Game doesn't even start

OP

Game doesn't even start

Post by OP »

Hello guys! I've heard about the project and decided to download demo, but I can't get it to run. After installation, when I try to run it, right off the bat it gives me error message, not even starting up a single window. I'm on WinXP, 2GHz, 512RAM, GeForce 7300 GT, so I really didn't think it could give me any trouble. Does anyone have idea what's going on?
Vertical

Re: Game doesn't even start

Post by Vertical »

Rather than post your adequate pc stats, why not quote the error verbatim?
Imagine me and you...
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

What's the error message?
OP

Post by OP »

I'm using non-english windows, and honestly, all it says is that application caused a trouble and it will be shut down, and it gives me option to see report on error. The 'signature' says
"AppName: katawa shoujo act 1.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 91150000"
And there's further option to see technical details, and it's just a load of hex code.

There are no details given in eror message itself.

I decided to take a screenshot to show you what I meant:
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

I take it you've tried reinstalling?

I wonder what the odds are this is some regional language error. Or a RAM error.

PS - Is that czech?
Imagine me and you...
OP

Post by OP »

Tried reinstalling, nothing has changed. I guess it's not anything regional-related, seeing as I played many and many foreign and indie games and it was never an issue (but it doesn't mean it can't be), and I am not savvy enough to tell if it's hardware-related.

PS. Close, but you missed, I'm Polish, though all slavian languages look alike.
OP

Post by OP »

Additionaly, I noticed that it's actually two error messages that appear, not one, as if program tried and failed to launch twice per try.
EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Ugh, it might be a regional error. Try downloading AppLocale and run the game for an English locale and see if it works.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Can anyone confirm that it works on Polish Windows somewhere else? There was a Ren'Py bug affecting some language versions of Windows like this before.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

OP wrote:PS. Close, but you missed, I'm Polish, though all slavian languages look alike.
Tsk. Yeah, I was guessing along those lines. I had a fond interest in linguistics for a while. Whenever I see words shared by languages it gets my attention.
Imagine me and you...
OP

Post by OP »

Bummer, sadly AppLocale didn't change anything.
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Perhaps using English (United States) for non-Unicode programs (instead of Japanese, as VNs usually have) and re-installing?
OP

Post by OP »

Rednal wrote:Perhaps using English (United States) for non-Unicode programs (instead of Japanese, as VNs usually have) and re-installing?
Do you mean Using English as in "choose English when using AppLocale"? Or something in the OS itself?
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Not, not for Applocale. Go to your Language and Regional Options (Should be through Control Panel), and under the 'Advanced' tab, it has a setting for non-Unicode programs. Switch that to English (United States), you'll probably have to restart, and then try installing the game again. I'm not really a tech person, so I can't guarantee anything, but it MIGHT work.
OP

Post by OP »

Oh, right, I remember it now, I did change it sometime ago for some game, now I see. I'll check this out.

PS. These captchas are getting funnier by the minute. Now "manhunt otter", and what next?