Just looking for some advice, I guess.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

eleventhirtyeight

Just looking for some advice, I guess.

Post by eleventhirtyeight »

So, around when KS came out, my boyfriend got me into it and he quickly played through all the routes. I, not having much or any time at all due to school work and extracurriculars and such, finished just Emi's route and started Hanako's and Shizune's. (I put Hanako's aside for a little while because Shizune's story is my boyfriends favorite and he wanted me to play through it).

My problem really is the fact that when I play something like KS, I want to do it all in one sitting, or close to it. And me, not having enough time at all to sit down for more than maybe an hour or so, don't get this chance. So when I do play, and then I don't get to play again for a long time, I just don't feel like starting back up again because I know I'll be stopped before I want to stop again, if that makes sense.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? It's a FANTASTIC game and I love it with all my heart, but I don't know how to be okay with
a) playing it in little chunks at a time
or
b) not playing it for VERY long periods of time.

:(
Sunlight will shine on my life again, so let the past burn now down in flames.

Alas, earwax!

[insert witty or interesting something here]
Camoufrage

Re: Just looking for some advice, I guess.

Post by Camoufrage »

Thats what I did, Ive had the game for about a week and Im 100% complete. I wish I didnt, too many emotions at once, nearly disabled me for a week :lol:

Truly, take maybe a 3 day break between story arcs, or a week if your tough enough. Do it for your own sake, you wont sink it all in.
eleventhirtyeight

See, the thing is it takes me even a week to have time to get through one arc. :/ I know my problem might sound a little foolish, but I figured here would be a good place to talk about it.

Alas, earwax!

Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

It seems that way for a lot of people around here. For some reason Im able to complete the paths in about 4 hours each, I guess Im a fast reader.

Well if it takes a week, still take maybe 2 or 3 day breaks in between. you may not want to, but you dont want to go into one story arc when you cant stop thinking about the last one. Maybe just wait till everything sinks in then head to the next one.
eleventhirtyeight

That makes sense though, thanks. :) I guess the biggest problem is that I can't stand it taking that long for one arc, mostly it's because I'm so busy, and I can't play more than half an hour at a time, and sometimes I can't play for days at a time and I don't feel like starting up again because I know I won't have much time, so it ends up taking far longer...
Last edited by eleventhirtyeight on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alas, earwax!

Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

pull an allnighter
eleventhirtyeight

Dude, I wish...

Alas, earwax!

stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Brogurt wrote:pull an allnighter
Not the best advice in the world, at least according to me when I had to when I had 2 projects and a final due the next day. Probably should had started the projects earlier on my part but still, an allnighter makes next day a torture in school. Another thing, according to some study I researched, pulling an allnighter or sleeping 10 hours less a week than you should is the equivalent of you being drunk in level of attentiveness.
zetsubouwalker

Post by zetsubouwalker »

I pulled an all nighter when I was doing Rin's route, because I knew it would be my favourite.
The transition between two acts is usually pretty easy, so I went act by act for Emi's, whom I had first.

Regrettably I haven't been able to play much lately due to exams, and I told myself I couldn't start any because I'd stay up without studying and probably fail.
Only 3 more days!

In conclusion, going act by act is very doable without a feeling of having not completed anything, the rest is just willpower.
Mentlegen

Post by Mentlegen »

Are you using the skip mode whenever you start a new story? That usually saves you a lot of time until you have start making decisions that you didn't make before.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

stanman237 wrote:
Brogurt wrote:pull an allnighter
Not the best advice in the world, at least according to me when I had to when I had 2 projects and a final due the next day. Probably should had started the projects earlier on my part but still, an allnighter makes next day a torture in school. Another thing, according to some study I researched, pulling an allnighter or sleeping 10 hours less a week than you should is the equivalent of you being drunk in level of attentiveness.
Every self respecting visual novel player has pulled at least a few all-nighters especially when starting out with the medium. Actually since I had more free time in college and I now live in a dorm, the all nighters have been more frequent in attempts to reduce my backlog.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Do you not even have 8 free hours on the weekend to go though one route?
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

It generally takes me about 4-5 hours to go through a route but even that isn't the kind of time some people can dedicate to something all at once. That said I don't know how to help you. If you don't have the spare time to sit and read through a whole route at once then you don't have the time, simple as that. You'll need to break it into chunks that work for you and do them at a pace you can afford to take. Much like reading a book chapters at a time, KS can be broken up without too much fuss. The game even breaks itself into acts (with the title cards), major scene changes (When you see the KS logo), or just minor scene changes (when the characters move from one location/topic to another or when the music changes). Breaking when you're given a choice to make can also work with the added advantage that saving there lets you come back to that decision when you want to go for the other endings after you finish.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
Gilrond

Post by Gilrond »

How about using the OST to try and stay "in the mood" between sessions? That's what I'd do
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Well, what I did was make a lot of save games everywhere, and try to play one Act (chapter) at the time. If that's not acceptable, and you can't make enough time in the week-ends either, you might consider either taking a holiday(if you work) or waiting until the holidays (if you're in school). KS is great, so it's worth waiting for if you can't enjoy it piecemeal.

Oh, and listening to the sound track is a great idea. I just put "Afternoon" on loop and listened to that one song a lot between my playing.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.