Hisao's name is ironic?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Teclo

Re: Hisao's name is ironic?

Post by Teclo »

Well English really is a bit of everything. It has bits of Indo-European, bits of Germanic, bits of French and bits of - no surprises here - Anglo-Saxon, even though that last one is being seriously challenged now. The grammatical system is so fluid that pretty much anything can be added in to the language. It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Teclo wrote:Well English really is a bit of everything. It has bits of Indo-European, bits of Germanic, bits of French and bits of - no surprises here - Anglo-Saxon, even though that last one is being seriously challenged now. The grammatical system is so fluid that pretty much anything can be added in to the language. It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.
Pretty much. There are a lot of words and phrases that have been tacked onto the language from god knows how many different languages, but the base structural integrity of the language is still very Germanic, though. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, but I know enough to see that if there's any language that English is most similar to, it's German.

Either way, English is going to continue being affected by other languages, especially because it's starting to become a lingua franca for the entire world now. For good or bad, we have the British Empire to thank for that.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

For some reason, I feel like delta's gonna come in and lock this topic any moment now...
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
Validus Razgriz

I will seriously lol if he does that. Then again, he did lock that thread with the arguing between American English and British English. I've already had thoughts in my head comparing him to W.T.Snacks, lol
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Validus Razgriz wrote:I've already had thoughts in my head comparing him to W.T.Snacks, lol
No, I believe people liked Snacks.
Validus Razgriz

DuaneMoody wrote:
Validus Razgriz wrote:I've already had thoughts in my head comparing him to W.T.Snacks, lol
I wouldn't know. I didn't find out about 4chan until after he was gone. Everything I know is just "B&hammer" and "Around Snacks, Never Relax".
lurk moar

Post by lurk moar »

Misha is the diminutive form of Mikhail (Michael). I know two Mishas and they are both male. However, Misha (in the game) is a nickname, and is probably reasonable.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Teclo wrote:.... It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.
Except for a political candidates campaign speach. :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Linear B

Post by Linear B »

Teclo wrote:Well English really is a bit of everything. It has bits of Indo-European, bits of Germanic, bits of French and bits of - no surprises here - Anglo-Saxon, even though that last one is being seriously challenged now. The grammatical system is so fluid that pretty much anything can be added in to the language. It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.
English is firmly a Germanic language: compare German gut-->besser-->best to English good-->better-->best; if you have a set of irregular superlatives that are similar in two languages in the same language family (Indo-European in this case), it's pretty much guaranteed that they have a close common ancestor (Proto-Germanic, in this case). English has a lot of loan words, though, which is why people mistake it for a cobbling together of other languages.

As for the grammar, English doesn't have a lot of inflection (stuff like declensions, gender, plurals, tense, ...) and has very regular systems for plurals and tense, so you can hack together a bunch of words and as long as they're in close to the right order you should be understood. With Greek, for example, messing up your declensions can confuse the hearer as to who the subject or object of a verb is.
Bara wrote:
Teclo wrote:.... It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.
Except for a political candidates campaign speach. :wink:
I think that's more because their ideas don't make sense in the first place. :mrgreen:
I have come to the conclusion that the Knossos and Pylos tablets must, after all, be written in Greek - a difficult and archaic Greek, seeing that it is 500 years earlier than Homer and written in an abbreviated form, but Greek nevertheless.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Linear B wrote:As for the grammar, English doesn't have a lot of inflection (stuff like declensions, gender, plurals, tense, ...) and has very regular systems for plurals and tense, so you can hack together a bunch of words and as long as they're in close to the right order you should be understood.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
KnightofNEE

Post by KnightofNEE »

Teclo wrote:The grammatical system is so fluid that pretty much anything can be added in to the language. It's hard for something to make literally no sense whatsoever in English.
Woah woah woah. Semantic sense or syntactic sense? Because either way that's not true. For semantic sense Chomsky would like to have a word with you: Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. As for syntactic sense, you can't just string words together and get English.
Last edited by KnightofNEE on Mon May 18, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

DuaneMoody wrote:
hay guise what's going on in this thread?
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

delta wrote:
DuaneMoody wrote:
hay guise what's going on in this thread?
Question: Are you allowed to lock any thread you want, regardless of content? You can do it just because you feel like it?
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

lol, are you serious? Posting on these forums is a privilege, not a right.
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

delta wrote:lol, are you serious? Posting on these forums is a privilege, not a right.

Well, this topic has gotten far off it's original purpose, and I don't really care for it anymore...so you may do what you like.