The extent of Rin's independence.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Re: The extent of Rin's independence.

Post by Shades of gray »

Layzuhl wrote:
Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Layzuhl wrote:In the name of SCIENCE I am be pleased to announce that my experiment to put on my pants without using my arms was a success.
Okay. How did you do it?
Two words: elastic waistband.

Now do it with a normal pair of jeans (Zip and button)

I did, took me ten minutes, 7 of which was spent on the zip and button (i have flexible legs, but dang it was hard)

how i did it : dropped jeans to floor, shimmed them about half way up, lay on bed and shimmed the rest of the way,
then used the belt loops to pull together, used big toe and.... whats the name for the toe next to it anyway? yeah that one, gripped the zipper and tugged up,
then i used the belt loop again to pull the hole to button, then grabbed button with other foot and fiddled until i got it in.

i imagine for someone without arms and used to using their feet it would take about 2 mins tops
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

I'm actually a bit curious how the lack of arms affects Rin's ability to maintain homeostasis. Her thermal exposure is less, because she has less surface area, so it would take longer for her to warm up or cool down. On the other hand, there's less mass to heat up, so she might not need to burn as many calories at minimal activity.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Paracelsus wrote:I'm actually a bit curious how the lack of arms affects Rin's ability to maintain homeostasis. Her thermal exposure is less, because she has less surface area, so it would take longer for her to warm up or cool down. On the other hand, there's less mass to heat up, so she might not need to burn as many calories at minimal activity.
Wouldn't it sort of balance out then?
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Csihar wrote:Wouldn't it sort of balance out then?
Maybe. I don't know, I think if her core gets really hot, then it might be harder for her to cool it down, there's less skin surface area.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
das bruce

Post by das bruce »

Consider the different temperatures a human can survive in, there is more than a little wiggle room.
Quidoo

Post by Quidoo »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Csihar wrote:Wouldn't it sort of balance out then?
Maybe. I don't know, I think if her core gets really hot, then it might be harder for her to cool it down, there's less skin surface area.
Her body probably compensates for this by increasing sweating/blood vessel dilation/etc to a higher than average level when her temperature gets higher than it should be.
"Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil!"
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

The boobs compensate for the arms.

About the Emi + Rin living together, yes, it's a decision from th higher-ups. They thought it's good for them to compensate for one-another, seem making a room with all the limbs.
Little did they know that the girls can do everything solo.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Smoku wrote:About the Emi + Rin living together, yes, it's a decision from th higher-ups. They thought it's good for them to compensate for one-another, seem making a room with all the limbs.
Little did they know that the girls can do everything solo.
kosherbacon wrote:IIRC, it was a decision by the housing department.
That is just a joke Emi makes. In reality it's just a (funny) coincidence.

I get the feeling that the world of KS, specifically Yamaku, hasn't really transfered from its basic concept to what it should be, or maybe what we envision the school to be. Perhaps this is a serious flaw in the story so far, a lack of exposition.

Many, possibly a majority of the students definitely don't really need help with their daily life. Roughly a third of the student base are blind, and a bit less than that deaf/deafmute. Now, being either is inconvenient to say the least, but both blind and deaf people can operate in daily life, albeit with various levels of difficulty. Blind people set various "cues" in their daily environment to navigate around more efficiently, and are less likely to wander outside of their "comfort zone". Same for deaf, they tend to be less likely to get in contact with non-deaf people, and have to find a way to communicate when they deal with non-deafs (rudimentary signing, learing to read and write, read lips, learning to speak etc). So while it's not necessary for them to be at the school, the enviroment is one that greatly improves their quality of life by offering plenty of peers to blend in with, and also can step in when actual help is needed (and yes, it is needed at times). In fact, all five of the heroines fit this category, as none of them are true "cripples", unable to get through a day without depending on assistance. Yamaku does not enable these disabled kids to go to a high school (most of them could go to a normal school), it's just specifically designed to support the special nature of its students.

There is a balance to be found: the students of Yamaku are not pitiful cripples who have been gathered in one place to be forgotten, nor are they normal people with lovable character quirks that happen to be things like a lack of limbs or sight. They are disabled, and that makes their lives harder than that of others, but those lives can still be pretty balanced and full.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I was under the impression that the whole point of Yamaku was that it was a place for students who were capable of leading a fairly normal life. For real rehabilitation and serious care, a kid would need to be in a hospital or clinic of some sort. Yamaku on the other hand, was a normal school that had facilities and systems in place to help the students only if necessary.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

They thought it's good for them to compensate for one-another, seem making a room with all the limbs.
There's a bit of a problem there. While Rin wanting to get help, from time to time is pretty self-explanatory, I can't see in what way Emi can be helped. As far as it's shown, she don't ever use a wheelchair, and is by default the most mobile character.

I guess it's pretty safe to treat the whole "complementing" thing as a manifestation of Rin's and Emi's sense of humour, and their relationship as just plain friendship.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Paracelsus wrote:I'm actually a bit curious how the lack of arms affects Rin's ability to maintain homeostasis. Her thermal exposure is less, because she has less surface area, so it would take longer for her to warm up or cool down. On the other hand, there's less mass to heat up, so she might not need to burn as many calories at minimal activity.
OH YOU GUYS!
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Panty Supervisor wrote:
OH YOU GUYS!
Eh? Is there sexual innuendo in there I didn't catch?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:Eh? Is there sexual innuendo in there I didn't catch?
I don't get it either. I figured that he spotted an incredibly lame pun.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
nobody important

Post by nobody important »

NoOne3 wrote:I can't see in what way Emi can be helped. As far as it's shown, she don't ever use a wheelchair, and is by default the most mobile character.

Emi and her crazy cyborg legs can move just fine. It's the stopping she seems to have trouble with. I guess that's what Hisao's there for. :P
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Caesius wrote:Eh? Is there sexual innuendo in there I didn't catch?
I don't get it either. I figured that he spotted an incredibly lame pun.
It looks like he...
... 8) ...
...thinks armless girls are hot.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.