Reading while Playing

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Out-All Knight

Reading while Playing

Post by Out-All Knight »

Question: While reading Katawa Shoujo, Do you read it aloud?
Because that's what I'm doing in my second playthrough. It was a good exercise to my mouth. :)
PikKirby

Re: Reading while Playing

Post by PikKirby »

I find that actually saying the lines doesn't leave my imagination to do much. Lilly talking in a deep manly voice isn't the most immersing experience...
ImageImageImageImageImage
SirLadette

Post by SirLadette »

Whenever I try to read something out loud I stumble over the words and end up skipping lines. Reading everything in my head keeps me from throwing off my groove.
Ship all the characters!

Reppin' Team Misha, all day ere-day.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Maybe I'm just weird, but whenever I read something out loud I can't actually concentrate on what I'm reading. After I'm done, I have almost no Idea of what I've just said, which means I have to read it again silently so that I can comprehend it.
TheMaskedWriter

Post by TheMaskedWriter »

I found myself settling into a very upsetting pattern;
I would read aloud Hisao's lines and his internal monologue, but imagine in my head the voices of the girls and other characters.
Looking back, that makes me feel a little weird.
extremepiwy

Post by extremepiwy »

Lilly talking in a deep manly voice isn't the most immersing experience...
I agree :D I find that reading the story out in my head is a much better experience. Imagining a realistic feminine voice in my head is much better than listening to a deep, monotone voice for a few hours. That would probably give me a sore throat and whoever walks by my room would be asking a lot of questions...
"WAHAHAHA!~"
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

TheMaskedWriter wrote:I found myself settling into a very upsetting pattern;
I would read aloud Hisao's lines and his internal monologue, but imagine in my head the voices of the girls and other characters.
Looking back, that makes me feel a little weird.
I understand how as it seems a bit weird but a visual novel is a novel right?
Shouldn't be read like novel?; I thought it would be a good enhancement to the experience.

I guess there is a strong difference to reading silently as opposed to reading out loud.
Brodoin

Post by Brodoin »

ShadeHaven wrote:Maybe I'm just weird, but whenever I read something out loud I can't actually concentrate on what I'm reading. After I'm done, I have almost no Idea of what I've just said, which means I have to read it again silently so that I can comprehend it.
I'm the same way.

Plus I have a really deep voice. As others have said, it'd be weird to speak out loud as Misha or pretty much any female character. (Only person I can see myself doing my own voice as is Mutou)

I've already established a voice for all of them in my head anyway. Even Shizune.
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

While it would be interesting, I just don't like reading anything aloud. Plus, I don't think I could some of the expressions sound convincing to myself, and I doubt the rest of the my family would appreciate hearing me yell an awkward WAHAHAHAHAHA~ every two minutes for an hour.
Mah

Post by Mah »

I have read half aloud Hisaos actual said lines, to make a more distinct separation on what actually gets said, and what is just thought of.
But I'm in an easy position here, even if someone wold hear what I'm saying none would understand, since they don't speak English. :lol:
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

I only read the male lines and I'm trying to practice some voice actin' or something. But I suck at it. Hard.

But nope, can't really have too much heart to read the H-scene lines, yo.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
TheMaskedWriter

Post by TheMaskedWriter »

Ivan The Mouse wrote:I only read the male lines and I'm trying to practice some voice actin' or something. But I suck at it. Hard.

But nope, can't really have too much heart to read the H-scene lines, yo.
Oh god, this. H-scene, can't read aloud.
Nopnopenope.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I read many times faster than I can speak.

If I were to read out loud, I'd have to slow myself down a LOT. Plus, I haven't read out loud for years, it would probably take my some time to get back used to it, as my mind reads as fast as it can, but my lips trail behind and I'd stumble over words.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Althamus wrote:I read many times faster than I can speak.
Same for me. However, I have recently been watching ChilledChaos's Youtube playthrough of KS (in which he reads all of the text aloud), and I have found it surprising how much "fluff" text you skip over while reading quickly in your head that turns out to not be so fluffy. Giving the weight of a deliberate vocal utterance to every word seems to make the story considerably more immersive. Not only that, but it gives you time to consider the connotations and nuances of every sentence that is used. It creates little hills and valleys of suspense and resolution between distinct thoughts, pieces of dialogue, separate text boxes, that you just gloss right over if you speed-read.

I'm considering forcing myself to read everything aloud the next time I play through the game myself.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune