Bed Ridden

WORDS WORDS WORDS

LeoneLocke

Bed Ridden

Post by LeoneLocke »

My first attempt at a fan fic. I hope you enjoy.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The rhythmic sound of a pencil lightly scribbling notes upon a sheet of paper stirs me from my
reprieve. My head feels like it had just gone through a washing machine and the rest of my body is extremely sore, especially my chest. It doesn't take me long to figure out I had another attack, though what sparked it is a mystery to me, and one I most likely don't want to remember even if I could.

"It happened again" I think to myself, disappointed.
"Again.... Three times in one week."

My name is Hisao Nakai. I am a typical high school student going to a normal high school. Least, that's what I want to believe. The cold hard truth is that several months ago, I was diagnosed with arrhythmia after suffering a heart attack when a girl decided to confess to me. Now I attend Yamaku High, a school for "challenged" people... a school for cripples.

I was supposed to get better, but my first week here...

"3 fucking times!" I yell at myself again. My frustration must have finally manifested itself on my face, because I hear the pencil stop writing and a chair being pulled out. I hear someone walk over to my bedside.

"Hisao?" I hear the head nurse say as I feel his warm touch on my arm.

I open my eyes slowly, allowing them to adjust to the sudden burst of light in the nurse's office. It takes a few seconds longer than I thought it would. I focus in on the friendly but concerned face of the head nurse above me.

"This feels....worse than usual." I hear myself say in an extremely weak voice.
The nurse smiled and sat next to my bed.

"Well, you pushed yourself farther than usual this time, Hisao." He said, giving me the serious face again." You have to be more careful. I can't stress how serious this is."

I furrowed my brow in thought. The last thing I could remember was the school carnival. Did something happen after?

"What...." I finally managed to say. I didn't want to hear it, but I decided It was for my own good. "What happened exactly?"

The nurse looked at me concerned for a moment, then his expression relaxed into his usual smile.

"Looks like you don't remember. Concussions will do that to you." He said, as he began adjusting some bandages on my arm.

"Bandages? Concussion?" I thought as I looked down at my body for the first time since I woke up. I was covered almost from head to toe in gauze bandages, some with light red stains on them.

"So, Hisao." The nurse said again, in a more business like voice than usual. "I'm not going to ask what you were doing on the roof that night, mainly because you probably can't remember....but I want you to know that if you don't start treating this more seriously, I will have to have you leave Yamaku and be home schooled. Something neither of us wants." He put a finger to my lips as I was about to protest.

"You came in here, two nights ago, after falling off the roof. You're hall-mate Kenji brought you here himself, somehow..." He paused for a moment, as if he just realized something, then shook his head lightly and continued.

"You were in a bad way, Hisao. You smelled rank of alcohol and your body was extremely bruised and battered." I felt my face go pale. It just didn't sound like something I would do...but I knew it was true. The head nurse wouldn't lie to me, and the fact that I was nearly mummified backed everything up. I felt myself close my fist in anger. It hurt.

"In any case....you'll make a full recovery. Nothing was broken, and your heart hasn't exploded. Just be more careful... and don't forget what I said. If I think for any reason you'll be safer being home schooled or back in a hospital, I WILL transfer you Hisao." He said surprisingly stern.

As he got up to walk back to his desk across the room, he looked back at me, his face once again adopting its default non-chalant smile. "By the way, I'm surprised you made so many friends in one week. You're a popular guy, eh?" He said, pointing to the opposite side of the bed.

I glanced over slowly - It hurt to turn my neck - But a smile crept over my face when I did. On the small table next to my bed were 4 neatly placed gifts. It didn't take me long to figure out from whom each of them were.

A small ornate tea and saucer set from Lily and Hanako, with two distinct tea bags hanging over the side. I couldn't pretend to know what kind of tea was in them, but I was sure it was good. The card that stood open next to it read "We'll be by to make it for you later on! Get better!" The hand writing was Hanako's, but the cheerful way it was written had to have been Lily's doing.

Misha and Shizune left me a thick paperback that I could barely read the title of, because it was laying flat, but when I did I smirked. The book was called "Risk: The Ultimate Strategy Guide" and was clearly Shizune's idea. The card, which had also been left standing and open, right next to Lilly's -Which was no coincidence, im sure- read "You're making it too easy to beat you, Hisao.Try harder." I couldn't help but laugh, as painful as it was.

Rin and Emi left a bento box, stuffed with my favorites from my lunches with them, all lovingly made by Emi herself. I was thankful, because as soon as I saw it , I realized how hungry I was. There was a note taped onto it that I recognized as Rin's almost instantly. "You don't have any tubes or anything coming out of you, So I think you're going to be okay. Get up soon." I'm not sure If I'll ever get used to her mannerisms.

Last but not....well, It probably was least, after all, Was Kenji's gift. A black journal leaned , almost falling off the side of the table. As I opened it, a small not fell out and landed on my chest. As I picked it up I realized the whole journal was blank. The note explained. "What's up with all the girls visiting you, man? You're getting too deep! Take it easy, or they'll eat you alive! Anyway, record any findings or observations you make in the journal I left you and I'll come pick it up every night. Oh, and sorry about the whole 'falling off the roof thing'. I didn't know you were such a light-weight. Fight on!" I sighed. Kenji really was kind of hopeless sometimes.

I looked back at the table and smiled again, tears welling up in my eyes. It looks like I didn't really "lose" my first week here after all.

No, I was just getting started at Yamaku High, and I wasn't going to lose to one really bad week.

And I wasn't going to lose to some heart condition either.
EternalLurker

Re: Bed Ridden

Post by EternalLurker »

Kenji End is Good End. This fic speaks truth. Lots of simple mistakes a basic proofreading could fix, though.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Haha...I gotta say, this was short and sweet, not perfect but hell I liked it. :D
Good job.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Not bad. I like how you provided for each girl's fanbase.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
callmeemo

Post by callmeemo »

Well, that helps to put any bad tidings towards Kenji at ease (at least about manly picnics, anyways). Good epilogue, you wrapped it up nicely.
"From far away, it looks like someone vomited a herd of butterflies on the wall."
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

LeoneLocke wrote:Last but not....well, It probably was least, after all, Was Kenji's gift. A black journal leaned , almost falling off the side of the table. As I opened it, a small not fell out and landed on my chest.
Within a week, ten people at Yamaku were dead.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Nice

Believe it or not, but i also had a 'after the bad end' idea too. But i hit a dead end (no pun intended) and never got around to finish it, but now that i've seen your take on this. I just may.
techk8

Post by techk8 »

The ending is giving me Gurren-Lagann Kamina vibes. IF YOU CAN'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, BELIEVE IN ME, WHO BELIEVES IN YOU.
techk8 wrote:In all honestly, I don't care if it's an OVA or a whole series; it needs to end with the Lilly Good End, damnit! IT'S FUCKING CANON AND I'LL TAKE THAT TRUTH TO THE GRAVE.
[10:59] <@cpl_crud> Penises aren't spoilers; they are just disappointing in general