Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tempester

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Tempester »

completesky wrote:How many of you guys who are nearly finished Couch to 5K are planning to take up the Bridge to 10K? It's getting lonely...
Don't worry. I'm still here doing the Bt10k (Week 2).
Kilo wrote:I think I'm going to stick to the short runs until I get bored and can't increase speed over 30 minutes anymore...
I mean, I've been into it for the challenge, for the feel of accomplishing something and moving on to better results, more challenges.
But then I'll be running 30 minutes, everyday, no improvement. I am thinking of increasing speed and when I can't anymore, I'll start it :)
Sounds like a good plan. I did a few extra 30 minute runs after completing the Ct5k, then before starting the Bt10k I did a week or two (can't remember) of running for 32 minutes because 30 wasn't enough. :lol:
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
sociopath

Post by sociopath »

HurricaneHarvey wrote: Eh it just seems all a little aggressive. Most people here are starting up a work out routine as has been pointed out. 500 push ups is not a unreasonable goal for one day however one needs to make a goal of doing 5 before they can make it to doing 10 to 50 to 100 and so on and so on.
It's not like Kilo will hit the ground and push down the planet just because someone tells him to.
500 or 100 is just a number. When someone does 1000 of something. What's going to bite isn't the first 700 but the last 300.
Exercise is more like testing yourself and to see what you got. Not doing something daily like a chore.
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

sociopath wrote: It's not like Kilo will hit the ground and push down the planet just because someone tells him to.
500 or 100 is just a number. When someone does 1000 of something. What's going to bite isn't the first 700 but the last 300.
Exercise is more like testing yourself and to see what you got. Not doing something daily like a chore.
I don't know. Pushing down the planet seems pretty cool. How would you be able to tell if you did versus lifting yourself up though? Both would just end in your arms extended and then lowering your self again.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

HurricaneHarvey wrote:I don't know. Pushing down the planet seems pretty cool. How would you be able to tell if you did versus lifting yourself up though? Both would just end in your arms extended and then lowering your self again.
The only way you'd be able to tell would be if you were hurtled into space. If you're still on Earth, the force of pushing down on Earth is cancelled by the gravitational force that keeps Earth attached to you.

Mmm, crispy!

Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Week two is in the bag, though i'm getting shin splints. I'm tall and heavy and my feet pronate inward so I get them frustratingly easily. I bought new shoes and inserts yesterday so I hope that will help. Push-up day one went as well as could be expected: 10/12/7/7/7
sociopath wrote:Exercise is more like testing yourself and to see what you got. Not doing something daily like a chore.
I'm afraid exercise is a chore for for me, though one made much more palatable by the encouragement and example of the gentlemen and possibly ladies on this thread. I don't get the same joy or exhilaration you seem to derive from it; probably a difference in personality. My only (rather modest) goal is to get a bit healthier. Perhaps I'll acquire more of a taste for it as I go along.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Walrusfella wrote:My only (rather modest) goal is to get a bit healthier. Perhaps I'll acquire more of a taste for it as I go along.
This is what happened to me. Back in the day I was like, "Exercise? Pffft forget about it!" (note: read that in the worst 1920's American gangster accent you can muster). However, as the weeks started going on, I was more and more motivated to push on. At first it was, as you pointed out, due to the encouragement of a lot of the people on this thread. Some time after that I kept going because I wanted to, and because I was starting to enjoy it. Week 5 especially presents a challenge in more ways than one, but pushing through that is honestly one of my highlights of the year. That's why I hope you can stick to it.

In the end though, it's your call. Listen to your body and the messages it's sending to you. Listen to a medical professional should you need to seek one. Don't listen to some whack jobs on the internet telling you what you're doing is a paltry task.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Tempester wrote:
HurricaneHarvey wrote:I don't know. Pushing down the planet seems pretty cool. How would you be able to tell if you did versus lifting yourself up though? Both would just end in your arms extended and then lowering your self again.
The only way you'd be able to tell would be if you were hurtled into space. If you're still on Earth, the force of pushing down on Earth is cancelled by the gravitational force that keeps Earth attached to you.
That is just soo unaccurate...
The truth is, with every pushup, situp, or just by standing off the chair you push the whole planet slightly (in reference to your and the planet mutual center of mass). It's just that your mass is so small, comparing to the mass of the Earth, that most of the moving is done on your part, and of course with sitting back down the move is reversed. The only way for, say Kilo, to push the earth farther is for him to gain as much weight he possibly can, so that's not really a healthy choice, as goals go.

Look, what you made me done, It'll take me a whole day to geek down now, sheesh...
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Walrusfella wrote:I'm afraid exercise is a chore for for me, though one made much more palatable by the encouragement and example of the gentlemen and possibly ladies on this thread. I don't get the same joy or exhilaration you seem to derive from it; probably a difference in personality. My only (rather modest) goal is to get a bit healthier. Perhaps I'll acquire more of a taste for it as I go along.
If it makes you feel any better, again, I started off thinking the same you do as well. Then at some point, I realised that my initial pushup test was 30. I did 30 JUST ABOUT, and felt like my arms were going to die, and they hurt like heck for the next couple days whenever I lifted anything heavier than a cup.
Then I realised that last session, I did 5 sets of pushups, EACH of them about 30. And I realised, "Wow, I'm actually improving! I wonder how far I can go?"

I reckon when you get to about W3-5, it'll suddenly hit you. Whether that's "Wow, I can now run to the supermarket without wheezing" or "Wow, I lost HOW MUCH weight?" or whatever, and suddenly you'll really get motivated about it in itself.
The only way for, say Kilo, to push the earth farther is for him to gain as much weight he possibly can, so that's not really a healthy choice, as goals go.
Or to push with more speed. If he pushed down with close to an infinite speed, the earth would shoot off in the other direction pretty quick. Admittedly, he would fly into space a heck of a lot faster (relative masses etc) but still.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
sociopath

Post by sociopath »

Walrusfella wrote: I'm afraid exercise is a chore for for me, though one made much more palatable by the encouragement and example of the gentlemen and possibly ladies on this thread. I don't get the same joy or exhilaration you seem to derive from it; probably a difference in personality. My only (rather modest) goal is to get a bit healthier. Perhaps I'll acquire more of a taste for it as I go along.
You watch person X exercise, maybe it was the latex men in 300, De Niro in Cape Fear or some girl without legs in a dating sim.
Whatever the reason you start to exercise and you discover it's heavy shit.
Because exercise does suck in the beginning. I got up to 120 situps the first time.
The second time I did 500 and it was a pain in the ass, every single one of them were heavy to do.
I felt like the fattest person on earth while I was doing that. But in the end you're just out of shape.
And then you do it like any other day but this day, THIS TIME IT'S EASY. And it's fucking great.

You talk to people and they ask you why you exercise, this is what you say:

Destiny walks up to you, he's about to say something, but you don't care and just hit him straight in the face POW!

Lift up your shirt and show Batman your six-pack! Make the bastard jealous!

So why do we exercise? We exercise because we're the baddest people around
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

NoOne3 wrote:That is just soo unaccurate...
The truth is, with every pushup, situp, or just by standing off the chair you push the whole planet slightly (in reference to your and the planet mutual center of mass). It's just that your mass is so small, comparing to the mass of the Earth, that most of the moving is done on your part, and of course with sitting back down the move is reversed. The only way for, say Kilo, to push the earth farther is for him to gain as much weight he possibly can, so that's not really a healthy choice, as goals go.

Look, what you made me done, It'll take me a whole day to geek down now, sheesh...
Nice, thanks for clearing that up. But the end result is still the same and jumping a lot simply won't displace Earth's orbit in the long run.
sociopath wrote:*snip*
Fine post, good sir.
Mmm, crispy!

Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I think I'll skip the additional 25 minute runs and 28 minute run, improving every day is fine for me.
Today I'll finish the 28 one and tomorrow I'll move on to 30, then I'll do it for 3 days I guess and then I'll be trying to increase speed. I hope I can do it (Short legs, THEM SHORT LEGS). I'm getting increasingly annoyed because of friends racing me, I losing and then they tell me that I'm not improving. :roll:
At least I can convince myself that I'm doing endurance training now and speed can wait a week.
Walrusfella wrote:Perhaps I'll acquire more of a taste for it as I go along.
At least I did.
Sure, in the beginning I already took a liking to it, but it got much better by the time I realized it was actually working, and it was not just something to get my mind off the emptiness I got after reading a good piece of literature.
Couchto5k Progress:
Kind-of-complete, increasing speed now.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I've started doing my exercises in the evening ebfore bed, since I feel a bit drained afterwards, and it helps me go to sleep, as well as avoiding me feeling tired for a bit afters during the day.

Anyways, today looked to be brutal.
29/33/29/29/40+ I did 30/33/29/29/34

My arms gave out on the last set leaving me six short, but I did an extra one on the first set, so I was only really 5 short overall. I'll see how W5 goes, if I struggle at all W5D1 I'll just redo W4 again.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Emi's Couch to 5k is complete! I'd like to give a big shout-out to the people on this thread!

You guys rock.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Ciclo

Post by Ciclo »

*Adds to workout list

I'm always up for a challenge! :D
Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

MoogleDee wrote:Emi's Couch to 5k is complete! I'd like to give a big shout-out to the people on this thread!

You guys rock.
Excellent news! Are you going to keep doing 30-minute runs every week? You don't really have to move to a more intense program like the Bt10k like what I'm doing.
Mmm, crispy!