Would you choose the harem route if it was avaliable?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Would you choose the harem route if it was avaliable?

Post by yummines »

Now I'm not talking about fan-works or anything like that. I'm not asking for it to be implemented in the game, or in a sequel or whatever. So mods, don't ban me :D

I mean if there really was a route where instead of just focusing all his time and effort in one girl you could try to work out the situation between multiple girls?

One thing that was always in the back of my mind while replaying the game is that because you focus on one route, the 4 other girls (excpet Shizune who appears for minor roles in most paths) are virtually nonexistent (except for the best friend of said character). Currently I'm on Shizune's route. I just thought about how because since you're in the Student Council you obviously can't be in the art club (thus never getting close to Rin) and because Shizune has issues with Lily you're not going to be around Hanako. That means if Rindoes take up painting, Hisao can't help her after her breakdown if she decides to go through with the exhibition as well as Hanako still feeling like she is a burden to whomever she is close to.

So, just asking. Would you? I personally wouldn't cause it would be an impossibly superhuman task that kind of impacts the realistic appeal of the game, as well as making the relationships between the girls likely more impersonal. After all you'd want to be someone's one and only and the other way around right?

p.s. if you're asking why i even thought of this, blame to-Love-ru Darkness :oops:
Cabulb

Re: Would you choose the harem route if it was avaliable?

Post by Cabulb »

Considering Lilly's Healthy Adolescent Sex Drive was already making Hisao HNNNNNGG, harem would be a death sentence.
Breaker deGodot

Post by Breaker deGodot »

I would, but only for completion's sake. The idea of having all of the girls at once doesn't appeal to me on a storytelling level. It seems cheap.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-Francis Bacon
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I think I would, but only to a certain extent so that it wouldn't seem so 'superhuman'. I think casual conversations with the girls who I wouldn't be focusing on running after would be fine, but to put that amount of detail into each story would seem incredibly arduous for the writers.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I'd try it. I've certainly tried everything else in the game. Frankly,I don't think ending up with every girl would work from a story telling point of view though.
Not Dead Yet
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

I'm envisioning a route in which Hisao attempts to become friends with all the girls, keeps up with their separate endeavors, helps them all out when he has time, and gets to see how they all resolve their issues (or don't) by themselves. It would be interesting to see a wide sampling of all the storylines and to see how the girls act without Hisao's direct intervention. Given the realistic nature of Katawa Shoujo, however, I doubt Hisao's use of this tactic would allow him to achieve a steamy h-scene with any of the girls, let alone all of them at once.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I wouldn't. The girls seem to get by fine without Hisao when he's on another route. I'm not the sort of person who would enjoy the "harem" thing even as a silly story.

I probably would try Mirrormn's proposed route where he's friends with all or most of them. Perhaps that would be a route more about Hisao himself?
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I'm envisioning a route in which Hisao attempts to become friends with all the girls, keeps up with their separate endeavors, helps them all out when he has time, and gets to see how they all resolve their issues (or don't) by themselves. It would be interesting to see a wide sampling of all the storylines and to see how the girls act without Hisao's direct intervention. Given the realistic nature of Katawa Shoujo, however, I doubt Hisao's use of this tactic would allow him to achieve a steamy h-scene with any of the girls, let alone all of them at once.
So, less of a story about Hisao's romances and more of a story about Hisao making a lot of good friends but not getting anywhere (romantically speaking) with any of the girls. Sounds interesting.
Not Dead Yet
Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

Mirrormn wrote:I'm envisioning a route in which Hisao attempts to become friends with all the girls, keeps up with their separate endeavors, helps them all out when he has time, and gets to see how they all resolve their issues (or don't) by themselves. It would be interesting to see a wide sampling of all the storylines and to see how the girls act without Hisao's direct intervention. Given the realistic nature of Katawa Shoujo, however, I doubt Hisao's use of this tactic would allow him to achieve a steamy h-scene with any of the girls, let alone all of them at once.
I was going to make an original post, but this sums up my view on this perfectly.
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Oddball wrote: So, less of a story about Hisao's romances and more of a story about Hisao making a lot of good friends but not getting anywhere (romantically speaking) with any of the girls.
Yeah, pretty much. You could even have the girls interact with each other a lot more than they do in their own specific routes. Maybe when Shizune and Hanako play chess, Hisao's acquaintance with Hanako would make her slightly less nervous and therefore able to not be completely dominated at speed chess, starting a tentative friendship between Hanako and Shizune. Maybe that could eventually lead to some proper reconciliation between Shizune and Lilly. Maybe Emi would encourage Rin to do her exhibition, and perhaps, lacking an obsessively present Hisao to visit her in the atelier, she would not forbid Emi from visiting her, and that would lead to a deeper understanding between them, especially as Emi tried to comprehend and deal with Rin's self-destructive drive. And then Emi, upon cutting her leg on her running prosthetics, might avoid seeing the Nurse for so long that she developed a much worse infection, but since Rin would be too focused on painting to support her, she would have to turn the the track team captain for comfort. But the track team captain would be preoccupied with his crush on Hisao, because he's noticed how Hisao seems to be so friendly with all the girls but not really interested in dating them, so he thinks Hisao is gay! But when Emi convinces the track team captain to go visit Hisao's room to see if he's interested, the two of them run in to Kenji, who, due to his poor eyesight, mistakes the track team captain pushing Emi's wheelchair as killer robot sent by feminist agents to assassinate him, and starts shooting them with the airsoft rifle he keeps in his room. And then Shizune, who noticed Emi going into the male dorms and followed her to scold her for breaking the rules, walks in on the battle occurring outside Hisao's room and joins in (with Misha, predictably, right beside her). Then, as Hisao, Lilly, and Hanako are walking back to the dorms, they hear the fracas occurring from outside, and decide to go together and investigate. All of them have a pitched battle against Kenji in the hallway of the male dorms. Although they have the superior numbers by far, Kenji is better armed and holds a fortified position, so it's no easy task to take him down. Eventually they manage it, and as they're leading him out of the dorms to the administrator's office, they walk by Rin, who came to the dorms to look for Emi (since she finished painting for her exhibition) but then got distracted and started looking at clouds, and Rin starts to question them about what happened, at which point they all start to give differing accounts of who started the fight, who was on which side, etc. In the ensuing argument, Kenji manages to slip away, and then all of the main characters have to organize into search parties to hunt him down...

... this is getting seriously off track. Anyway, all I'm saying is it could be interesting.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

No I would not
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Mirrormn wrote: Yeah, pretty much. You could even have the girls interact with each other a lot more than they do in their own specific routes.
/snip
... this is getting seriously off track. Anyway, all I'm saying is it could be interesting.
Write a fanfic about this idea, already, OK? I'm looking forward to it. :) You can call it "Hisao, Master of Friendship".
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

Holy shit Mirrormn, just wow. That'd make for some mighty fine fan fiction right there.
As for the Harem thing, I'm forcing myself to go through Shizune's as it is now so I probably would. My view on it? No, it just is too silly and farfetched.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Mirrormn wrote:Yeah, pretty much. You could even have the girls interact with each other a lot more than they do in their own specific routes.
/snip
Mirrormn, your Hisao just evolve into the Akise Aru-version of KS. (Akise Aru is the kid-detective in Mirai Nikki)

made out of pure awesome-sauce.

anyway, a harem ending leads Hisao to the end of a kitchen knife from one of the girls, or in a nice boat.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
phys-

Post by phys- »

Seriously, there should have been a threesome route with Misha and Shizune.
They put a love triangle in the game, why not solving it the best possible way?

After Misha's confession on the rooftop, Hisao would speak to Shizune convincing
her that her friend deserves to be happy.
This would add the last arrow Shizune -> Misha to the love triangle:
Hisao <-> Shizune <- Misha <->