What do you think about this guide to disability etiquette?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AapoAlas

Re: What do you think about this guide to disability etiquet

Post by AapoAlas »

Gundam_M3ister wrote:"As with people who have other disabilities, never pet or kiss a person of short stature on the head."
ZOMFG. LMFAO.
Okay... okay. Breathe... XDD
(This has actually happened to me before, although I'm not considered a midget or anything, I am quite short.)
I do think that's completely wrong. Small people ought to be patted on the head! I do that all the time! (Am 191 cm)

On a more serious note, even I do know that some people don't like it, and I can understand that very well. Saying "never" is still a bit... steep, maybe?
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Gundam_M3ister

Post by Gundam_M3ister »

Well, I don't think it would be too bad if you knew the person.
Think they mean not to treat vertically challenged people you don't know like children.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

I just read through it. Great guide in my opinion. Page 27 especially for me, and the last point under the 'Learning Disabilities' section on page 30 should really be required reading for dealing with me sometimes. I've got a form of Bipolar Disorder, and since it's purely psychological rather than chemical, I've not found a proper combination of medications to help me with it, so I'm dealing with it through sheer self-control. Also, I may never have been diagnosed with a proper learning disability, but I do have problems focusing in certain high-stress situations (such as when I'm taking an exam, I need almost complete silence to focus on one of those, especially if it's in a subject I'm bad with, such as math (algebra or higher) or a specific science. Even family have a hard time understanding this, so it makes things really difficult for me sometimes.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

So, to sum it up, don't do anything Hisao did during his first week.
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Censuur

Post by Censuur »

Honestly guides like this are awkward at best to deal with, if you use this "etiquette" in practice you will simply be running a program rather than formulating your own conversation, you're not yourself when following a list of rules such as this, which is detrimental to communication as a whole

That said, a guide like this is useful for information, but communication needs to be a natural process, constraining it in guides, rules and systems will only be detrimental, as it would mean every person would need an unrealistic amount of education to know the rules for each specific scenario, limiting certain figures of speech for the sake of not stepping on any toes is ignoring the real problem, the fact that someone would be offended by figures of speech that might be "insensitive" to their condition is the issue, not the fact that people use these common figures of speech, as a rule, you want to change yourself to fit in the world, because you certainly wont change the entire world to fit you

Guides like this try to solve issues by making them into something worse, rather than teaching a handicapped person to deal with "insensitivity" its basically saying that they're in fact, right to feel offended

I hope I'm still making sense here ^^
toue

Post by toue »

The guide was actually a lot better than I expected. The asking if they want help is a big deal, one thing that pissed me off to no end was when a teacher asked if I needed help getting the door opened, I said no, and he tried to help anyway. Personally I don't give a crap what you call me unless I think you're TRYING to be politically correct. I like cripple myself.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Napalm wrote:Thread resurrection?
Hidden Disabilities

Not all disabidisabidisabilitiesities are apparent.
Uhh... what?

Anyhow... Just read all of it. Will have to keep all of this in mind, as I now realize how many times I've done things wrong.
Just what it says, not all diabilities are immediately noticeable. If someone tells you they can't walk any further, don't be a douche and push them for example. Phobias are a big example, I've seen multiple examples on FML of people saying their friend/boyfriend purposely exposing them to their phobia just to see what would happen.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

russianspy1234 wrote:Just what it says, not all diabilities are immediately noticeable. If someone tells you they can't walk any further, don't be a douche and push them for example. Phobias are a big example, I've seen multiple examples on FML of people saying their friend/boyfriend purposely exposing them to their phobia just to see what would happen.
I used to know a couple where the guy couldn't sympathize with his GF when she would go fetal during thunderstorms. He just couldn't fathom the fact that it freaked her out that badly. It's not as bad as purposely exposing a person to their phobia, but still pretty douchey that he didn't even bother to comfort her despite seeing how she was affected.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who