Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Akros

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Akros »

Seriously SotiCoto, is there something wrong with you? why do you have to be so negative about people running and stuff?
If you prefer to waste your time playing Skyrim, Diablo , Wow or any other videogame, then it's up to you. Quit saying we're wasting our youth and stuff like that and go mind your own business.

Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Akros wrote:Seriously SotiCoto, is there something wrong with you? why do you have to be so negative about people running and stuff?
He's a troll, my friend. And a really really awful one at that. Honestly, his posts just make me feel embarrassed more than angry most of the time -.-

Anyway, the best way to deal with trolls is ignore them.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
hyugafan

Post by hyugafan »

hey everyone. I'M still hanging in there. just got back from W3D1. first days really suck. Also, I figured I was going to run in the evenings, as I am more active at night than in the morning (not a morning person). it'S funny, I remember the first week, running one full minute was difficult. I just ran three minutes straight, so milestone, i guess? I'll keep at it until I can run. congrats to everyone who finished, and to everyone who's attempting the pushup challenge. I'll probably try it after my couch to 5k is done.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

@SotiCoto:
Why do I run? Well, there's the health reason, of course. But running is also a great confidence booster for me. Just knowing that I am already leagues better than I was in Week 2 of the Couch to 5k makes me feel like I can amount to something. And it always feels great to progress to a harder stage. If you don't find a meaning in this like I do, that's fine. For me, getting a high level and a rare weapon in an MMORPG is pointless, but there are people who genuinely see value in achieving that. People place different value in different things, and that's wonderful, since life is meaningless by default. Just pick whatever goal gives you the most satisfaction.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Mirrormn wrote:He's a troll, my friend.
Yup, indeed.
SotiCoto wrote: ... Why would you wanna do that? Spending your youth running so you can be old, wrinkly and useless in a chair for longer?
Well, you spent half an hour three times a week, and you get up to a decade of
Akros wrote:playing Skyrim, Diablo , Wow or
any other game the'll came up till then, while you're retired.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Good job, hyugafan! Keep it up.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Akros

Post by Akros »

Mirrormn wrote:
Akros wrote:Seriously SotiCoto, is there something wrong with you? why do you have to be so negative about people running and stuff?
He's a troll, my friend. And a really really awful one at that. Honestly, his posts just make me feel embarrassed more than angry most of the time -.-

Anyway, the best way to deal with trolls is ignore them.
yeah, got plenty of experience with these guys, but anyway it makes no sense at all to complain about people doing exercise :?
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
NL-=3

Post by NL-=3 »

^That's what troll's do.

@Hyugafan, good job!

Gotta say, kinda looking forward to W7D1 (tomorrow), my first week with no pauzes at all. The last run of 25 minutes was a good run and I completed it without fail. :)
ook

Post by ook »

NL-=3 wrote:^That's what troll's do.

@Hyugafan, good job!

Gotta say, kinda looking forward to W7D1 (tomorrow), my first week with no pauzes at all. The last run of 25 minutes was a good run and I completed it without fail. :)
Good stuff :D

I've decided to do C25K over again, this time pushing myself to go faster during the running sections
W1D1 down :mrgreen: again
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

ook wrote:I've decided to do C25K over again, this time pushing myself to go faster during the running sections
W1D1 down :mrgreen: again
Isn't that a little extreme for a setback? I think Week 4 or 5 would be better. And remember that you use slightly different muscles for sprinting and normal running, so maybe it's best to do a full 30-minute run once a week or two just to maintain your stamina.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

I'm getting kinda jealous of you guys reporting your progress on running. Where do I start? Any basics I should learn? Or should I just jog and run? Can we kill that troll?
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

The couch to 5k program is aimed for people without any running experience. Just follow the schedule and you should do fine (first week your legs will probably be sore though)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

allrighty, I'll check if there's any guide about that 5k thing on the net. (I shall make Emi proud!....someday...)

Ah yes, body pain...The only pain I like coz I know that my muscles are getting stronger!

ooooh, so I only have to run for 30 min. 3 times a week then? Am I getting this right?
ook

Post by ook »

Tempester wrote:Isn't that a little extreme for a setback? I think Week 4 or 5 would be better. And remember that you use slightly different muscles for sprinting and normal running, so maybe it's best to do a full 30-minute run once a week or two just to maintain your stamina.
Perhaps, although my "running" the first time through wasn't much more than exaggerated fast-walking, so I'm still not exactly sprinting. More just... running at a normal speed, which I can do now that I've built up my legs and some stamina from the first time. But I think you're right, it would be good to do an easier long run once a week

ZXRN wrote:I'm getting kinda jealous of you guys reporting your progress on running. Where do I start? Any basics I should learn? Or should I just jog and run? Can we kill that troll?

This is the couch to 5k thing that most people here are using... Couch to 5k with Emi.

Some basics:

Walk about 5 minutes before and after the run to warm up/cool down

Take a day or two to rest between running days (so you run 3 times a week)

Make sure you drink enough water beforehand (and throughout the day) so you're well-hydrated. If your pee is light yellow/almost clear, you're good. It really helps

Stand up straight and try to land on the middle of your foot rather than the heel, it's better for not getting injured.

You can stretch after the run if you want (there's some stretching guides on the first post of this thread)

If you want more, this is a pretty good guide I guess http://running.about.com/od/getstartedw ... sguide.htm
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

That's awsome dood. Clearer than the guide I saw on the net (and it's complete with Emi inspiring you to run.)
You also answered why my foot was hurting when I jogged before.

Kidding aside, I'll start with this tomorrow. Thanks for the tips mate.