Copyright rules? For use on piano transcription

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

TehIshter

Copyright rules? For use on piano transcription

Post by TehIshter »

Hey guys, long time fan of Katawa Shoujo here, since the first Act was released (I'm a loyal Hanako route fan, haven't played any other route). I know there have been a lot of thanks already, so I'll save the devs for that (although they deserve it very much).

For my main point, I'm doing a Hanako themed short, maybe two to three piece medley/compilation piano arrangement performance including Hanako's Act 2 Animation BGM and Innocence. I was thinking of using the video and images with my video (as I did with my AnoHana video) and was wondering if this would be infringing copyright or anything. I'm not well educated in the field so I hope I could get advice from the great community here.

I'm aware that there's another piano thread, but it turned out in the end as a request thread for the transcriber there, so I don't want to delve in the same discussion. Mentioning that, does anyone else here want a Hanako themed music track transcribed? I will make a sheet music of the two songs that I've mentioned above, and was thinking of adding a third one in the compilation.

tl;dr - Would there be problems if I use Hanako's Act 2 video with my performance? Any rules regarding sheet music transcription as well?
Apologies if this was mentioned in the past threads already.
Flammz

Re: Copyright rules? For use on piano transcription

Post by Flammz »

I would love Hanako's theme transcribed. Even more so if you'll make an extended, long version of it.
If you're going to, please make an .mp3 too :D would be awesome
TehIshter

Post by TehIshter »

Flammz wrote:I would love Hanako's theme transcribed. Even more so if you'll make an extended, long version of it.
Man, thanks for the suggestion. Hanako's Theme is Painful History iirc. Though you might be interested in the arrangement posted on this forum already. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 741#p20798

I'll most likely make my own arrangement, but that one is available already and more convenient to start learning if you don't want to wait.
Flammz

Post by Flammz »

TehIshter wrote:
Flammz wrote:I would love Hanako's theme transcribed. Even more so if you'll make an extended, long version of it.
Man, thanks for the suggestion. Hanako's Theme is Painful History iirc. Though you might be interested in the arrangement posted on this forum already. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 741#p20798

I'll most likely make my own arrangement, but that one is available already and more convenient to start learning if you don't want to wait.
Ohh! I just noticed it's you! Didn't realize. I'm actually subscribed to your youtube channel for quite some time now, most of your transcriptions seriously give me goosebumps!!
I think "moment of decision" is easily the most emotional katawa piano piece, with it's awesome build-up. I like Animenzzz' title screen transcription as well..
Painful History is great, too. I think it's more beautiful with it's thrilling setting in the Act 2 animation short than in the in-game rendition.
Some other awesome piano tracks: Breathlessly, Romance in Andante.

Eagerly awaiting any work done by you! :D By the way, since the game is released under GNU license, I'm pretty sure you are allowed to make fan videos under fair use policy.