS. On Windows RT you'd have to port SDL, the underlying game libraries on which RenPy depends. On iOS you couldn't use RenPy at all; you'd have to clone it in Objective-C.

Bottom line: A port isn't going to happen.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

Nekken wrote:
Althamus wrote:
Legally, no still.
Short answer: It's not practical, but depending on where you live it might be technically legal if you follow some very strict rules.
Still, there's this little bugger: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ (placed on the lower-right corner of the homepage)

Also...
Nekken wrote:Bottom line: A port isn't going to happen.
If you do have a PSP with 'better' RAM (like a PSP slim, perhaps), you may wanna check out that rumored RenPSP port. That informant of mine said there's one included in the download, but it's too heavy for him to open on the Fat...
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

onenightblitz wrote:Still, there's this little bugger: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ (placed on the lower-right corner of the homepage)
Fair use trumps licensing. That's the point. But also part of the point, as I said, is that it only applies in extremely limited situations: far more limited than most people who use the term claim. Merely "not making money" isn't enough.
If you do have a PSP with 'better' RAM (like a PSP slim, perhaps), you may wanna check out that rumored RenPSP port. That informant of mine said there's one included in the download, but it's too heavy for him to open on the Fat...
KS doesn't use the stock RenPy engine: it's actually based on an older version, plus some patches of its own. It won't run on the latest RenPy. This doesn't mean that RenPSP couldn't put in some additional effort to actually run KS -if screenshots are any indication the demo sort of runs, but only sort of- but it does mean that they're doing some additional work for no other reason than to run KS. That's where they may run afoul of the 4LS license.

Interestingly enough, though, it looks like RenPSP isn't a port of RenPy: it's a clone. It's even in a different language, which may explain the name change: RenPSP uses Lua, a language perhaps best known for its use in World of Warcraft.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
random

Post by random »

a very cheap laptop (hell I'm pretty sure a cheap netbook) could run KS
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

random wrote:a very cheap laptop (hell I'm pretty sure a cheap netbook) could run KS
I'm posting from my cheap-netbook-that-runs-KS right now. It lags the tiniest bit with the snow effect at the start, but is otherwise fine.
Thespian wrote:Maybe if you just print out (or have someone do it for you) every single screen in the game, number the pages and add the "If A, go to page XX, if B, go to page XX" at the interaction points, bind it and there you go, portable KS book!
A KS pop-up book, complete with a tiny soundtrack player like the ones inside of expensive holiday cards, would be kickin' rad.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.