42%
Misha
12%

Total votes: 785

GIRakaCHEEZER

Re: Least favorite girl?

Post by GIRakaCHEEZER »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
GIRakaCHEEZER wrote:But are those flaws, or are those there just make her more endearing?

If they really were flaws they would actually have a negative impact every now and then.
Well one of them managed to give Hisao a heart attack, him being the unlucky bastard that he is. Also mothering Hanako too much had negative effects.

Either way I don't think you can call her a Mary Sue.
She does have a flaw that you didn't mention, even though it's largely the focus of her path. She never tells Hisao about her decision until she's made up her mind, she takes it all on herself. He doesn't even get to hear about it from her, instead having to hear it from Akira. I always thought it was a bit selfish of her.

In her path her mothering of Hanako gets resolved rather nicely, it isn't a flaw unless you're in Hanako's path. Also the heart attack is just Hisao being the poor sap he is. Lilly didn't force him to push himself that far.
Music for a game that I am sort of working on:
Moustache Riders - Ignition
This seems to be sort of common in sigs here so...
Rin = Kenji > Hanako > Emi > Lilly > Shizune
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Titus wrote:Oh come on! She drinks a bit of alcohol during celebrations or a night out and suddenly she's addicted?

She has some fun with Hisao because she has a healthy adolescent sex drive , and that's addicting too? Couldn't it just possibly be that she's a teenager doing something amazing with someone she's falling in love with?

Really, guys...
It's heavily implied during her path that Lilly is easily hooked on things. Actually, scratch that - Hisao actually flat out states that sentiment several times during the route. Not after Unidentified Drinking Object, but later on, I believe.
GIRakaCHEEZER wrote:But are those flaws, or are those there just make her more endearing?

If they really were flaws they would actually have a negative impact every now and then.
Beyond Blackout (where Hisao almost dies, again), her alleged tendency to addiction doesn't have much negative effect, but it certainly could be a problem later on for their relationship. Of course, we don't get to see that, so I suppose that while that might not be the intended effect, it could just amount to making her more endearing (healthy adolescent sex drive, etc.). And you already mentioned the larger flaw, taking on the decision to go back to Scotland by herself.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Raiel

Post by Raiel »

Emi. By far.
Some of has to do with her appearance (don't like twin-tailed Loli's that much). But most of it is because of her Character.
At first she made the impressione to me of being just the energetic and overly cutesy small girl type (and damn those are annoying).
But then she more and more turned out to be as the type of annoying, average teenage highschool girl, who maybe serve as a
one night stand at best, but aren't that cut out for relationsships. Somehow kind of misplaced in a Renai Simulation (or maybe not
in an eroge). Or maybe that's just my view. But after finishing all the other other routes, there just wasn't that special feeling
with Emi, just indifference. Or maybe I'm just too much of a romantic. Anyways, I really don't like Emi and I wasn't moved by
her arch either (and I suppose that has to do with her character, not the story).
Lilly (Good End on 1st try), Rin (Good End on 1st try), Emi (Bad End on 1st try), Shizune ("Bad" End on 1st try), Hanako Arch (Good End on 1st try)
Favorite Char: 1.Rin 2.Misha 3.Kenji
Favorite Couple: Lilly x Hisao, Hisao x Misha x Shizune
Special Mention: Jigoro (for being awesome), Yandere Hanako (USO DA!), Emi's mom (for being MILFy)
Least Favorite Char: Emi (by far)
Ultraxion

Post by Ultraxion »

I'd say Rin is my least favorite. This is partly because I tend to find it harder to empathize with her struggles in having her work understood. Another part is her tendency to keep people at a distance, even Emi. Another reason, less related to her character, is that in her route, Hisao seems to make the least progress in rebuilding his life; he gets into the art club on a whim, and essentially ends up quitting by the end of the route. He also seems to be the most detrimental to the girl's well-being in Rin's route, as he's a major factor in pushing Rin to go for the exhibit (in Emi's route, Rin says she doesn't think Nomiya understands her method, which would indicate her refusal).

But the most important thing to point out is that she's my least favorite of the girls, not necessarily the one I hate the most. She may not win my favor as much as the other girls, but I don't feel like I hate her- there are very few fictional characters I regard that way.

Regarding Shizune (my second favorite after Lilly), I agree that she has made her fair share of mistakes, especially in taking people for granted. But to me, part of the route is the process of her realizing the mistakes she's made and taking steps to amend them, especially repairing her friendship with Misha and rethinking her view of everything as a competition. Hisao also goes through a similar process, realizing that he, in his depression, pushed away his friends and Iwanako while he was in the hospital (the fact that he comes to this insight, which might be because Shizune's route lasts longer than the others, is another reason I like the route). in that sense, while I found that Shizune is a flawed person, I didn't find her flaws unforgivable, and liked her overall character arc, especially when she rediscovers her original goal of making people happy.

As for Lilly, I disagree with her being perfect or a Mary Sue. She certainly seems like the most "ideal" girlfriend for Hisao in several regards; she's beautiful, intelligent, graceful and kind. However, over time, more and more flaws become apparent. She has some indications of being a White Knight for Hanako and Hisao, although as she tells Hanako in "Farewell" and Hisao in "Under A Bright Sky", she did not befriend or fall in love with them out of pity, so this may be a matter of miscommunication. She also keeps her decision to go to Scotland to herself, and once Hisao finds out, he doesn't challenge it because he's not used to challenging her decision.

Here's a quote from TV Tropes, while pointing out that Lilly deconstructs the Mary Sue.
"Ultimately in the good end, Hisao comes to the realisation that rather than a flawless saint who can handle everything that comes her way on her own, Lilly is just an ordinary human being who needs support at times just like everyone else and who's not too good to be questioned whenever she makes a foolish decision. In this way, her route is the exact opposite of Hanako's arc."
Favorite Routes: Lilly>Shizune>Hanako>Emi>Rin
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

I don't know why but I've never really liked Rin that much, She just seemed..boring and slightly ignorant
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Revvy wrote:I don't know why but I've never really liked Rin that much, She just seemed..boring and slightly ignorant
Yeah, you're not the only one. Not by a longshot.

If it was me there instead of Hisao, I would not have been able to put up with Rin. Beyond a potential slight initial interest, I would have just gotten bored at some point and left.

Hell, I did the same thing to a girl IRL. Went on three dates with her, and by the end of the third date I was just... mind-numbingly bored. I would compare it to talking to a tree, but a tree would give you more energetic feedback than this woman.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Mine was Rin as well. She is a cutie, but "Clouds in my Head" really turned me off and set the stage for the rest of the arc. There is no way I could have zoned out for 6 hours leaning against a wall, unless I was heavily sedated or asleep. Her entire story was at that same pace, so I have never able to engage or connect with her or her arc. She was fun in small doeses though, in everyone elses arc :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Hideaki. Oh wait...
Hmm, never mind. My answer stands.
~Shultz

Post by ~Shultz »

lol, poor shizune...

Rin. She really blows my mind D:
The name is /V/ice~
SirLadette

Post by SirLadette »

Not surprised to see Shizune at the top of the poll. Tough call for me between Rin, Hanako, and Lily.

Rin annoys the hell out of me, if I was in Hisao's place I probably would have strangled her by Act 2, she's endearing in small doses though. Lily is way to nice and, to me, she came across as very condescending. Hanako would probably be my least favorite, I hate the shrinking violet arch type (I know there's a lot more to her than that but it's a big enough part of her character to annoy me) and I just found her to be incredibly boring. The only time I felt any real attachment towards her was in her bad end, which to me was easily the most awesome scene in the game. I would totally date that version of Hanako.
Ship all the characters!

Reppin' Team Misha, all day ere-day.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Shizune.

I've said why in a few other topics.
Not Dead Yet
nemz

Post by nemz »

I feel oddly proud that my favorites are the least liked.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Shizune. Just plain annoying.
Then Lilly. Slightly condescending.
yummines

Post by yummines »

i dont dislike Shizune, but i like her the least out of all the other characters.

why? because unlike every other girl with their respective routes, she doesn't change at all from her base character. all the characters in KS are archetypes. the shy, timid girl. the one with her head in the clouds. the one who is overly nice and motherly. the one with something to prove. the athletic, upbeat girl.

in each of these characters route's their past is shown and they slowly develop a new part of their personality, and/or fix old issues with their personality. well that and/or find love i suppose. Hanako finally finds someone who loves her for who she is, and she no longer feels as a burden to others. Rin realizes that she really does not have to do everything people expect her to do, she is her own person and should do what pleases her. Emi regains her ability to love and trust someone close, even if their disappearance would hurt them. Lily realizes that Hisao needs him as much as she needs him, and gets a generic good ending. Shizune's... well. She mends her relationship with Misha, but that isn't to say it wasn't already kind of broken when it started. also she still has communication issues which are not any different at her good ending. and they dont even stay together.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Shizune. She is too bossy and competitive for me. She doesnt seem to care what you think and will override you without much thought. She is way too forceful and will strike you like she did to Hisao by slamming his head down on his desk in one of the paths. I would have very likely backhanded her hard enough to cause damage. I cant remember anytime in my life I have actually hit anyone, Im very passive. However, I think that she would be capable of driving me to retaliate.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.