If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
2%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
45%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 961

Radien

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by Radien »

jsc_tidus wrote:I dont really know the border of physical disability or a desease, but i do sometimes (mostly) got shivering out of the blue.. I cant straight up my fingers without shaking them (unintentionally).. With these, obviously i cant draw.
There really isn't any clear and obvious border, that's the thing. But there are definitely SOME clear questions you can ask about what a person can and can't do. For instance, whether or not you're able to live on your own without constant assistance is a big one. Another is whether you need special equipment in order to attain that self-sufficiency. One could also ask whether you can do more specific tasks, but it really depends on what those actions are... because no matter who you are, disabled or no, there are plenty of things you CAN'T do that won't limit you in most areas of your life. For instance, a simple case of nearsightedness may prevent you from driving without your glasses, but that particular limitation isn't one most people would consider a disability. If it were severe enough to become legal blindness, though, it WOULD be a disability. It's very subjective, right?

Personally, as the son of an eye doctor, I don't think correctable nearsightedness and farsightedness should be presented as disabilities, but only because of how mild they are in today's world thanks to glasses. They are, however, definitely along the same track as some things that could be called disabilities...it's just a matter of severity.
uwa wrote:My mother used to be in some sort of medical administrative position, and my uncle works for the government on disability claims, and this is what I've heard them say (I don't understand the system myself): It largely comes down to your doctor. If your doctor thinks you should get disability, you probably will, if not, you won't. Some doctors think a little pain should count as a disability, some think major problems shouldn't, and many can't be arsed to file the proper paperwork.

So, in other words, the system is ridiculously inconsistent and unfair, and if you're going to try to file for disability, it might be a good idea to shop for an agreeable doctor. But, again, that's just based on what I've heard without any understanding of the system.
Hmmm. But I have gone in for doctor's appointments with doctors hired by the state specifically for disability evaluations. Wouldn't the state put more stock in what those doctors say, rather than my primary care physician? As far as what I've heard, the PCP doesn't give their opinion of patient worthiness so much as describe what they can and can't do. Is that what you've heard?

I do trust my physician pretty well, and it's not just me being naive: I left a previous physician FOR my current physician, because my previous doctor was the one who misdiagnosed my stroke and put me in much greater danger. That change happened before my evaluations, though.

But anyway, thanks for your advice about the system. I'll keep it in mind when I'm asking questions. I mostly feel I should ask my attorney and listen to his advice, though.
Luisiroth wrote:I have paraplegia and I'm in a wheelchair most of the time. I can walk with crutches, but is very tiring for me, so I do it just as an exercise.
Ahh, I never knew crutches would be an option for that affliction (if only on occasion). So that means you have the ability to stand upright, at least partially?

Also curious: if you use crutches for exercise, isn't regular wheelchair use also pretty good exercise? Or do you normally use a power chair? I used to attend a community college built on a hill, where the ramps were so severe that almost every wheelchair-user there resorted to a power chair. I always expected that if I saw someone using a manual wheelchair on campus, they'd have big beefy arms from all that crazy exercise. ;)
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
Luisiroth

Post by Luisiroth »

Radien wrote:
Luisiroth wrote:I have paraplegia and I'm in a wheelchair most of the time. I can walk with crutches, but is very tiring for me, so I do it just as an exercise.
Ahh, I never knew crutches would be an option for that affliction (if only on occasion). So that means you have the ability to stand upright, at least partially?

Also curious: if you use crutches for exercise, isn't regular wheelchair use also pretty good exercise? Or do you normally use a power chair? I used to attend a community college built on a hill, where the ramps were so severe that almost every wheelchair-user there resorted to a power chair. I always expected that if I saw someone using a manual wheelchair on campus, they'd have big beefy arms from all that crazy exercise. ;)
Yep, is'nt uncommon for people with paraplegia to walk that way. I can do it, and I'm not a superhero or something like that, so... :lol:
With the wheelchair (human-powered, not a power chair, I hate them) I only exercise the upper body, specially the arms, and with crutches I exercise the whole body. Also, standing is very healthy, even without walking. So, since I can do that, it's best to do so. And yeah, I'm beefy armed!
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

If this poll is anywhere near true we have a really high "Crippled" rate :D
Not that its bad or good in any way, just interesting.
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

As hard as it may be to admit..
But I have profound Industrial deafness in both ears.
Too many loud rock concerts and a life time of working in high noise environments.

Unless I'm looking directly at some one I often can not understand a word they say. Though, out of stubborn pride if no other reason, I carry on as if nothing is wrong.
For Queen and Country
newnar

Post by newnar »

I still don't understand what this thread is actually asking for.

Do we:

1. Post our EXISTING physical disabilities(Choose the most severe physical disability that APPLIES to you)

or

2. Post the worst/most befitting physical disability we think we should have(which is the thread title but a weird question anyway, how would you know what disability you would have? On top of that, how can a physical disability be befitting? Oh, I wear glasses so I should be blind???)
Azereil

Post by Azereil »

So, I'm not sure how we would count this. It's a brain disability, but it's a physical problem.

I have massively low levels of certain chemicals in my brain that lead to some incredibly severe problems if I miss my medications. If I don't get my meds for 20 hours or so I get shut down with panic attacks and thoughts of killing myself. It's so bad I have to pull over and cry in the back seat while I have someone rush me my meds. I've tried to kill myself once already, slit my radial artery, and if a friend hadn't called me while I was in shock from bloodloss they likely wouldn't have been able to bring me back to life in time. That's what got people to actually test me for this stuff. Luckily, 13 pills a day for the rest of my life isn't so bad... :roll:

I'm a writer by trade and just going through Rin's arc actually had me thinking she was going to try and kill herself as an escape. I was actually worried I would get that ending somehow. The arts are unforgiving and brutal. Luckily, preknowledge of the area and the type of person Rin is let me get the good ending on my first try. It was incredibly cathartic.
Radien

Post by Radien »

Luisiroth wrote:Yep, is'nt uncommon for people with paraplegia to walk that way. I can do it, and I'm not a superhero or something like that, so... :lol:
With the wheelchair (human-powered, not a power chair, I hate them) I only exercise the upper body, specially the arms, and with crutches I exercise the whole body. Also, standing is very healthy, even without walking. So, since I can do that, it's best to do so. And yeah, I'm beefy armed!
Haha, it'll be the fastest arm-wrestling match EVER, won't it? :lol:

I remember when I was in phys rehab, still in a wheelchair. One of my fellow rehab patients was talking about how the nurses had apparently allowed a "wheelchair race" in the halls at one point. I had difficulty believing this, until I found out it was more of an obstacle course. In any case, we joked often about wheelchair drag racing.

Anyway, glad to hear that you sound like you're in otherwise good shape. :)
Azereil wrote:So, I'm not sure how we would count this. It's a brain disability, but it's a physical problem.
I totally sympathize. Your problem is very different from mine, but the above sentence still describes mine perfectly. Mine is a brain injury/disability, but the ways in which it affects me are mostly physical: balance, navigation, equilibrium, coordination, endurance...

Yours sounds like a pretty complicated one, though. I have to admit I haven't heard of that exact problem before. :/

On the subject, of pills, though:

While I understand why Hisao was initially put off by the idea of taking so many pills everyday, I certainly hope he got over it. Practically everyone in society takes SOME prescription medication everyday, and if they don't, they probably will later in life. 13 is a lot, yes, but the possible side effects are much more important than the very reliance on pills.

I do admit that taking a different set of pills every morning, noon, and night eventually became a chore. Fortunately, after I was out of the hospital for awhile, I was eventually moved to a set of medications that only need to be taken once a day before bed. That's a heckuva lot easier, since they're right next to my toothbrush when I brush my teeth for the night.

Luisiroth

Post by Luisiroth »

Radien wrote:Haha, it'll be the fastest arm-wrestling match EVER, won't it? :lol:

I remember when I was in phys rehab, still in a wheelchair. One of my fellow rehab patients was talking about how the nurses had apparently allowed a "wheelchair race" in the halls at one point. I had difficulty believing this, until I found out it was more of an obstacle course. In any case, we joked often about wheelchair drag racing.

Anyway, glad to hear that you sound like you're in otherwise good shape. :)
Yeah, luckily I´m very healthy. I don't do arm-wrestling very often, but when I do, usually there are casualties XD
And wheelchair racing is dangerous, believe me, VERY dangerous! Both racers and spectators could end "I believe I can fly..." style :lol:
But not as dangerous as Murderball thou!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGXacp0P3U
Radien

Post by Radien »

Luisiroth wrote:Yeah, luckily I´m very healthy. I don't do arm-wrestling very often, but when I do, usually there are casualties XD
And wheelchair racing is dangerous, believe me, VERY dangerous! Both racers and spectators could end "I believe I can fly..." style :lol:
But not as dangerous as Murderball thou!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGXacp0P3U
*Watches video and winces visibly* OWOWOWOWOWW.... Murderball indeed. :( :( Rugby plus wheelchairs..... sounds like a good subject for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea"...

In any case, we were only ever really joking. You know how it is: humor helps to diffuse overly serious situations. And I make a lot of use of that fact. My family said they knew when I was starting to get better, because I starting making jokes again. (Mind you, not all of them were very good...)

So I take it "Murderball" is the nickname for wheelchair rugby?... I'm guessing it's entirely because of how ridiculously dangerous it is, if that video is any clue.....

Luisiroth

Post by Luisiroth »

Naaaaaaaaah, there are usually no casualties on wheelchair rugby, only a little flying from time to time!!! BTW, I don´t practice that, there are no leagues/clubs here, so... But I use to have fun with a 45 degree street. "Fastest thing on wheels" mode XD
Radien

Post by Radien »

Luisiroth wrote:Naaaaaaaaah, there are usually no casualties on wheelchair rugby, only a little flying from time to time!!! BTW, I don´t practice that, there are no leagues/clubs here, so... But I use to have fun with a 45 degree street. "Fastest thing on wheels" mode XD
I kinda assumed you didn't play wheelchair rugby. Not because it's you in particular, though... I just wouldn't assume anybody is into something that crazy unless they expressly said so. ;) I dunno, maybe I'm just not very daring. I most certainly couldn't play rugby now, though. A concussion would be at least as dangerous to me as it would be for Hisao, if not more.

Wheelchairin' down a street at a 45-degree angle?... That sounds more than a little frightening... What kind'a brakes ya got on that rig? ;) (Perhaps we should fix you up with a drag racing 'chute.)

Luisiroth

Post by Luisiroth »

Hahahahaha!! No parachute, but I like the idea XD
The street gradually loses inclination, so cycling gloves and a good skid are enough.
Radien

Post by Radien »

Luisiroth wrote:Hahahahaha!! No parachute, but I like the idea XD
The street gradually loses inclination, so cycling gloves and a good skid are enough.
o_o Eem skeered. I guess I'm not cut out for street racing, either.
...Hmmmm... I suppose theoretically it'd be possible to drift in a wheelchair, if you did something to keep it from toppling....

Also, something tells me Emi would enjoy taking part in such a race, with or without wheels.

Luisiroth

Post by Luisiroth »

Radien wrote:o_o Eem skeered. I guess I'm not cut out for street racing, either.
...Hmmmm... I suppose theoretically it'd be possible to drift in a wheelchair, if you did something to keep it from toppling....

Also, something tells me Emi would enjoy taking part in such a race, with or without wheels.
The speed is not THAT high, so toppling is not really a problem when drifting. Sometimes I ended on two wheels for a second or two (one time on the front little wheels, it was scary!), but never toppled. Racing like that with someone like Emi would be funny, but also dangerous as a cataclysm XD
wabatenna

Post by wabatenna »

deaf in one ear.

Not having directional hearing sucks, b/c when someone calls out to you, and you think they're on the right so you turn right, and it looks like you're ignoring them when they're actually on the left...

but I can pretty much shut out noise by turning on my side on bed, and I don't have to plug my other ear when talking on the phone. so I guess it's actually kinda convenient?