No sound under Linux

No sound under Linux

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I downloaded the Linux version of Katawa Shoujo. There's no sound when I start the game, and there's no sound when I go to options and click test.

Do you have any idea what's going on?
Lattyware

Re: No sound under Linux

Post by Lattyware »

Try closing all other apps that put out audio, especially wine apps. Sometimes you can get other apps blocking the audio.

Post by Guest »

Yay! Its working now.
Thanks Lattyware.
Lattyware

Post by Lattyware »

Guest wrote:Yay! Its working now.
Thanks Lattyware.
No problem, glad I could help. Been running Linux for long enough to know all the kinks you occasionally get. Fortunately, a lot less than one finds under windows...

Post by Guest »

I also have this issue, but nothing but Katawa Shõjo, pidgin and deluge is running. Ubuntu 64-bit.
mareviq

Post by mareviq »

Guest wrote:I also have this issue, but nothing but Katawa Shõjo, pidgin and deluge is running. Ubuntu 64-bit.
Right, there are several potential problems here.
1) Your soundcard can only handle one app at a time and is most likely taken by Pulseaudio server (standard sound system on Ubuntu 8.04 and newer and KS doesn't use it)
2) You don't have x86 sound emulation (Katawa Shoujo is 32-bit)
abs(imag(ME) / abs(ME)) = exp(PI) - PI - 19;
Lattyware

Post by Lattyware »

mareviq wrote:
Guest wrote:I also have this issue, but nothing but Katawa Shõjo, pidgin and deluge is running. Ubuntu 64-bit.
Right, there are several potential problems here.
1) Your soundcard can only handle one app at a time and is most likely taken by Pulseaudio server (standard sound system on Ubuntu 8.04 and newer and KS doesn't use it)
2) You don't have x86 sound emulation (Katawa Shoujo is 32-bit)
As someone running Arch64, using pulseaudio, and with working sound I'd try closing pidgin too - I've had it block audio before. If nothing else works, trying doing killall pulseaudio and seeing if it works afterwards. Pulseaudio will restart with the next app you run that needs it.

Post by Guest »

Lattyware wrote: As someone running Arch64, using pulseaudio, and with working sound I'd try closing pidgin too - I've had it block audio before. If nothing else works, trying doing killall pulseaudio and seeing if it works afterwards. Pulseaudio will restart with the next app you run that needs it.
It now works under Ubuntu 32bit with audio. Thank you for the tip!