On the subject of "White Knights"...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mugendai

Re: On the subject of "White Knights"...

Post by Mugendai »

I very nearly chose calling it a day rather than taking her to town because I thought she wouldn't really want to go to the city. But that's no way to spend time with someone, particularly one whom you saw as your equal anyway, (and I thought it made for poor character development) and so in the end I chose the latter. As such, I landed on the good ending on my first time on her route.

So I would say I didn't white knight her, but I did feel sorry for her at some points and wanted to connect with her, rather than snub her as Hisao would in the other routes. It kind of sucks to be alone, even for introverted people (like me and her).

I was expecting her to grow strong over the route to the good ending, rather than continue to be someone who seemed to need help or protection -- and that's what she did.

On the topic of a certain Hanako white knight we're speaking about here, I think there will always be those who white knight anyone they feel strongly for, even if that person being white knighted doesn't need or want it.
Last edited by Mugendai on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed routes in order: Emi, Kenji, Hanako, Rin
V_nce

Post by V_nce »

Just hand her the chocolate, dammit.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Kilo wrote:Enough lurking on whatever Hanako topic and you'll find him.
Freaking white-knighting that he takes so seriously it makes me want to puke.
I remembered his name the instant you said that and doubled checked where he was from. ...... I nearly gagged at his some of his comments, too.
I think I got into it with him a few times because I kept it real with him for being butthurt over a video game character. I always wondering if he is the same dude who was trying to "troll" me on my Hanako bad ending video on youtube.

Anyway, I think it's good trade off, you white knight her, you get the bad ending and cussed out. You get the good ending because you treat the lass like a person who need no man.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

I would want to protect Hanako, but not because she is incapable of protecting herself. I would protect her like I would protect anyone else I cared about. Someone would hurt her, Id want to kick their ass. However, I would also let that person fight their own battles. Id be there in support for them, but I wouldnt take over insisting that they cant fight for themselves. As much as it would hurt to do so, I would make her have to deal with some of it on her own, otherwise she would never learn how to fight for herself. If that happened, how would she take care of herself on those times when I cant be around?

However, in the defense of the white knighters, she does give off that vibe in the beginning of needing constant protection just like a little kitten. She shows on her own though through her arc that she is stronger than she lets on.

So please, even though Im a Hanako fan, dont lump me in with the white knighters.

I also got her good ending first play through of her arc.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

However, do not forget that It is easy for the strong to prey on the weak instead of the strong, so protection on some level is required.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Alexbond45 wrote:However, do not forget that It is easy for the strong to prey on the weak instead of the strong, so protection on some level is required.
Indeed, very true. However it is easy to take it too far. Im saying I would do my best to balance it between being too strong and not being enough.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

My personality to too strong, so I would probably end up avoiding contact in the first place.

By too strong, I mean, I would probably over do it, because I hate seeing people suffer.
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Alexbond45 wrote:However, do not forget that It is easy for the strong to prey on the weak instead of the strong, so protection on some level is required.
This is pretty much the definition of white-knighting, by the way. You've called Hanako (or an ambiguous rhetorical girlfriend - the difference is immaterial) "weak" and set yourself up as her superior by deciding that your protection is "required". This is the exact type of mindset that Hanako was opposed to.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Hanako is not that weak, but is weaker than other people. I can't really put much more input.
MY CODE:
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Alexbond45 wrote:Hanako is not that weak, but is weaker than other people. I can't really put much more input.
That may be true in a brutally honest sense (although likely not as true as you think), but Hanako would prefer to deal with her problems on her own than have someone who felt they were "required" to help her to intervene. She doesn't want to be a burden on others, and she doesn't believe in the strength of relationships based on that mindset of obligation.

Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Obligation is part of my personal Honour code, Must Upkeep Honour, or Commit Seppuku with a fake lightsaber
MY CODE:
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Alexbond45 wrote:Obligation is part of my personal Honour code, Must Upkeep Honour, or Commit Seppuku with a fake lightsaber
Well then you'd be heading for a Misstep, I think.

Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Doesn't matter though, I doubt I'll ever be near where any of em are, I'm in Texas, they are in Japan.
MY CODE:
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Alexbond45 wrote:Hanako is not that weak, but is weaker than other people. I can't really put much more input.
I think that although she may be weak, her intent is strong.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I think that she is strong. Her life up to coming to Yamaku had been hell with bells on. She came through that unbroken and reasonably functional; I'm not certain I'd have the same resilience.

I like Hisao's line from Emi's path: "... but even knights helped each other out, you know."
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!