Katawa Shoujo MUSH?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DrNonookee

Katawa Shoujo MUSH?

Post by DrNonookee »

Okay, so here's a thought.

For those of you who don't know, a MUSH (Multi-User Shared Hallucination, if you care about acronymns) is essentially an online chat-like environment that works a lot like an old-school text adventure game. It uses a lot of the same database-type functions to create a text-based virtual environment - individual rooms/locations to move between, objects and NPCs to interact with via typed commands, etc. While there are a number of different permutations of the MU* setup, MUSHes in particular are meant for social interaction with other players - think of it like a MMORPG, except without the 'RPG' part. :p

Anywho. My point is, I've done quite a bit of MUSHing in my time, and it occurs to me that Katawa Shoujo would make an excellent basis for a MUSH. Think about it - a virtual, text-based Yamaku where people can create and role-play KS-style characters (students, teachers and staff, etc.) and have them interact with other peoples' characters in real-time. KS is obviously a concept that's heavy on inter-personal relationships (of all kinds), and it would be the perfect place for all of the fans I've seen making their own KS-style characters to get a chance to bring them to life.

So, what say you guys? Anyone with the requisite skills and know-how to make this happen? Anyone even care enough? :P
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: Katawa Shoujo MUSH?

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Pretty sure that would violate the copyright.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Episcia

Post by Episcia »

Oh boy.

As interesting it may be, it -can- be considered a derivative work and will violate the license. Highly unlikely this'll ever fly.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Fuck it, a Mush can be considered Fan Material not copyright infringement. You guys are acting like EA lawyers.

I used to play MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) way back in the 90's, it was nice enough, but i think you can make almost the same thing using irc, you know, you can make lots of channels for different parts of the school and the users just roleplay/interact with each other. Its not the same thing, but its way easier though.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

I was thinking something like this awhile back, but in a more 'story-text' format.

A cooperation from all KS writers (hell, everyone) active out here in this board to create one, long story of "us" (as characters, of course) detailing the events of "our" third year in Yamaku and post them in one thread in the fanfiction board.

So it's like a huge story, each from the perspective of "our" own character on who to friend, what to do, etc. (of course in this case, a lot of PMs need to be forwarded to and fro between each participant for each "chapter" involving them or their characters).

...or something like that.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

I'm guessing RP threads aren't allowed on here?
Where we can make our own character, give them a background story and roam around Yamaku, deciding who to make friends with, etc...
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

No, and I completely understand the moderating headache that such a thing would involve. An IRC channel would have similar problems. If people are really into this idea, there's a d20 tabletop game designed for high school romance stories, just get a copy and jump on Google talk with some peeps.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

So, in short, the thing which you talk about is some sort of RP right?

Well, fine, but I guess that majority of the people would be male players playing male characters. So, it's not convenient for some sort of a romance game like Katawa Shoujo was.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

I'm not exactly thinking about RP.

It's more like...short stories. Although they are linked with one another and are written by different people and authors
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Revvy wrote:I'm guessing RP threads aren't allowed on here?
Where we can make our own character, give them a background story and roam around Yamaku, deciding who to make friends with, etc...
You know, that would actually be pretty fun. I mean there is already a create a character thread in the fanworks section, so i would not see the harm in letting an RP start here. Only thing is i am not sure how active it would be, but there seems to be alot of regulars here so i could see it doing alright.

I would have to brush up on my RP skills. I havent RP'd in years, and that was in One Piece, Marvel Comics, and Lord of the Rings RP. KS RP would be so much different, but fun and refreshing i think.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:, there's a d20 tabletop game designed for high school romance stories,
What.the.fuck?
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Tomate wrote:
WorldlyWiseman wrote:, there's a d20 tabletop game designed for high school romance stories,
What.the.fuck?
Yeah I know, you need to tell me more about this.

Although I have considered doing a Maid RPG module set at Yamaku High. . .
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

themocaw wrote:
Tomate wrote:
What.the.fuck?
Yeah I know, you need to tell me more about this.

Although I have considered doing a Maid RPG module set at Yamaku High. . .
It popped up somewhere in the Ask thread, I think at a point when several people were asking questions about the Japanese school year. The rulebook was brought up because someone wanted to mention that it has some in-depth explanations of the Japanese school system explained in useful storytelling terms. It was named like "Something-something Hearts."

I can remember all that, but not the page number. :?
Erenussocrates wrote:So, in short, the thing which you talk about is some sort of RP right?

Well, fine, but I guess that majority of the people would be male players playing male characters. So, it's not convenient for some sort of a romance game like Katawa Shoujo was.
There have been stranger things roleplayed with dice.
Axelownz wrote: You know, that would actually be pretty fun. I mean there is already a create a character thread in the fanworks section, so i would not see the harm in letting an RP start here. Only thing is i am not sure how active it would be, but there seems to be alot of regulars here so i could see it doing alright.
No, you don't see the harm. The devs don't allow CYOA threads, and RP threads would fall under the same category. I briefly considered having a fanfic snippet repository, for people to put really short or unfinished fanfic that didn't warrant its own thread, but I figured that it would turn into a request page, which is also against the rules.

It might be cool for some kind of outlet for this to open up, but it might have to be away from the forums
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Oh yeah, i see about the RP thing. I guess it could be offsite but i doubt that would work. In my experience offsight RP's usually die out pretty fast, probably better to forget about that then.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Tomate wrote:Fuck it, a Mush can be considered Fan Material not copyright infringement. You guys are acting like EA lawyers.
Fan material is, technically, copyright infringement. It's just a question of how much the creator is willing to look the other way.

Same goes with the KS devs. The license says "no derivative works." They turn a blind eye to things like fanfics, but they jump on attempts to port the game, create sequels, or similar efforts. I honestly don't know what they'd say about a MUSH.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.