Secret Santa 2023 - Story collection

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Secret Santa 2023 - Story collection

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Seasonal Greatings everyone!

It's time for the annual Secret Santa!
The prompts have been sent out; so I'm opening the collection thread now.

As always using this thread to post your story is encouraged but not mandatory. If you decide to post it elsewhere I will just put up the link the the story in here.

Also, if you don't post them here, putting them in your own short story collection thread is preferred to creating a completely new one.

For those interested the previous years' story collection threads can be found here:
Secret Santa 2022 - Story collection
Secret Santa 2021 - Story collection
Secret Santa 2020 - Story collection
Secret Santa 2019 - Story collection
Secret Santa 2018 - Story collection
Secret Santa 2017 - Story collection

Happy Holidays!

Index
From ToothedYew006 for Craftyatom - Too Much Dough Ho Ho
From Craftyatom for hdkv - Happy With Yourself
From hdkv for Razoredge - Three-Way Play
From Razoredge for ToothedYew006 - Good things come to those who wait

From Ivan for sgtpepper - Untitled
From sgtpepper for Mirage_GSM - Hours, Minutes, Seconds
From Mirage_GSM for Ivanovich - Naughty or Nice

From guthrum06 for grayest - Oil & Vinegar
From grayest for Feurox - Untitled
From Feurox for StealthyWolf - Shutter Steps

From Sharp-O for Lap - Tender & Wild

From Hacksorus for brythain - Untitled

From XXX for YYY - ZZZ

Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:58 am, edited 16 times in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
guthrum06

Oil & Vinegar

Post by guthrum06 »

Here's my Secret Santa Submission!

Title: Oil & Vinegar
For: Grayest
Prompt: "Buddy story with Mutou and the Nurse"

Today was the last day of classes before winter vacation. I just finished grading assignments in the teachers’ room and now I’m walking to my car in the faculty parking lot. I’m looking forward to getting home and relaxing. I finished grading before I left so I could really enjoy the vacation.

The homeroom students I was with for the last three years graduated last Spring. So, I'm back doing homeroom for first years who I will be with until they graduate. As usual, there are a wide range of students.

At one end of the spectrum, there's a real go-getter who has already asserted herself as the class rep. She's very active in trying to motivate the class to do their best and follow the rules. She isn’t what I would call popular, but she’s certainly respected by her classmates.

At the other end, there's an incredibly anxious student who has yet to speak to anyone in class. She has a difficult time even maintaining eye contact with me or her fellow students. She had a panic attack on the first day of class and has had a few more since. We’ve had to allow her some latitude about when she does and doesn’t come to class. I can tell that she is doing the best she can. I admire her for that.

Teaching at Yamaku certainly presents its challenges, but I think that makes the work all the more fulfilling. I get to help these young people grow and progress academically and socially over the next three years. It’s going to be a real treat to see it happen.

Just when I’m about to get in my car and out of the cold, I notice someone is sitting in the driver's seat of the car parked next to mine. It’s the new head nurse.

I am not his biggest fan.

Our personalities clash, to put it mildly.

The few times I’ve interacted with him he has really annoyed me. He’s always joking around and talking nonstop. I understand trying to add levity to some situations but he seems to think every situation needs it.

Meanwhile, I’ve been told on numerous occasions that I’m overly serious.

On top of it all, he’s significantly younger than I am, which I think exacerbates our differences.

My biggest problem with him: It doesn't always seem like he takes his job seriously.

It has made me wonder a little about our hiring process. Can he really have been the best choice?

In short, he is someone I really don’t want to go out of my way to talk to.

But he doesn't look good. He’s just sitting and staring into space with a furrowed brow and a frown on his face. And he hasn't even noticed my presence.

He is the type of person who is perpetually in high spirits. He is usually wearing a goofy smile. So how he looks right now is truly alarming.

I really want to go home. I really don’t want to talk to him.

But…he's a new employee and my junior. I wouldn't be a very good senior to him if I didn't try to see if he needs some help. I shouldn’t let the fact that he irritates me get in the way of doing my duty.

I brace myself for the worst, walk over to his car and knock on his window. It causes him to jump. Then he looks up at me and his usual smile appears. But it doesn’t seem quite as sincere as usual. He rolls down the window.

“Evening Mutou, something I can do for you?”

“Not really. I just wanted to chat.”

Then he says the kind of thing that makes me regret trying to help.

“Listen, I’m flattered, really. But I don't swing that way. At least, I don't think I do.” He winks at me.

He speaks like this to his senior colleagues. Who KNOWS what he says to students?

I sigh and ignore his joke, “Look, I’m just going to cut the chase here. I saw you a moment ago. You looked upset. I wanted to see if you'd like to talk.”

His smile fades and he tightly grips his steering wheel with both hands. His knuckles go white as he’s silent for several seconds. Then his smile returns and he looks up at me.

“I live in the town at the bottom of the hill. Do you want to come have a drink?” He laughs at himself like he said something hysterical, causing me to sigh in frustration. “I think I just mean to talk. But hey, I won't rule out anything. Let's see where the night takes us.”

I sigh again, “Sure, I’ll come over for a drink.”

I’ve just entered the nurse’s apartment. It feels more like a high school dorm room than the dwelling of a grown man. There are anime and professional wrestling posters on the walls and a tall bookshelf filled with manga. Luckily it is much cleaner than your typical high school dorm room. In fact, it’s cleaner than my place.

He walks towards me with a beer bottle in each hand and extends one to me. “All I have is beer, that work for you?”

“Definitely. It happens to be my drink of choice.”

I look at the bottle and see that it is a Kirin lager and smile before taking a drink, “This…actually happens to be my favorite beer. I have it in my fridge at home.”

He smirks, “You have good taste, then.”

We sit down around his kotatsu. I’m thankful he has one. It's cold enough outside that the chill has made its way inside.

“So…you married?”

Apparently we're starting with small talk. I suppose it’s difficult to jump right into whatever’s bothering him.

I shake my head. “No children either.”

“What are you doing for the holidays?”

“Spending it with my sister and her family. You?”

“I'll be going back home the day after tomorrow. Sapporo. How long have you been at Yamaku?”

“I suppose it’s been…12 years now. Look I…do need to be getting home before it gets too late. I have the drive to Sendai ahead of me. So...if you want to talk about what’s bothering you…”

He nods, sighs, and then is silent for several seconds. “How do you do it?”

“Do what?”

“The job.”

“You’re…going to have to be more specific.”

“Alright. How do you let yourself get to know these kids? Some of them have been dealt awful hands in life. And I just…feel it weighing on me. Even when I’m at home. Even when I’m trying to sleep. Even when I’m trying to enjoy something I love. I…just can’t escape it.”

I frown, “Ah, I see.”

“I’m a nurse. I’ve seen some shit. Dealt with plenty of hard cases before ever coming here. I’ve lost patients who were under my care. And that's always hard. But…this is different.”

“Different how?”

“Well…with a few exceptions, I haven’t gotten especially close with my patients. I treat them and just have a few silly conversations here and there. Now…I have patients I see all the time. Some I see every day. I like these kids. I like talking to them. Learning about them. Helping them.”

“I don’t understand. That's good, isn’t it? I like getting to know the students too.”

He sighs and leans forward, holding his hands over his face. He takes a deep breath and sits back up.

“It’s…mostly good. And most of them have manageable conditions. It's tough, but they will be able to live full lives. Helping them do that and understand all the possibilities that are open to them is great. But…that's not all of them…” He trails off and looks very grim.

It takes me a moment, and then I realize where he is going with this. ”Ah. You mean, the ones who…will have short lives.”

He nods and sighs. “Some that aren’t even guaranteed to make it to graduation. And I'm supposed to just sit there, chat with them, get to know them and come up with treatment plans for them that best allow them to manage their health and attend school?”

“Yes. You are.”

He scoffs at me and crosses his arms. He looks more than a little annoyed with me. “That’s easy for you to say. You don't have to deal with the medical side of things. Not really.”

“You're absolutely right. I don't envy your position. But we are here to give these students the best education we can. To give them the best school life we can. No matter what. You're as much a part of that as I am.”

He smiles, “Can I have that last part in writing? I’d like to show it to some of your fellow teachers when they get annoyed with me.”

I chuckle, “Sure. If it helps.”

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair, “You're right. Of course you are. You have the air of a guy who stays even keeled and is always right.”

I raise an eyebrow at him. “Is that a good thing?”

He smirks, “I don't know if it's good or bad, but…your level headedness is certainly helpful right now.”

I chuckle, “Okay then.”

He takes a drink of his beer and then opens his mouth, closes it, opens it, and closes it again. He has the same look on his face as he did in his car earlier. Clearly he wants to say something, but I'm not going to force him.

He takes another long drink, looks me in the eye and quietly says, “H-have you…ever lost a student?”

I frown and take a drink of my own and then say, “I…have. More than one.”

“Does it suck as much as I'm expecting?”

“Probably more. It's like you said…getting to know them, seeing them grow as people, it's great. But it also makes it hurt when they pass. Especially…” I feel myself starting to choke up so I clear my throat and take a drink of my beer. “...especially because they are so young.”

“How do you just…keep doing it?”

“Because it's worth it.”

He sighs, “I'm not so sure.”

“Getting to know them, seeing them grow…that's the reward. For any student. Whether they graduate…or not. You do your best to help them live their lives and in return…they enrich yours. That's what it's all about. Sometimes…sometimes helping the ones who have it the hardest can be the most rewarding, even if it hurts.”

He nods, “Well…you've been there. I will take your word for it.”

“You'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it some day. But…listening to you tonight, I know you really care about the students. So I think you'll come to the same conclusion.”

He nods, “I guess we'll see. Hey…thanks for talking to me about all this. You helped reel me in. And…the fact you've been through the worst and keep going…makes me feel like I can do it.”

He gets up and throws away his beer bottle before getting a new one from the fridge. When he sits down, he looks like he’s back to his normal self. Silly smile and all. While I'm glad he's feeling more like himself and I helped him get there, I also know that it probably means he's about to get very annoying.

“So, the night is young. I've got a fridge full of beer. Should we see how many it takes before things get interesting?” He punctuates his sentence with a suggestive wink.

I sigh, shake my head at him and stand up. “If you're feeling better about things, I think I'll be going. Thank you for the beer.”

He pouts at me, “Okay, if you have to.” He stands up and walks with me to the door and opens it for me. As I’m about to step out he says, “Do you think we could make this a regular thing?”

I really want to say no. He’s going to drive me up a wall. But...talking with him about this has helped me feel better about things too, I hate to admit. He’s also proven to me that he’s far more serious about his job than I had given him credit for. I certainly respect him more now. Still, I can't believe I'm about to say…

“Sure.”

He nods thankfully and then I step out of his apartment. Then he says, “Great! This was an amazing first date. I’m glad we’re going steady now. See you soon, babe. Merry Christmas. ” Then he gives me a wink and closes the door behind me.

What have I just gotten myself into?

My FanFics
Learning to Run (Complete) - Emi x Hisao in their 30s
Yamaku: the Next Generation (Complete) - Emi and Hisao's daughter goes to Yamaku.
Oil & Vinegar - Mutou and Nurse buddy one-shot

Grayest

S14 submission

Post by Grayest »

Victim: Feurox

Prompt: Hisao and his girlfriend (Any character of the cast or canon) celebrate their final Christmas (Or otherwise appropriate winter festival / holiday).

"Its cute, don't you think?" She asked.
"Yeah, I guess so." I respond looking at the mistletoe hanging from the frame of her dorm-room door.
Saki's always had an affection for cutesy things like this. But its our last Christmas here, so I can't help but oblige her.
"Are you sure you'd rather spend the holiday here? Rather than with Hanako or Rika?" I asked.
She finally turns away from admiring at the decorations now adorning her room.
"Oh, I mean, they're nice and all. But I've already made my choice." She replied.
"If you say s-"
She suddenly puts her arms around me, pulls me in, and kisses me... Under the mistletoe, of course. I should have known what she was planning.
I myself am compelled to wrap my arms around her smooch harder.
She finally lets go, our faces red as Santa's outfit.
"So uh..." She says blushing.
"Would you like some hot chocolate?"
"Sure, why the hell not?" I answer.
Using her cane for support, She moves over to the pot of hot water and hot chocolate bags on her desk, and starts preparing two cups.

It'd been awhile since I had seen her this cheerful.
Now that I think about it, this isn't just our last Christmas here, its Her last Christmas period.
Thinking about it lowers my spirits, which is jarring coming off the rush of love we just experienced.
The only thing I can do is try my best to make her feel happy in these final months, weeks, and days.

Neurodegenerative Ataxia. A strange word. A foreign, alien one. One no-one wants, nor should be in the same room with. Yet here we are. The doctors apparently said she has about 4 months to live.

Its been about a month since Saki confessed to me, to which I reciprocated. How could I not? In spite of her condition making her life harder, not to mention shorter, she never stopped striving to be happy, nor to make others happy.
In a twisted way, I think I needed something like this to be more appreciative of my life. Every experience I've had with her has been something I'll never forget. I want to cherish every moment, and make her happy.

She finishes making the tea, but clearly doesn't have the strength to bring both cups to our little table.
I quickly get up to assist Her.
"Here..."
I take both cups and set them on the table, before helping her sit in a more comfortable position.
She takes a second to catch her breath before sipping the warm beverage.
"How is it?" I ask.
"Yummier than its ever been."
"Glad to hear it."
We sit in silence for a few moments and enjoy each other's company.
She pipes up.
"You never told me what you wanted for Christmas, by the way."
I think for a minute, and end up shrugging.
"Never thought about it to be honest. I've kinda outgrown it."
"What about you, Saki?"
She looks down at her cup for a moment, smiling. Then finally replies.
"I think I already have it."
"Thank you, Hisao."
"No," I retort.
"Thank you."

What if the real 'Best girl' was the friends we made along the way?
Grayest

Re: Secret Santa 2023 - Story collection

Post by Grayest »

This was great! I really loved it. Thanks for the fic!

What if the real 'Best girl' was the friends we made along the way?
Feurox

Re: S14 submission

Post by Feurox »

How fitting! I had you last year and you got me this year, the SS gods move in mysterious ways!

Evidently I wanted something either bittersweet or outwardly sad, and you fulfilled that expectation! Saki is the obviously choose for my prompt, and I like that you didn’t overplay the hand - it’s sad, yes, but it’s also joyous and special. Very poignant.

Brilliant work Gray and thank you very much!

Merry Christmas ol boy, I hope you have a great one.

My Molly Route
Ekephrasis and Other Stories
I hate when people ruin perfectly good literature with literary terminology.
- CraftyAtom
guthrum06

Post by guthrum06 »

Grayest wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:46 pm

This was great! I really loved it. Thanks for the fic!

Glad you enjoyed it! It was an interesting prompt, and not a situation I had ever considered before, so I enjoyed writing it.

My FanFics
Yamaku: the Next Generation (Complete) - Emi and Hisao's daughter goes to Yamaku.

Sharp-O

Re: Oil & Vinegar

Post by Sharp-O »

guthrum06 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:11 pm

Here's my Secret Santa Submission!

Title: Oil & Vinegar
For: Grayest
Prompt: "Buddy story with Mutou and the Nurse"

Never thought I'd be invested in a Mutou/Nurse story but hot damn, did you ever pull it off! Fantastic work, Guthrum!

guthrum06

Post by guthrum06 »

Thanks! Took me a bit to come up with the premise, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

My FanFics

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

And here is my entry for this year. Glad I managed before Christmas. Was a bit hectic this year.
As always prompt and author’s notes will be at the end for spoiler reasons.

Naughty or Nice

The halls of the main building are practically empty as I hurry through the corridors, trying not to run. I almost let some of my prescriptions run out, and now I had to get the new meds today because the pharmacy will be closed over the holidays, and now I’m running late… Well, not actually running…

The door of room 3-3 is the only one where a sliver of light shines into the dim corridor, and I hear voices, laughter and music from inside. Damn, they already started!

As I open the door and enter, my classmates turn around.

“Hey, Hisao made it!” Akio shouts putting an arm around my shoulders. “We were just wondering if we should go look for you in case you broke down in a corner somewhere!”

A couple of months ago his crass humour would have sent me spiralling back into depression. Has it really only been a few months? Now I don’t even blink. “Nah, wouldn’t miss this even for a heart attack. Not when there’s going to be cookies.”

I disentangle myself from my fellow science club member and put my contribution to the cake and cookie buffet on the desk next to the door. Mine is store-bought, but I see some of my classmates went the extra mile and baked them themselves.

I wave hello to my other classmates. In the back corner, the newspaper trio of Naomi, Natsume and Hanako are sipping fruit punch from cups of paper. Hanako gives a quick wave before returning her attention to her friends.

Over by the window, Taro is feeding orange slices to his girlfriend, the weird artist girl from 3-4 who did the mural for the festival. I talked to her once or twice back when I was new. What was her name? Rin? They seem to be in their own little world, and I’m not sure they even noticed me entering.

Molly, Ikuno, Miki and Misha are sitting around a desk munching cookies… Well, it’s mostly Misha and Miki – Molly is fiddling with her phone, and Ikuno is refraining for obvious reasons.

Leon walks over to Akio and me. “Hisao… uh… late?”

“Yeah, I had to pick up some meds before everything closes for the holidays. Would suck if I had to go down into town just for that tomorrow. Is everyone here now, or are we still waiting for someone?”

Leon looks over to Akio who is happy to do the explanation. “Lit Club is doing their Christmas party today as well, and Suzu and Lezard decided to go to that one. Misaki wanted to spend the day with her boyfriend in town. Shizune, Ritsu ,Haruhiko and Takashi already left to spend the holidays with their families.

“Shizune… and… ah… mad, yes!”

“Yeah, the prez was really pissed when she was told she had to be back home on Christmas Eve. I think she was looking forward to this a lot.”

“Uh… last… and… er…chance… tests.”

I nod at Leon. “Yes, we won’t have many more occasions to get together like this before the exams start next year – if any. We should ask Misha to see if we can do something nice for her before things get too bad.”

Before I can do that the door opens again, and two people come in: The first is a small, portly man with a giant fake beard, a red coat that might – with a bit of goodwill – pass as a Santa Claus costume and a big sack which he puts down on the teacher’s desk. Behind him is Mr. Mutou, dressed up as… Well, as Mr. Mutou, really. He’s carrying a folder wrapped in sparkling golden paper, though he’s touching it gingerly as if he’s afraid the glitter might come off on his fingers.

The man in the costume lets out a loud laugh from his belly: “HO, HO, HO, Merry Christmas children! Have you all been good this year? If so, Santa might have some presents for you!”

All conversations in the classroom end immediately, and at least half the mouths of my friends are hanging open, mine included.

I whisper to Akio: “Who’s the guy playing Santa?”

“That’s Mr. Nomiya, the art teacher,” he replies without being able to tear his gaze from the apparition. “When Shizune and Misha insisted on collecting all our presents beforehand, I suspected they were planning on getting a Santa, but I never expected something like this.”

One by one, all my friends seem to get over their shock; only Misha has a grin so wide I worry about the top of her head falling off. Apparently she’s very pleased the surprise worked so well.

Mr. Nomiya seems to be enjoying himself almost as much. “Let me introduce you to my loyal helper… Kne… Kneck… Kneckt Rupert? Is that correct?” He looks at Misha asking for confirmation. Apparently satisfied he continues. “Kneckt Rupert has been watching you children to see if you’ve been naughty or nice, and he has prepared some reports for me to see if you will get treats or tricks today.”

Misha rushes over to Mr. Nomiya and frantically whispers something into his ear.

“Really? Oh, of course, my bad. Anyway, let’s go through the class roster alphabetically. Rupert?”

He holds out a hand, and Mr. Mutou hands him a sheet from the golden folder. I am certain Misha crafted that thing.

“Arai!” Taro steps forward. “Ah, there you are,… oh, and hello Ms. Tezuka! Let’s see… It says here, you are always trying to help your classmates when they are in trouble. You got passing grades in all subjects and excellent ones in…” he looks from the paper to Taro and back a few times. “…in Home Ec. Yes, I can certainly see that.”

Seriously? What’s that supposed to mean?

“So, you’ve certainly been a nice kid, let me see what I have for you.” The teacher rummages through the sack and produces a few presents that are tagged with Taro’s name and places them on the desk in front of Taro, and Akio helps him carry them all back to his seat. “Next…” He takes another sheet from Mr. Mutou. “… Ikezawa!”

I worry a bit how Hanako might react to being the centre of attention, but she steps forward after only minimal hesitation. “So, according to Rupert here, you have excellent grades overall, especially in literature and you’ve been helping out the newspaper club. You also greatly improved your attendance since summer. All in all an exemplary student! Here, have your presents!”

As Mr. Nomiya digs through his sack, Hanako’s face is bright red from receiving all this praise - I don’t think the applause from Natsume and Naomi are helping either – but as she returns to the two of them with an arm full of presents, she has a grin on her face that almost rivals Misha’s.

“Next, Inoue!” Naomi steps forward. “I see you are very engaged in the newspaper club, and you are good with computers and English…” His grin becomes a frown for a moment. “…but Rupert tells me that you failed your last math test. That won’t do at all, young lady! You know final exams are coming up soon. So, Rupert has some little extra present for you.”

While Mr. Nomiya searches for Naomi’s presents Mr. Mutou hands her a stack of papers. “These are some exercise sheets for math. Please note that those are not homework, but I recommend you still work through them over the holidays.”

Naomi takes the sheets with a face as if he had handed her a dead frog, then gathers her presents and retreats to her corner.

“Next, Ooe!”

As “Santa” continues down the list, I make my way over to Misha. “So… I don’t think this part was your idea, was it?”

She shakes her head. „No, that was Shicchan’s idea. She prepared study materials for every subject and asked Mr. Mutou to hand them out to those who need them.”

I figured that had to be the case.

Leon, who followed me over here, nudges me. “Maybe eh…not and nice… do eh... for Shizune, yes?”

I’m almost sure he is joking, but before I can make sure I hear my name. “Nakai!”

I step up to the desk. “So, I see that Nakai has only been here for a short time, but has already founded a science club and become its president. Also of course excellent grades in science… but not so much in English. Kneckt Rupert! You know what to do!”

If I didn’t know better I would think the art teacher is enjoying this part too much. Mr. Mutou hands me the English exercises in addition to my presents.

Well, looking at the bright side, I would have spent most of the holiday studying anyway, so know at least I have the materials for it. And knowing Shizune I’m sure they are top notch.

After me, Akio gets handed materials for literature and history, and Miki gets a pile of paper that seems to include almost every subject. Mr. Mutou looks grave as he hands it to her.

Then it is Misha’s turn. She steps up to the desk with a resigned expression. She probably knows what’s in store for her.

“Ms. Mikado you have put in a lot of work for the student council. That is very laudable. You also have excellent grades in English, but you are in a very real danger of failing maths and science. I do hope you will work hard to prevent that from happening.”

She returns to our desk and starts absentmindedly flipping through the sheets, looking like sadness personified.

After Leon has received his presents – and no extra materials – the two teachers wish us a merry Christmas again and take their leaves – not without Mr. Nomiya grabbing a handful of cookies on his way out.

Akio looks over at Misha. “So, you’re one of the people who unpack their presents immediately?”

“What? Uh, no, not really… It’s just… I know Shicchan put a lot of effort in it, but it doesn’t really feel like a present, you know?”

Suddenly I feel an arm closing viselike around my shoulder. As I look down I see it ends in a bandaged stump – and as I turn the other way I see Miki’s face right in front of my own.

“So, Hisao, doing anything special over the holidays?”

I sigh. “Study group?”

“That’s how I like my men. Quick on the uptake and always willing.”

“Sure. I guess most of us will stay here for studying anyway. We need a few others, though. Leon for history, Akio for lit… Hey, Misha, want to join in and help us with English?”

“Yeah, I’m not going to be able to do those problems on my own anyway.”

She slides the sheets with the science exercises over to me, and I pick them up.

As I look through them I see that Shizune has to have put a lot of effort into them. Some of the examples seem to have been taken from pretty current scientific magazines, spanning topics from genetics to lasers and astrophysics.

“Hey, those look really interesting! Akio, we should do some of those exercises in the science club after the holidays.”

Miki rolls her eyes. “You’re a nerd…” Then she brings her face close to mine again. “…but you’re just the nerd I need.”

So, Merry Christmas Ivanovich!
The prompt was:

Ivanovich wrote:

MC celebrating Christmas with the cast and Misha got MC something very interesting... (Try to keep it relatively sfw)

I have to admit that this prompt had me stumped for a while. Of course every story should be about something interesting, but having to include something that is interesting in-story is harder than it seems.

So I put that off for last and started with planning out the Christmas party. About the first thing I decided on was Nomiya-Claus. In the beginning I wanted Nurse to play the helper, but I settled on Mutou when the “special presents” idea came up.

And yes, Misha might have mixed up the story of Rupert a bit, since normally he’s supposed to be the helper of St. Nicholas, not Santa Claus.
I was going for a more serious take at first, but soon realized that would not work with the premise, so I went for light-heartedness over literary quality.

The prompt did not specify any special pairing – or any pairing at all – so I decided to go with the “no-pairing-everyone-is-friends” approach - but since it was to be only relatively sfw, I had to slip in at least one lewd joke. Is Miki seriously coming on to him, or is she just teasing? You will have to decide for yourself how any theoretical one on one study session might end…

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

Mirage_GSM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 am

Naughty or Nice

That was a lovely bit of lighthearted fun, Mirage! I love when Hisao gets a friend group rather than a love interest, especially one with familiar faces. :lol:

Is Leon your name for GreyHair McNoName and is he a foreign exchange student?

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Sharp-O wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm
Mirage_GSM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 am

Naughty or Nice

That was a lovely bit of lighthearted fun, Mirage! I love when Hisao gets a friend group rather than a love interest, especially one with familiar faces. :lol:

Is Leon your name for GreyHair McNoName and is he a foreign exchange student?

It's a bit of a reference to one of my older stories, where Lelouch is called "Leon" by everyone, since noone can pronounce his name. The Taro x Rin pariing is also from that story (kinda - Taro was not yet named when I started the story, so he has a different name and a different disability) but nothing else, since that one is set post Emi's good ending.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

Mirage_GSM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:39 pm

It's a bit of a reference to one of my older stories, where Lelouch is called "Leon" by everyone, since noone can pronounce his name.

Ha! Fair enough, I do like how you characterised him.

Mirage_GSM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:39 pm

The Taro x Rin pariing is also from that story (kinda - Taro was not yet named when I started the story, so he has a different name and a different disability) but nothing else, since that one is set post Emi's good ending.

Hey, a Taro x Rin pairing wouldn't be the strangest one he's had and could probably be really sweet. But I also like the inclusion of Akio's characterisation as the class clown and his friendship with Hisao.

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

This was really good :D

I don't have any complaints at all ;D

I like how everyone was written, i like the way things were described (idk the word for it ;( ), and i thought that misha was... well. Misha (she is my fav btw, if you couldn't tell.)

I am glad that you got my prompt ;)

you're a good writer

What in the tarnation is a signature?

hdkv
new forum host for the next 15 years

Three-Way Play

Post by hdkv »

See the notes at the end of the story.

“Oh, here you are!”

It was Lilly who suggested we play hide-and-seek inside the house. At first, we hesitated: she can’t see us, and we thought she coudln’t hide herself properly, but we found out that Lilly can find us anywhere using only sound as guiding source, and she managed to hide herself flawlessly. We spent some twenty minutes searching for her before giving up and admitting defeat.

It was the second day of the Christmas holidays. Lilly invited me and Hanako to spend winter holidays in the house in Hokkaido, where we spent some time earlier in the summer. This place is special for all three of us. For me, it was the place when I admitted to myself that I can’t imagine my life without Lilly or Hanako.

“Hisao, now it’s your turn to hide! I will close my ears for a while…”, Lilly says, putting her palms over her ears.
“…a-and I will close my eyes.”, Hanako adds.

I start counting to sixty in my head while finding the best place to hide. Hmm, this corner of kitchen seems good enough: I can hide myself under the table, and it isn’t visible from the door frame. How fast will they find me this time, anyway? The first time I tried to hide, Lilly found me almost immediately. She told me that I breathe too loud and that she can hear me from the other side of the house. This time I’ll try to hold my breath and keep silent for as long as possible.

“Time’s up!”

I carefully listen to the girls’ footsteps. They’re not close, but not too far either. I carefully move myself under the table into a more comfortable position so I can relax a little while they are searching for me.

It is nice to spend our last vacation before final exams like this. Playing, talking, enjoying ourselves. And while I’m not certain about my own career, and I don’t know yet where I will study, I definitely know that next Christmas we’ll be here again.

The footsteps are closer now. I try to hold my breath, but resistance is futile: I gasp as I see someone approaching me.

“Lilly, come here, I f-found him!”

I move out from underneath the table, defeated.

“Okay, you got me. Shall we try again, or do you girls have another game in mind?”
“I think it’s time for dinner, Hanako, what do you think?”

After finishing dinner and cleaning the table, I sit beside the fireplace wondering how we’ll spend the rest of the evening. Judging by her thoughtful expression Lilly is thinking the same. Hanako, however, has left to another room, to “bring something” from her suitcase, whatever that might be. The quiet sound of her shuffling around in the other room mixed with the sound of logs cracking in the fireplace is quite relaxing, and I shut my eyes to just enjoy serenity. After a moment, a relatively loud banging sound of something being dropped on to the table pulls me out of my reverie.

"I've b-brought a new game for us to play this evening. What d-do you think?"

I open my eyes and see that Hanako returned to the table and there is something bizarre in front of her. It looks like a chess board at first, but something about it is wrong. Unlike a standard square chess board, this one is hexagonal, with quadrilateral cells. On three out of six sides, standard chess pieces are placed in a familiar pattern. Unlike chess there are three armies — black, white and red.

“Lilly, there is an… unusual chess set on the table, look at this.”

Lilly stretches out her hand and places her palm on the chessboard, trying to feel its shape and position. Each of the cells has a hole in the middle that is used to balance pieces and assist blind players. Lilly quizzically arches her eyebrow after feeling the third set of pieces.

“This is… quite interesting, Hanako.”
“I l-like when we play chess, but sometimes…”, with a heavy sigh Hanako continues, “w-when two of us play chess I feel that third one is missing out. Be it me, Hisao, or especially you. So, I’ve been researching options to play chess for three players.”

I haven’t heard anything about chess for three people before.

“I will need some time to learn my way around this board, but it seems like interesting idea to try, Hanako. Thank you.”
“This is c-called three-man chess, it was created in 1984 by George Delke, whose hobby was to invent unique w-ways to play chess. The rules are almost the same, you just need to bear in mind s-some extra things that comes with a hexagonal board. For example…”

After a brief explanation of rules, we start our first match. Lilly takes the white pieces, Hanako takes black, leaving me with the red ones, the player, who starts last. At first it’s awkward: Hanako has already had time to learn the intricacies of this new board, but Lilly and I struggle around the board. Despite not being able to see the board Lilly picks up the game quite quickly and I find myself outplayed by both girls. Hanako checkmates me again.

“Wanna try again?” I ask, basking in the moment with them.
“Of c-course.”

“This was a good idea, Hanako!”, Lilly says, then yawns.

We played three-man chess until late night. I even managed to win once, by checkmating Lilly, but the other matches were split between Lilly’s or Hanako’s favor. I guess we’re out of time now —my insomnia has started playing tricks on me, and whilst I feel like I can stay up until dawn, both girls have been yawning for the last twenty minutes or so, and visibly want to sleep.

“Thank you, Hanako, Lilly. I will put the pieces and board into a drawer and sit down here for a bit longer. I can’t go to sleep right now, sorry with my medication playing tricks on me.”
“N-no problem, Hisao. Good night.”
“Good night.”

We stand up and hug each other before the girls head upstairs to the bedroom. I sigh and sit back into the futon. I look into the fire burning in the fireplace and think about the game, this evening, and Hanako’s words.

“Missing out”.

Huh.

That is quite a clever observation of our relationship. Usually, the chess is a game for two, just like life. But in our case, we have three people. Three players. And we play together. Together in everything we experience.

A year ago I didn’t even know Lilly and Hanako, but now I can’t imagine myself outside of this little misshapen family. And I know they feel the same way. I don’t know how many Christmases I have left, but I do know that I want to spend these days, all of these days, with them.

As we play our little game of three-way chess.

Victim: Razoredge
Prompt: Hisao, Lilly and Hanako are spending the Christmas holidays in Hokkaido, in Lilly's parents' house. It's time to teen shenanigans. Whoever Hisao is dating is up to you.

So much for shenanigans, lol. It was nice to think around this prompt and in the end I created something cozy. Hope you will like it.

Special thanks goes to Feurox, the proofreader and editor for this story.

I provide tech support for this forum. Ping me by email, Discord or DM.
forums changelog
Fleeting Heartbeat Studios: site, Discord.