Another, different research project

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

stonebystone

Re: Another, different research project

Post by stonebystone »

Accel wrote:You said you would share the data on the forum?
Definitely. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that, and I guess I'd like some feedback in that regard. I'm obviously not going to post every response (not least because it's confidential data and my university would kill me if I did), but I've thought about trying to report some general trends in the open-ended responses and perhaps some epitomizing quotes. Of course the checkbox, 1-5 scale, and yes/no/don't know questions are easy enough to report. But I want to do whatever people will feel is the most enlightening and useful without compromising anyone's sense of confidentiality.

Suggestions are welcome on what you'd like to see, in other words.
Accel

Post by Accel »

stonebystone wrote:
Accel wrote:You said you would share the data on the forum?
Definitely. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that, and I guess I'd like some feedback in that regard. I'm obviously not going to post every response (not least because it's confidential data and my university would kill me if I did), but I've thought about trying to report some general trends in the open-ended responses and perhaps some epitomizing quotes. Of course the checkbox, 1-5 scale, and yes/no/don't know questions are easy enough to report. But I want to do whatever people will feel is the most enlightening and useful without compromising anyone's sense of confidentiality.

Suggestions are welcome on what you'd like to see, in other words.
I would suggest you post the condensed numbers and write out the trends on the 1-5 scales. Perhaps post some of the more interesting 'explain more' comments? You should try to post the epitomizing messages for the most common responses, but also include alternate points that are worth mentioning and can stand on their own.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I completed the survey - good questions, stone, and good on you for asking them. I'd be very interested to read the results. Good luck!
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Finished the survey. I hope it helps.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Your survey is missing the fighting genre. Completed none the less~
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

Fighting genre=action

Done w/survey
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
tangramman

Post by tangramman »

Completed the survey. Will likely do a follow up interview at a later date.

Also, as a devil's advocate in the "games are art" debate, here's one fella's interpretation. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he's at least interesting.
PineTrees

Post by PineTrees »

Did the survey. Glad to help! :) May contact you to do an interview by e-mail.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Alexbond45 wrote:Fighting genre=action

Done w/survey

Action = Devil May Cry, God of War, Tomb Raider, etc

fighting = Street Fighter 2, Guilty Gear, Tekken, etc

Thus I propose to you that fighting infact does not equal action.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Done. My final action on the internet before my jail term starts.
stonebystone

Post by stonebystone »

tangramman wrote:Completed the survey. Will likely do a follow up interview at a later date.

Also, as a devil's advocate in the "games are art" debate, here's one fella's interpretation. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he's at least interesting.
Yeah, "art" is highly subjective, but I don't think it makes it a meaningless or unproductive conversation to have. I'd also say that Wittgenstein didn't "effectively deal with" the philosophical problem of what art is, any more than Socrates dealt with the problem of what love is, or Plato with what beauty is. Because those concepts lie in complex intersections of social/cultural realms and transcendent ideals, they're necessarily part of unfinished conversations.

But I agree, it's an interesting perspective. I think the question might really be, "When does the debate of games as art/not art become an unproductive one? What does it get us?" and by us I mean game-players, the industry, academics who think about games, game designers, the general public, etc.
Daitengu wrote: Action = Devil May Cry, God of War, Tomb Raider, etc

fighting = Street Fighter 2, Guilty Gear, Tekken, etc

Thus I propose to you that fighting infact does not equal action.
I have a friend who follows e-sports and he'd probably agree with you. I have to admit that's my own bias; I'm not a fighting game player. I've seen some responses to that question that argue for other missing genres (platformers as distinct from action games, for instance), and I take their point too. That's part of my hope for responses to talk back to the question in a way, and I have to say I'm pleased that's happening quite a bit.
Meh

Post by Meh »

stonebystone wrote:That's part of my hope for responses to talk back to the question in a way, and I have to say I'm pleased that's happening quite a bit.
Yeah i did that too. Had to sweat with my limited English too... :lol:
One more for the poll.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

stonebystone wrote:That's part of my hope for responses to talk back to the question in a way, and I have to say I'm pleased that's happening quite a bit.
Not surprising to me; if there's one thing the people around here love, it's talking at great length about Katawa Shoujo =S
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

oh i saw this and then I forgot about it. Now the survey is gone. Is there any way I can still take the survey? I'm very interested in this project and at the very least would like a chance to take the survey even if my results don't mean anything at this point.