nomiya

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Otakumon

Re: nomiya

Post by Otakumon »

Nomiya is a high school art teacher. A high school art teacher's job is to teach the basics, mechanics, and concepts of art. It is not his job to decide that a gifted student must become a professional artist. It's not the job of any high school teacher to decide what any student will do with thier lives after graduation, they're just there to educate them. Even guidance counselers can only offer suggestions based on aptitude test results and speaking with the student about what they would like to do, not actually make the decisions for them. When Rin showed no interest in an exhibition Nomiya should have dropped the matter since doing anything more than suggesting it once as something to think about is overstepping his bounds and getting another student to help convince her to do it is just unethical. Not only should he be fired but he should have his teacher's license revoked.
anon53

Post by anon53 »

geekahedron wrote: It seemed to me that Hisao was even more directed during Lilly's path than any other, even though Emi's arc contains the one-man science club. Just my thought.
I'm not sure about more, but he was at least around the same level in dedication.

As far as Rin's path goes, I felt that in the neutral ending, she did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but in the good ending she did the wrong thing for the right reasons. So both endings were kind of a wash for me in terms of "happily ever after".

It was certainly a hell of a ride though.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

anon53 wrote: As far as Rin's path goes, I felt that in the neutral ending, she did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but in the good ending she did the wrong thing for the right reasons. So both endings were kind of a wash for me in terms of "happily ever after".

It was certainly a hell of a ride though.
Mind telling me what the "wrong thing for the right reasons" was?
geekahedron wrote: It seemed to me that Hisao was even more directed during Lilly's path than any other, even though Emi's arc contains the one-man science club. Just my thought.
Well, in the end of Shizune's path, Hisao decides to be a teacher, and we can assume it'll be a science teacher because he excels in the subject. In Emi's path, he decides to go into a career in science. In Lilly's path, he decides to be a science teacher. He seems to enjoy both science and teaching, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he were to pursue one or both of those fields later in life in Hanako's and Rin's arcs.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
Kirkner

Post by Kirkner »

Otakumon wrote:Nomiya is a high school art teacher. A high school art teacher's job is to teach the basics, mechanics, and concepts of art. It is not his job to decide that a gifted student must become a professional artist. It's not the job of any high school teacher to decide what any student will do with thier lives after graduation, they're just there to educate them. Even guidance counselers can only offer suggestions based on aptitude test results and speaking with the student about what they would like to do, not actually make the decisions for them. When Rin showed no interest in an exhibition Nomiya should have dropped the matter since doing anything more than suggesting it once as something to think about is overstepping his bounds and getting another student to help convince her to do it is just unethical. Not only should he be fired but he should have his teacher's license revoked.
Indeed, butttttt, Nomiya is but a fictional character, so in the end it's the creator's freedom of IDEAS to make him as wicked as he is shown here. I'm sure you guys know that but I can't help but feel that you guys are hating him in an almost realistic kind of way. I'm not scolding anybody, I just like stating the obvious.
A Kimikiss x Katawa Shoujo comparison...
Mao - Rin... ?
Yuumi - Lily
Asuka - Emi
Eriko - Hanako
Mitsuki - Shizune
Best I could come up with strangely enough.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

UncleJellyfish wrote: Well, in the end of Shizune's path, Hisao decides to be a teacher, and we can assume it'll be a science teacher because he excels in the subject. In Emi's path, he decides to go into a career in science. In Lilly's path, he decides to be a science teacher. He seems to enjoy both science and teaching, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he were to pursue one or both of those fields later in life in Hanako's and Rin's arcs.
Sure, he eventually gets there in most of the paths, but emi's is the only one in which he seems to really have a DRIVE for it. He looks at the people around him "doing things they can't just because they can" and gives his apathy the finger really early on.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
KFKenobi

Post by KFKenobi »

Maybe he did overstep his propriety as a teacher, maybe not. It's not black and white. Yamuka isn't exactly a normal high school, and I'm not sure that all of the normal expectations apply. If anything, Yamuka teachers probably have more flexibility, and the students are probably held to a higher standard. This is on top of the fact that young artists often need to be pushed harder than you'd expect, and earlier than you might think. That goes double when they're struggling to develop other talents or nurture other passions.
anon53

Post by anon53 »

UncleJellyfish wrote:Mind telling me what the "wrong thing for the right reasons" was?
Basically, I'm of the opinion that Rin should have gone to art school, for reasons that others point out (you have to make a living somehow, etc). Her relationship with Hisao probably won't last forever (it might, but they are highschoolers, and that stuff usually doesn't last forever), and she doesn't really gain any solace from her relationship that would last if he suddenly left.

But she did quit on her goals. The apparent reason though, is a good one. Rin really isn't ready to devote her life as an artist. It is a hobby and she'd rather use it as a way to express herself than to sell off little pieces of to collectors.

Nomiya is right that she has the potential to be an artist (and that would be a good career for her), and he is right that in any career you need to be willing to play ball if you want to make a living. However, his motivations seem to be more of living vicariously through Rin, but completely ignoring her emotions, values, or the like.

And in the neutral ending, my statement has more to do with the fact that she was justified in breaking up with Hisao and going to art school, but that she could have done it in a more graceful way, and chosen to remain friends rather than completely cut off the world around her.
Just the way I see things. It was a really interesting story, but the Lily/Emi/Shizune endings left me with a much happier feeling at the end.