The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Whammy

Re: The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

Post by Whammy »

maggo wrote: 2. Hanako's scars look nowhere near as ugly as they should be. In fact, they don't look ugly at all. Animu lies, and it makes the whole scar issue somewhat less convincing which is a bit sad in my opinion.
That's probably just due to the medium being used here. In a drawing with anime-inspirations, it might not look that bad. But considering how extensive they are stylised, just try imagining what a person looking like her in real life, with all the detail that comes with it, and you might get a better picture.

Or we all just have a thing for scars. That's always an option.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

Realistic or not, I would fall for her no matter what. Some scars are bad others are not, depends.

either way its who she was that mainly attracted me to her.
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
CNB

Post by CNB »

maggo wrote:get your shit together, Hisao.
This is pretty much the running theme of Hanako's route. It's way more about Hisao getting his shit together than it is about Hanako getting hers together.
Hanako's scars look nowhere near as ugly as they should be.
From what I understand, they actually look a lot more livid and "fresh" than even severe exposure burns should look after 10 years. My guess is they were drawn that way because it's hard to give cartoon characters realistic skin texture.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

maggo wrote:2. Hanako's scars look nowhere near as ugly as they should be. In fact, they don't look ugly at all. Animu lies, and it makes the whole scar issue somewhat less convincing which is a bit sad in my opinion.
I knew a guy in high school whose face was scarred rather similarly on one side. That was a long time ago, but I'm assuming I must have looked at the scarring once or twice out of human curiosity, like probably anyone. After, though, I just saw him like anyone else. Didn't even register that he was scarred. He didn't make a big deal out of it, so no one else did, either.

It really isn't an issue, unless Hanako were completely scarred on 100% of her body and none of her was recognizable anymore, that kind of thing. In fact, I bet that in a few years after the story, she comes to terms with it, and lives a normal life (we see a bit of this at the very end, but it's not like it's an overnight thing).
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
squeeneytodd

Post by squeeneytodd »

Is it strange that I liked how Hanako ended up in Lilly's Good End than in her own Good Ending? I mean, it's like she really put effort into making friends and planning for the future in Lilly's route. She learned to let go of Lilly and Hisao and go on her own two feet. I honestly think she was better off that way.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

How long is it from the end of Hanako's path to graduation? Possibly using Shizune's route as a measuring stick, since people say it goes up until graduation.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

squeeneytodd wrote:Is it strange that I liked how Hanako ended up in Lilly's Good End than in her own Good Ending? I mean, it's like she really put effort into making friends and planning for the future in Lilly's route. She learned to let go of Lilly and Hisao and go on her own two feet. I honestly think she was better off that way.
No, that's not strange at all. Several folks have made that observation.
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

It really isn't an issue, unless Hanako were completely scarred on 100% of her body and none of her was recognizable anymore, that kind of thing.
Hanako's real issue isn't so much the physical scarring, but the mental part. The trauma of losing her family, the long stay at the hospital, her closest friends becoming her bullies and the idea she was unwanted that was reinforced by her failure to get adopted created a mindset that's much more crippling than her physical condition.
Is it strange that I liked how Hanako ended up in Lilly's Good End than in her own Good Ending? I mean, it's like she really put effort into making friends and planning for the future in Lilly's route. She learned to let go of Lilly and Hisao and go on her own two feet. I honestly think she was better off that way.
Many people noticed that, though it's kinda comparing apples and oranges. Hanako's own arc ends before Lilly even got back from her first trip to Scotland and it ends minutes after she has a major personal breakthrough. Lilly's arc ends quite some time after Hanako's ending and Hanako's more minor breakthrough occurs somewhere in the middle of the arc with plenty of time afterwards to show the player the results.

I personally think in the long run, Hanako's better off in her own arc since she expands her boundaries more. Her various actions, from sharing things about her past with Hisao that she never even shared with Lilly, to taking the initiative to sleep with him in order to keep him close to kissing him in public show active attempts to try and improve her own situation. In Lilly's arc, Hanako doesn't end up in the newspaper club through her own initiative, but she simply accepts Naomi's invitation to join. (instead of Igottagodosomething-ing Naomi as she might have done before) Instead of taking charge herself, Hanako's improvements in her life come from simply being more open to opportunities as they present themselves, which is more of a passive approach. So apples and oranges, kind of.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Well either way she learns from it, Hanako's route or Lilly. In lilly's is over time she opens alittle, and in Hanako's route its a big break through! kissing Hisao in public and all of their emotions are exaplained, they begin to break down walls...

In away she has it easier in Lilly's but i don't think she would ever mature without Hisao being by her side, She would've never have become open without Hisao loving her. It was hard, but hardships in life are meant to build character not destroy us....

Another is in Hananko's breaking down walls, while they're still there in lillys....so she never moved past, other than being less nervous....around crowds...

So i think its better for her in her route! because she would never moved on in her life without Hisao she seems to act more open and that in Lillys because you became a friend to her as lilly did, a close friend.

In Hananko's if i remember she says she never fully trust Hisao till the end of the game...and kissing Hisao proves not only does she trust Hisao, but that shes become less subconcious...

IMO Hanako's way though sad and heart wrenching is the only way she truly improved....Some times it takes a dramatic experience for us to learn and imrpove ourselves and push us truly past our limits.... Lillys way only seems better because of the niceness of what happens...thats all, She join the newspaper club atleast, thats a major plus. Don't get my wrong though Hanako's way i consider my true way to do the story, its nice to see she doesn't suffer in Lilly's story....atleast at the end
Last edited by Maakasu_Taihaku on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Brogurt wrote:How long is it from the end of Hanako's path to graduation? Possibly using Shizune's route as a measuring stick, since people say it goes up until graduation.
I'd guess since Lilly has not come back from Scotland yet, and in Lilly's path there are still end term exams after her return, there are at least two weeks till the summer break starts, so it should be early to mid-July.
Graduation is at the end of March, so 8-9 months.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
CNB

Post by CNB »

squeeneytodd wrote:Is it strange that I liked how Hanako ended up in Lilly's Good End than in her own Good Ending?
There needs to be a FAQ or a copypasta or something for this.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:Well either way she learns from it, Hanako's route or Lilly. In lilly's is over time she opens alittle, and in Hanako's route its a big break through! kissing Hisao in public and all of their emotions are exaplained, they begin to break down walls...

In away she has it easier in Lilly's but i don't think she would ever mature without Hisao being by her side, She would've never have become open without Hisao loving her. It was hard, but hardships in life are meant to build character not destroy us....

Another is in Hananko's breaking down walls, while they're still there in lillys....so she never moved past, other than being less nervous....around crowds...

So i think its better for her in her route! because she would never moved on in her life without Hisao she seems to act more open and that in Lillys because you became a friend to her as lilly did, a close friend.

In Hananko's if i remember she says she never fully trust Hisao till the end of the game...and kissing Hisao proves not only does she trust Hisao, but that shes become less subconcious...

IMO Hanako's way though sad and heart wrenching is the only way she truly improved....Some times it takes a dramatic experience for us to learn and imrpove ourselves and push us truly past our limits.... Lillys way only seems better because of the niceness of what happens...thats all, She join the newspaper club atleast, thats a major plus. Don't get my wrong though Hanako's way i consider my true way to do the story, its nice to see she doesn't suffer in Lilly's story....atleast at the end
I kind of get your point but I partially disagree. Allow me to quote... myself, just a few minutes ago, in a different topic :
The notion seems reaffirmed in Lilly's route, simply because Lilly herself notes how much Hisao's presence helped in Hanako's growth, but also how visible it is that she *needs* her space to grow. The reason that Hisao is helpful is because, in Lilly's route, he has almost no protective instinct over Hanako to begin with. In Hanako's good route, it's the shredding of that protective instinct and Hanako's over secretiveness that helps her develop just as marvelously at the very end of her route.
Basically, she needs either a romantic partner or a true friend, as well as some space of her own, to develop into the better person in either Lilly's route or her own.
In both Hanako and Lilly's route, Hisao is shown as someone important and special to Hanako, in a way. In Lilly's route, it's more behind the scenes, but Lilly mentions how important Hisao was in developing Hanako's newfound sense of self-confidence. It ws behind the scenes, but it is noted as being there.

Basically it's what I said, Hanako needs space and an additional true friend to develop, at least. A romantic partner is equally good for her, at the very least, but so far, it's not neccessary for her growth. Without overt protective instinct Hisao has in Hanako's route, in Lilly's path our main hero is capable of providing her with just that. Another true friend who quite quickly learns how to treat her like an equal, if with a bit of delicacy.

Lilly is a great friend, a very reliable person and someone to depend on; however, she is far too caring, nurturing and motherly to allow such a change on her own, I think. She realizes she is sometimes overbearing but has some troubles acting for it. Lilly's Hisao doesn't share those problems and is capable of treating Hanako as an equal, something she needs to develop a sense of self-worth, which is something she needs in order to start interacting with people which, finally, is something she needs to become truly happy.

Hanako is capable of achieving hapiness in both routes. It's just done in a different way, and a different kind of support.
CNB wrote:
squeeneytodd wrote:Is it strange that I liked how Hanako ended up in Lilly's Good End than in her own Good Ending?
There needs to be a FAQ or a copypasta or something for this.
True. I think it was explained a lot. The feeling may stay there, but we have to remember the way it was in terms of the progress.

It wouldn't hurt however if Hanako had at least one more scene to her, preferably one where they make it official (at least to Lilly) what their relationship is now. It may be less satisfying than a "Come on people, look all you want" kiss at the end of normal Hanako's route, but it would show more of her development.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Maakasu_Taihaku

Ya i understand your point and others, just difference in growth..

Emotionally Lilly's route was nicer, and better for her emtionally, but as a person, it depends. Shes does make some new friends
Believe me it left me smiling, to see her improve as she did. Saddly though we don't know if she would improve 100x better after ther story or not...cause it ends with her kissing Hisao in public

so i think its hard to debate the case...

Everyone on both sides lets agree to disagree, until we know how Hanako changes after her story ends...if we the pleasure....
Cause to me i could see her improving far pass her current state in Lillys, then again she still said she didn't like people in her story...but yet like i said how do we know how much she changes after her story...other that speculating
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

What Hanako thinks when she hears the word birthday
Maakasu_Taihaku

Fretless wrote:What Hanako thinks when she hears the word birthday
Was checking out, but it was removed by user...