Concerning their disabilities...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SirMax

Re: Concerning their disabilities...

Post by SirMax »

DuaneMoody wrote:
delta wrote:But then K-On came out and changed that.
DON'T SAY CRIPPLE
YOU WON'T SEE ANY NIPPLE
wise advice for Hisao...
Hisao wrote:Cripple wonderland
Hisao wrote:Lily the blind girl?
kyuven

Post by kyuven »

SirMax wrote:
DuaneMoody wrote:
delta wrote:But then K-On came out and changed that.
DON'T SAY CRIPPLE
YOU WON'T SEE ANY NIPPLE
wise advice for Hisao...
Hisao wrote:Cripple wonderland
Hisao wrote:Lily the blind girl?
Well...to be perfectly fair to Hisao...
going from a school where someone in a wheelchair wouldn't be able to attend classes on the second floor to a school where one of the best track stars has no legs and the student council president can't hear a word anyone says would be a little jarring. Okay, the game goes to lengths to describe how incredibly different it is...
It's very difficult to NOT identify people by their most obvious traits. The show Scrubs has made fun of this with Leonard the hook handed janitor and his MASSIVE AFRO.
If she wasn't blind, he's probably identify her as "Lily the blonde girl" or "Lily the foreigner".
On the scale of pointing out disabilities though, blindness and deafness are a little less taboo to point out than missing limbs or scars. Since it's "easy" to not judge someone based on not having arms or legs, and treat them as normal, but with blind or deaf people you really do have to go out of your way when communicating with them, and while drawing attention to ANY disability can be bad, I've known some people with disabilities who would rather people not be shy around them, and conversely not coddle them either. They're the same as you, but (some) would also like it if you acknowledged they were different than you as well. The key around people like this (actually, ANYONE really) is the balance between acknowledging their flaws and not drawing attention to them. Some deaf or blind people are perfectly comfortable with their condition in the same way you're comfortable with your hair color. I use this example because, of course, some people aren't comfortable with their hair color, or are even very sensitive about it.
Again, it's all about balance...
And I COMPLETELY went off topic...
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

kyuven wrote: Well...to be perfectly fair to Hisao...
going from a school where someone in a wheelchair wouldn't be able to attend classes on the second floor to a school where one of the best track stars has no legs and the student council president can't hear a word anyone says would be a little jarring. Okay, the game goes to lengths to describe how incredibly different it is...
It's very difficult to NOT identify people by their most obvious traits. The show Scrubs has made fun of this with Leonard the hook handed janitor and his MASSIVE AFRO.
If she wasn't blind, he's probably identify her as "Lily the blonde girl" or "Lily the foreigner".
On the scale of pointing out disabilities though, blindness and deafness are a little less taboo to point out than missing limbs or scars. Since it's "easy" to not judge someone based on not having arms or legs, and treat them as normal, but with blind or deaf people you really do have to go out of your way when communicating with them, and while drawing attention to ANY disability can be bad, I've known some people with disabilities who would rather people not be shy around them, and conversely not coddle them either. They're the same as you, but (some) would also like it if you acknowledged they were different than you as well. The key around people like this (actually, ANYONE really) is the balance between acknowledging their flaws and not drawing attention to them. Some deaf or blind people are perfectly comfortable with their condition in the same way you're comfortable with your hair color. I use this example because, of course, some people aren't comfortable with their hair color, or are even very sensitive about it.
Again, it's all about balance...
And I COMPLETELY went off topic...
It was less that he acknowledged her disability and more that by identifying her with it he was basically defining her by it, which is a terrible, terrible thing to do.
Cody8977897

Post by Cody8977897 »

This is only me guessing but, about Hanako being at Yamako. Either she is afraid to go to a normal school because of the burns. Another is that her scars are more serious then people think. Finally, my last guess would be that she did but was picked on at the school and it got so severe the she had to go some where she wouldn't get bullied. That would also explain her extreme phobia of other people. That is all my guessing goes...
I can see the future but know not what is to come...
I know who I am, yet not who I will be...