Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Althamus

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Althamus »

I really can't imagine there'd be a minimum age for any kind of exercise, although probably don't go crazy on it while your body is still growing. Once you've stopped growing upwards, you can probably go nuts, but until then moderate upper body exercise I imagine would be fine, and might be beneficial to you long-term.
(By moderate, I mean the 100 pushup challenge or something I imagine would be fine. Don't set yourself a target to bench press a car, or look like Arnie or something).

If you're concerned though, see if you can find a professional and ask them if they know, or where you could find out more details about it.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Althamus wrote:If you're concerned though, see if you can find a professional and ask them if they know, or where you could find out more details about it.
Most people I asked to said no, I can't. They didn't even recommend the moderate exercise...
Maybe it's because of the height problem I mentioned before. THIS is the age where my father and my cousin's body went apestool, so I'll probably have to wait for a while...
Couchto5k Progress:
Kind-of-complete, increasing speed now.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

My guess is, you should treat it as fun, and enjoy what you like.
Unless you're thinking about going pro in some sport, in which case you need a professional coach.

Edit:
I just had a thought:
What do you think about martial arts? Not, like streetwise dentistry, but a proper one: karate, aikido, judo... There are usually a set of different age groups at every dojo, and this kind of training focus on different aspects than raw strenght, or endurance. Plus a healthy dose of basic discipline. Great way to vent steam in a supervised, controlled environment, I would say.
In your parts it might be a capoirea, or something...
I almost enrolled once onto an iaido group, but there was not enough people interested.

I just hope they don't make krav-maga lessons for kids yet.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Week 9 Day 2... didn't go so well today. I'll repeat it again on Wednesday. Sidenote: I'm almost done, woo!
Manman wrote:MYYYYYY LEEEEEEEEGGSSS!
That's just your body speaking to you. It's very proud of you!
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

MoogleDee wrote:Week 9 Day 2... didn't go so well today. I'll repeat it again on Wednesday.
What's the difference between repeating W9D2 and moving on to W9D3? =O
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Ow. Ow ow ow!

I did Week 9 Day 1 just earlier. I'm not sure whether it was my arrogant decision to start out my routine with 5 minutes of full-out running (as opposed to the very moderate energy-conservation jogging pace I usually adopt), or that I didn't drink enough (well, any, to be honest) water during the day, but I had stitches, cramps, and general pain throughout my sides, back, lungs, and diaphragm for basically the whole run. It was awful! Still, I somehow managed to not only stumble through another 22 minutes of jogging, but also fit in 3 additional minutes of running at the rare points when my pain subsided a little (making 30 minutes total). Something I realized today was that my body has gotten so used to the program that light jogging on level ground is something I look forward to as restful, in much the same way the walking breaks were during the start of the program. Almost all of my energy now goes towards higher speed running or making my way up hills.

Anyway, just one more normal run before my... public debut, I guess. My Week 9 Day 3 is going to coincide with a charity 5k run/walk I signed up for this Saturday. It's going to be very relaxed and non-competitive (or so I've been told), so it won't be embarrassing if I fail to jog/run the whole distance, but I'm feeling optimistic. In any event, it should be fun, and I'll get a T-shirt.

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Mirrormn wrote:I win!

Today was supposed to be Week 7 Day 2 for me (25 minute jog), but by the time I was ~24 minutes in, I didn't feel tired at all.

So I just kept going.

Not only did I continue running for another 5 minutes, but I also started going faster and faster. By the 27 minute mark, I was more running than jogging, and even that didn't tire me, so I went faster still, so by the 29 minute mark I was at a full-out sprint.

It was a full 30 minute run in the end, which means I have effectively skipped 1 weeks of the program, and my next run will now be Week 9 Day 1.

I also signed up for a charity 5k run/walk on April 28th, and a 5k race near the end of June. It's completely baffling to me to do be in this good of shape, considering my personal history. I feel great!
Maaan, that's amazing.
I'm going to start this very soon, but since you've made so much progress, advice from you would be helpful.
How did you feel on the 1st week? 1 minute running, 1 1/2 walking.
"Don't die!"
~Anonymous
hyugafan

Post by hyugafan »

first day of the second week done. the pain in my joints is gone, but the run doesn't get any easier. I am no longer a wheezing mess, but I am really beast afterwards. there is just a big difference between running 1 minute and running 1:30. I hope I'm going to manage to build enough endurance to keep going.

also, I went biking with some friends this weekend, reaffirming my need to work on my cardio. I was nearly dead after a few measly 15 kilometers. What really bums me is that I'm going to have to deal with the canadian ''grey, cold and wet'' spring weather for the next week if the forecast holds. I'm running in track sweatpant, heavy spring leather shoes (running shoes just make my feet wet) and my windbreaker with a sleeved shirt underneath. I've god a headband and some gloves too.

got any tips to working in the rain?
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Eclipse wrote: Maaan, that's amazing.
I'm going to start this very soon, but since you've made so much progress, advice from you would be helpful.
How did you feel on the 1st week? 1 minute running, 1 1/2 walking.
To be frank, I didn't really start from the "couch"; last year, from about April to August, I took regular brisk walks with a bit of jogging mixed in (no set program, just whatever I felt like doing), but then I moved to a new place and in doing so lost the motivation to continue my routine in a new environment. I had already resolved, during New Year's, to resume regular exercise as soon as the weather got warm enough. Reading Katawa Shoujo, being introduced to Emi's Ct5K program, and finding this supportive community all happened to serendipitously coincide with that change in weather, and reinforced my motivation quite nicely.

The point is, walking and running was not as foreign a concept to my legs as it may be to some others who have started the program. I didn't have any real trouble until Week 4, when, due to the terrain of the roads around my apartment and the schedule of the Ct5K program, I started having to run up the hill back to my apartment instead of walking up it. That made things much more difficult for me, but is also probably the reason I was able to effectively skip Week 8 (since I finally removed that torturous hill from my running route - apparently jogging on level ground is far easier than jogging up hills!).

MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Mirrormn wrote:
MoogleDee wrote:Week 9 Day 2... didn't go so well today. I'll repeat it again on Wednesday.
What's the difference between repeating W9D2 and moving on to W9D3? =O
The difference is my stubborn nature :P Also, it works out for me better in my head that the program end on a Friday.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Akros

Post by Akros »

Hi there everyone!

I just found out about the game like a couple of weeks ago, and after completing some of the routes (Emi, Shizune and Hanako) I totally felt like I needed to start running again :P
So I decided to give it a go yesterday morning, starting with the 5K program from scratch since it's been like 2 years since I gave up any mayor physical activity.
I'll probably do Week 1 Day 2 tonight, since I did Day 1 really early yesterday. I felt tired after the run, but not as much as I thought I would be, even though I kind of wanted to puke, but I think that's because of the previous car ride I had to take in the morning :P
So any advice I should consider?
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Akros wrote:So any advice I should consider?
Well, you can read the topic for any useful clues.
It's only... JEHOSHAPHAT! It's over 9000! ... uh, I meant over 50 pages long!
When did it grow like that? Anyone?

Anyway, first thing is to start.
Second to keep going, keeping schedule, or making your own.
Third is not to get hurt. You can do it by playing it relatively safe, and listening what your body has to say. It might be lazy, so the hardest part is figuring out whether the feeling of your legs falling off, and lungs coming out is real or just a clever makebelieve on their part. Them treacherous knees too...
Akros

Post by Akros »

NoOne3 wrote: It might be lazy, so the hardest part is figuring out whether the feeling of your legs falling off, and lungs coming out is real or just a clever makebelieve on their part. Them treacherous knees too...
Everytime I've tried to get myself to do something it kind of feels like that for the first week, so I just ignore it, and keep going. Second week is already ok so there's normally no problem with it afterwards.
Thanks for the reply :D
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Kilo wrote:I had to take a two-day rest because of lack of opportunity.
Saturday was raining like there was no tomorrow here, and yesterday I spent the whole day at a birthday-paintball-pizza-eating thing.
I really want to get back to running now! :mrgreen:
Also... What is the minimum age for upper-body muscle exercise? I mean, like pushups and stuff.
Ha don't worry. I was gonna workout yesterday since I just back in my routine, then I remembered I volunteered to donate blood. Even better all happened on my cake day. :lol:

Today I should be able to resume though.

But to answer your question about strength training, I would probably say around the teens/start of High School. I mean my High School when I went offered me to workout in the weight room during gym from my Freshmen to Senior Year.

Here's some info if you're curious to get started.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
sociopath

Post by sociopath »

Althamus wrote:I really can't imagine there'd be a minimum age for any kind of exercise, although probably don't go crazy on it while your body is still growing. Once you've stopped growing upwards, you can probably go nuts, but until then moderate upper body exercise I imagine would be fine, and might be beneficial to you long-term.
(By moderate, I mean the 100 pushup challenge or something I imagine would be fine. Don't set yourself a target to bench press a car, or look like Arnie or something).

If you're concerned though, see if you can find a professional and ask them if they know, or where you could find out more details about it.
100 pushups?

Kilo wrote: Also... What is the minimum age for upper-body muscle exercise? I mean, like pushups and stuff.
hey guys, how old do i have to be to do pushups?
wat, you just do them, lots of them
yeah but how? how many?
uh, it doesn't really matter
but how many do you do?
thousands

what about over-training?

Kilo wrote: Also... What is the minimum age for upper-body muscle exercise? I mean, like pushups and stuff.
kilo: just grab some paper and write 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100, and mark an X after you do ten reps, aim for 500.
Also do dips and situps. pull-ups are also excellent if you can use the stairs or a wardrobe or something.
If your stomach feels like hell tomorrow just skip situps and do pushups and dips.