Your response to this?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Validus Razgriz

Re: Your response to this?

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Hypothermia wrote:We must make haste before the inevitable thread lock!

Do people really pronounce Hypothermia like Hypuhthermyah? Eh, dialects. I guess the English pronounce it Hoipahthermyah and then they have their different dialects and whatever.
I don't. I pronounce hypothermia the same way Caesius put it: [hahy-puh-thur-mee-uh]

Edit: Seriously, this discussion is as dumb as arguing over whether "color" vs. "colour" or "analog" vs. "analogue" is the proper way to spell the word. Both are technically correct (even though my spell check in Firefox tells me that color and analog are both wrong, lol. I'm probably set on a UK dictionary)
Last edited by Validus Razgriz on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
abscess

Post by abscess »

O lawdy... where is the original topic now?
Check this and this. Relevant to the current state of affairs of the eroge industry. With luck those links haven't been mentioned here yet and could also save the thread from the padlock power-up.
Siiiiigh....
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

On /a/ they say a major company is eliminating all that sheeeeee-it. Not online though. They're also going to protest or something, so we'll see what actually happens.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Validus Razgriz wrote:Well, I pronounce nuclear with only two sylables.
If you pronounce it as "new clear" (which I don't think you do), then yes, that would be two syllables - and would also be wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuclear

You might not hear the difference, but it's there.

And, if you actually think that there is a real authority, M-W says that your way of pronouncing Hypothermia is wrong
It says right on the page that it's pronounced "\-ˈthər-mē-ə\" ("hypo" is a prefix and thus is pronunciation is implied). 3+2 = 5.

And in case you're wondering, I got that plain text pronunciation from Dictionary.com, which gives an IPA equivalent of "/ˌhaɪ pə ˈθɜr mi ə/".

And that's the end of this language discussion. I didn't start it, but I ended it. So let's move on, k?

Enough with the "in b4 lock" crap too. Meta-posting is annoying and only accelerates locks.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Caesius wrote:If you pronounce it as "new clear" (which I don't think you do), then yes, that would be two syllables - and would also be wrong.
Last post for me. Yes, I pronounce the "-clear" part of "nuclear" exactly how I pronounce the word "clear."
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."