Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:IMO, the movie is much better. The anime dragged on too long and didn't explore the other routes enough.

Air will be translated before you learn enough Japanese to read it. :lol:
You never know, it's been 12 years now and it still hasn't been translated, after all. :P
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Dischan recently started selling "Episode 1" of their new VN, "Dysfunctional Systems." The promo video makes it look pretty high quality, and it only costs $5: https://dischan.org/store/product.php?productID=8

I haven't played it yet, but I thought it bore mentioning here in this thread for my fellow VN-hungry peeps. I'll probably buy it in the next week or two, once I give Clannad another stab and decide whether it's worth it to continue plugging away at it, or whether it goes on the "just not for me" pile.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:IMO, the movie is much better. The anime dragged on too long and didn't explore the other routes enough.

Air will be translated before you learn enough Japanese to read it. :lol:
You never know, it's been 12 years now and it still hasn't been translated, after all. :P
You'll probably spend 12 years trying to learn Japanese. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:You'll probably spend 12 years trying to learn Japanese. :P
We'll see about that. :P
And even if I don't make it in time for Air, there's always a ton of other VNs that nobody has translated yet. :lol:
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote: We'll see about that. :P
And even if I don't make it in time for Air, there's always a ton of other VNs that nobody has translated yet. :lol:
Don't give up. Keep in mind that there were some men is the past who can write and speak 20-ish language without internet connection then. :lol:

By the way, Can I watch the Higurashi anime now? :(
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:Don't give up. Keep in mind that there were some men is the past who can write and speak 20-ish language without internet connection then. :lol:

By the way, Can I watch the Higurashi anime now? :(
The fact that they didn't have an internet connection was an advantage for them, they didn't have anything that would eat all of their time. :lol:

I can't physically stop you from watching the anime, so yes you can. :P But I'd still suggest you read Kai first. At least don't go further in the anime than you did in the VN.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I've been studying Japanese for almost a year now (if you count all the self-study, I've studied since 2009) but I still can't read an untranslated VN. Watch an anime without subs, yes, but not a VN. :lol:
First you have to learn how to speak the language, and as if that wasn't hard enough, you then have to learn all the kanji. :shock:
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I've been studying Japanese for almost a year now (if you count all the self-study, I've studied since 2009) but I still can't read an untranslated VN. Watch an anime without subs, yes, but not a VN. :lol:
First you have to learn how to speak the language, and as if that wasn't hard enough, you then have to learn all the kanji. :shock:
From what I've gathered so far, it's actually a pretty easy language once you get the hang of it, the main difficulty being learning the kanji. And I know about the difficulties of learning a new language, trust me, I'm fluent in both English and Russian. :P
And I don't expect to just magically learn to read, but I want to get to the level where I can read a VN with a dictionary in my hands. :D Speaking of which, I wonder how Japanese kanji dictionaries work... how do you look up a kanji that you don't know how to read? :shock:
Getting off-topic here. I'm almost done with School Days, just have a few more endings to go.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Flutterz wrote:From what I've gathered so far, it's actually a pretty easy language once you get the hang of it, the main difficulty being learning the kanji.
Not necessarily, I've been (attempting) to learn Japanese since last year sometime, and the Kanji is incredibly easy for me. I find that the hard part is the grammar more than anything, since there are so many rules to learn, and then on top of that a lot of the rules don't necessarily apply but you still have to learn them regardless.

Are you seriously trying to get every ending in School Days? You must have a lot of patience.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Flutterz wrote:From what I've gathered so far, it's actually a pretty easy language once you get the hang of it, the main difficulty being learning the kanji.
Not necessarily, I've been (attempting) to learn Japanese since last year sometime, and the Kanji is incredibly easy for me. I find that the hard part is the grammar more than anything, since there are so many rules to learn, and then on top of that a lot of the rules don't necessarily apply but you still have to learn them regardless.

Are you seriously trying to get every ending in School Days? You must have a lot of patience.
Well, not every variation of every ending, but every ending node on the map, yes.

Edit: Katakana are a pain >.>
But I managed to score 195/214 in my own java-written kana drill, and a few of the mistakes were from typos and such, so I'm fairly happy with that result. :D
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote: From what I've gathered so far, it's actually a pretty easy language once you get the hang of it, the main difficulty being learning the kanji. And I know about the difficulties of learning a new language, trust me, I'm fluent in both English and Russian. :P
And I don't expect to just magically learn to read, but I want to get to the level where I can read a VN with a dictionary in my hands. :D Speaking of which, I wonder how Japanese kanji dictionaries work... how do you look up a kanji that you don't know how to read? :shock:
Chocolate-free link

I found this web 5 years ago. It's acting pretty weird. But incredibly useful when I want to find how each Kanji in a name called when copy-paste don't work.

To find a Kanji. Search it in Vocabulary part and there are a small text called "Kanji lookup" in bottom-right corner of yellow card.

About learning difficulty. I wish to advise that Japanese may use around 500 out of 3000 in everyday life, and each kanji have more than a way to pronounce it. But human brain have great potential, according to what scientists said. So try your best. :D

By the way, You should try German and Arabic regarding language difficulty. These language are put "gender" in the verb and noun. (Not sure if Russian are so too) You might try that to make sure if you want to adjust your viewpoint.

I am born as Thai, with "very competent" English with some foothold in Japanese, I wish I can talk and write in many language. For now I want to understand Japanese, Malay, Russian, Arabic, Latin, Spanish, German and Chinese. arranged by priority.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:Chocolate-free link

I found this web 5 years ago. It's acting pretty weird. But incredibly useful when I want to find how each Kanji in a name called when copy-paste don't work.

To find a Kanji. Search it in Vocabulary part and there are a small text called "Kanji lookup" in bottom-right corner of yellow card.

About learning difficulty. I wish to advise that Japanese may use around 500 out of 3000 in everyday life, and each kanji have more than a way to pronounce it. But human brain have great potential, according to what scientists said. So try your best. :D

By the way, You should try German and Arabic regarding language difficulty. These language are put "gender" in the verb and noun. (Not sure if Russian are so too) You might try that to make sure if you want to adjust your viewpoint.

I am born as Thai, with "very competent" English with some foothold in Japanese, I wish I can talk and write in many language. For now I want to understand Japanese, Malay, Russian, Arabic, Latin, Spanish, German and Chinese. arranged by priority.
That looks really useful! Tanks for the link! :D

Russian is a really annoying language. >.> In Russian almost everything is conjugated based on the subject's plurality and gender, which can be male, female or neutral, and even whether the subject is "living" or "non-living". I should stop my rant before this drags on for too long. :lol:
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote: That looks really useful! Images for the link! :D

Russian is a really annoying language. >.> In Russian almost everything is conjugated based on the subject's plurality and gender, which can be male, female or neutral, and even whether the subject is "living" or "non-living". I should stop my rant before this drags on for too long. :lol:
Not to mention about the most character that resemble Germanic/Latin alphabet. About the link, You are welcome. Good luck remember the Kanji. :D

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I've been studying Japanese for almost a year now (if you count all the self-study, I've studied since 2009) but I still can't read an untranslated VN. Watch an anime without subs, yes, but not a VN. :lol:
From what I've gathered so far, it's actually a pretty easy language once you get the hang of it, the main difficulty being learning the kanji. And I know about the difficulties of learning a new language, trust me, I'm fluent in both English and Russian. :P
Getting off-topic here. I'm almost done with School Days, just have a few more endings to go.
Are you a native English speaker or did you learn that too? :) I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I understand most Danish, Norwegian and German. :)

You know what, I'll ask my sensei when I see her on Friday. :lol:
Flutterz wrote:Katakana are a pain >.>
I have a test on all katakana this upcoming Friday, and I Think they're fairly easy to learn. The problems are the advanced ones, like "ve" or "ti".
Auratus wrote:For now I want to understand Japanese, Malay, Russian, Arabic, Latin, Spanish, German and Chinese. arranged by priority.
I want to understand Japanese, Italian, Finnish, Spanish, Russian, Icelandic and Chinese, in that order. :)

ON-TOPIC: I'm currently reading Oreimo online. :D
marian11

Post by marian11 »

Can anyone recommend me a dating sim that is very similar to Katawa Shoujo ? The more you recommend the better. :)