Question Concerning KS Organization

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Waterfig

Question Concerning KS Organization

Post by Waterfig »

This may seem a bit out there, but I was wondering if you guys would enlighten me as to how you went about setting up the routes in Katawa Shoujo. Not so much in the area of what decisions to give the reader when, but more along the lines of how you plotted out all the different paths based off of the choices provided. I suppose what I'm really trying to get at, is did one of you set up a gigantic whiteboard or spread of papers tacked to a wall, and proceed to go through every branching path right from the beginning(i.e. starting out with a set of choices, then branching off from each choice and filling in their respective dialogue, and any additional choices that may stem from them, if any)? Is that the best way to do it? The only way?

Forgive me if the question is a bit unclear; I'm not quite sure how to phrase it differently.
Layzuhl

Re: Question Concerning KS Organization

Post by Layzuhl »

Reading some of the blog could answer some of your questions. But I know saying that is unhelpful, because the blog is big. Check it out later.

But I got the impression they had to sync the demo because all the routes were entwined so heavily, but after Act One it was each writer on their own.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Waterfig wrote: I suppose what I'm really trying to get at, is did one of you set up a gigantic whiteboard or spread of papers tacked to a wall, and proceed to go through every branching path right from the beginning(i.e. starting out with a set of choices, then branching off from each choice and filling in their respective dialogue, and any additional choices that may stem from them, if any)?
Something like it, except I did it almost completely in my head, and all the writers took part in the actual writing. 22 specifically wrote probably at least as much raw text as I did for Act 1. Basically, the general outline of the script was plotted beforehand, then everyone wrote it and finally I edited and formed it into a whole, adding all the branching, conditional text, choices and so on. It's neither the best nor the only way, but it's what we did.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Waterfig

Post by Waterfig »

I see, thank you for clearing that up for me. This is quite an enormous task, and it doesn't look like I'll find any easier way than what you guys did (it's essentially how I was planning on doing it). I appreciate your hard work in creating and releasing this novel; thanks for allowing me to enjoy such a quality product.

Best of luck to you guys in finishing the novel and whatever you decide to do in the future~