A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

mysterycycle

Re: What makes a good Visual Novel?

Post by mysterycycle »

Good story.

Interesting characters.

Choices to be made.

Good artwork.

Right now, I'm mostly digging on the romantic plots, but other stuff can, of course, be good. I recently played an intriguing demo of a VN called Jisei, which is kind of a supernatural murder mystery that reminds me a lot of the Dean Koontz book Odd Thomas. Probably end up buying that (and its sequel, Kansei) when I have the cash to spare...

I also enjoy VNs that have something to say, or something more than just the story to them. I realize not everybody's into that, but it's something I enjoy even in regular fiction (like Asimov, for example). Christine Love's Analogue: A Hate Story was quite moving and taught me about something I was totally unaware of until playing it. I also recently played a VN called Go! Go! Nippon! had a pretty basic plot and a fluffy little romantic subplot, but it was mostly about a Westerner visiting Japan for the first time, so I quite liked it (though it's a little too enthusiastic about how wonderful Japan is, and the minimal H-content could have been excised, I think).
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Spamamdorf

Post by Spamamdorf »

To me it's all about the characters and plot, more or less in that order too, because it's far easier to have great characters save a bad plot than to have a great plot save bad characters
Route preference:
Kenji>Shizune>Rin>Lilly>>Hanako>>>>Emi
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

I haven't played VN besides Katawa Shoujo, but if my experience as a manga reader and gamer can count, I think the core of a good VN should be consistent plot and characters. They should be interacting between themselves and each other in a smooth and non-forced way. Also, good artwork wouldn't be essential, but would have a heavy influence. Good music and voice should be a welcome bonus, but if it's not that good, we can always have mute options.

At least, that's one of the reasons why KS attracted me so much: characters way better than most stories out there, with a narrative that actually could feel real (for fantasy-style, it should be consistent with its own rules), and great artwork and music. And I think almost always great and well-told stories bring those feels.
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Lots of mind-altering drugs, sleep deprivation, familial estrangement, professional abandonment and five years of mistakenly communicated ideas, arguments and uncontrollable snickering from an immature public.

I might be paraphrasing.
Akros

Post by Akros »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:I haven't played VN besides Katawa Shoujo, but if my experience as a manga reader and gamer can count, I think the core of a good VN should be consistent plot and characters. They should be interacting between themselves and each other in a smooth and non-forced way. Also, good artwork wouldn't be essential, but would have a heavy influence. Good music and voice should be a welcome bonus, but if it's not that good, we can always have mute options.

At least, that's one of the reasons why KS attracted me so much: characters way better than most stories out there, with a narrative that actually could feel real (for fantasy-style, it should be consistent with its own rules), and great artwork and music. And I think almost always great and well-told stories bring those feels.
You sure got that right, just read an Adachi manga and you'll know it for sure
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Good artwork, good BGM, a decent plot and interesting and/or cute characters, . A weirdo is always appreciated. :wink:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)