Hanako's Face

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Medical Psycho Man

Re: Hanako's Face

Post by Medical Psycho Man »

That guy (suffered accident as a kid) nearly lost his eyes, his nose and mouth nearly disapears and yet his skins doesn't look so bad even tough he suffered much deepr burns.
Whitney Fang

Post by Whitney Fang »

I like to think of Hanako's scarring as being reminiscent of the woman's from the film rendition of Kobo Abe's Face of Another.

It isn't that the scarring is completely superficial or that the scarring is completely total as to render the person unattractive but a juxtaposition of both. The shocked reactions from people would be from discovering that one side was beautiful and the other was revolting. I think that that would be worse than having both sides scarred, because she would be constantly placed in situations where she would be reminded what she would have been like had she not been scarred.
Mumei

Post by Mumei »

Those are keloid scars. Hanako's house burned down in an ordinary fire; it wasn't freaking nuked.

I imagine that her face looks rather like this guy who went to my school when I was a kid. He was in an accident (I forget exactly what happened), and the right side of his upper body was burned. He didn't look too bad, except that the burned area was discolored (sort of reddish) and pockmarked, like acne scars except he was only in primary school.

Oddly enough, he ended up dying in a fire a year or two after I graduated from high school.
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

Mumei wrote:Those are keloid scars. Hanako's house burned down in an ordinary fire; it wasn't freaking nuked.

I imagine that her face looks rather like this guy who went to my school when I was a kid. He was in an accident (I forget exactly what happened), and the right side of his upper body was burned. He didn't look too bad, except that the burned area was discolored (sort of reddish) and pockmarked, like acne scars except he was only in primary school.

Oddly enough, he ended up dying in a fire a year or two after I graduated from high school.
There was also a girl in my high school that was burned. Half her face was burned VERY similar to that of Hanako (don't know if she was burned anywhere else) but it didn't look bad at all. It just discolored (red/pinkish) and kind of like a rash look to it and she seemed to be an open and friendly person although she did have her hair cut in a way so that it covered some of the scars. Now that i think back to her, she was a cutie. Damn... haha
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

Keita wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Doesn't it say "Dakimakura"?
That´s what it is and that´s something I know but he didn´t say "Dakimakura"! And "Daikatana" is too fundamentally different from it so I was not sure if this was a mistake or on purpose with a meaning behind.
That's funny, I always read that word as Daimakaimura (that is, Ghouls 'n Ghosts), but not on purpose!

Back on topic, I did not know about that Japanese movie by Kobo Abe, but that's exactly how I portray Hanako's burns in my mind. At school when I was a kid sometimes there was a boy with burns all over his face, he did look a bit like a less disfigured Freddy Krueger...
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

I wondered about her scars too. If they happened 9 or 10 years ago, why are they still brownish-purple?
CNB

Post by CNB »

Sgt_Frog wrote:I wondered about her scars too. If they happened 9 or 10 years ago, why are they still brownish-purple?
Probably because it's hard to draw realistic scar texture in a cartoon style, and still have people realize that the character actually is scarred.