Realization (Non Mental-health Version)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Deadeye

Realization (Non Mental-health Version)

Post by Deadeye »

I've been off playing other VN's and I've realized one very interesting fact. The reason I related so much to KS is that the communication of the story isn't so formal. With other VN's the language and often the custom's are based on Japanese culture, even if the game itself is not based in Japan itself. I know that comes with a majority of VN's stemming from Japan but it makes sense on why I can relate to KS more since it's culture in-game is a lot more Western then I realized at first. The other VN's are nice, but was missing something from that little culture gap I was experiencing.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
Lone Collie

Re: Realization (Non Mental-health Version)

Post by Lone Collie »

I didn't really realise that but now i think i can understand what you mean. Beyond the takoyaki and tea stalls its more western than you would think ^^.
Wander

Post by Wander »

Lots of western pop culture references too, makes you feel at home.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Technically, you would speak informally (in Japanese) to people you are close with/you know. So the devs weren't too far off about it.

what made me realize it is more western is their usage of first-name basis at first meetings. RL Shizune would look at you and signs 'are we already that close to use first-name basis', RL Lilly would correct you, RL Hanako would feel very much distance herself (feeling uncomfortable), RL Rin will be indifferent, RL Emi would laugh then correct you.

Not to mention the cultural references, but those are negligible.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story