Jumping Stilts / Powerbocking

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

PikKirby

Jumping Stilts / Powerbocking

Post by PikKirby »

First thing you'll notice with that image is the striking resemblance to the prosthetic device used by Emi, mechanically they're exactly the same.

These things are called powerbocks, or jumping stilts in general. (A person who powerbocks, is called a bocker) They have a simple snowboard-like binding where your foot is attached, and a fibreglass leaf spring for the "springyness". While considered to be rather exotic in the eyes of standard humans, I've been powerbocking for many years now and it's just the norm for me personally. They're the same as a bike or a pair of rollerblades would be to you.

In terms of increased ability, powerbocks allow the user to jump and run higher/faster. Generally around 2m strides and 1.5m jump heights (Don't quote me on these numbers), but totally dependent on the bocker. Look around on youtube and you'll find plenty of people being able to do flips and extreme tricks.. and what-not.

I can't say that I could relate to Emi on a real physical level in terms of being an amputee. But I sure as hell could relate to her on jumping and running on these springy things!

I just thought that this would be something interesting to bring up to the KS community if it hasn't been brought up already.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Daitengu

Re: Jumping Stilts / Powerbocking

Post by Daitengu »

I saw the pic, and instantly was reminded of Portal lol.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Those look unbelievably dangerous =O
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

Mirrormn wrote:Those look unbelievably dangerous =O
Not nearly as dangerous as these: Russian Power Boots Can Use Biofuels
For Queen and Country
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

PikKirby wrote:[img]
In terms of increased ability, powerbocks allow the user to jump and run higher/faster. Generally around 2m strides and 1.5m jump heights (Don't quote me on these numbers), but totally dependent on the bocker. Look around on youtube and you'll find plenty of people being able to do flips and extreme tricks.. and what-not.
No wonder Emi beats everyone at running then. Can that even be considered fair lol.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

The thing isn't as simple as that.

You can't jump in those bocks 2m straight in the air from standing position. You have to bounce a few times first. They don't have a power source (except those russian ones maybe - I guess in Soviet Russia you have to fuel up your shoes :P) so all the energy you have to put in them first yourself. It's more like portable trampoline.
Sin of my sins wrote:No wonder Emi beats everyone at running then. Can that even be considered fair lol.
There was already a great discussion about using prosthetics in sport, when Oscar Pistorius wanted to run in the olimpic games in Beijin. Still, while having some advantages over normal feet, there are drawbacks. Like having no additional push, from using your calf muscles and foot itself. Emi's advantage is disputable at best.
Ph33rles

Post by Ph33rles »

Speaking of Oscar...

http://www.futurity.org/science-technol ... etic-legs/

And speaking of Emi's legs and Oscar

Image These are much more like Emi's, in fact...

Image I think they might actually be modeled off of his.
mainframe004

Post by mainframe004 »

Daitengu wrote:I saw the pic, and instantly was reminded of Portal lol.
And then I imagined Emi running into Hisao from a portal. Science-related hilarity ensued

"We live as we do to show the world what it could be." ~ Machinae Supremacy - Overworld

Paths: Lilly > Hanako > Rin = Emi >>> Shizune
Characters: Hanako > Rin > Shizune > Emi > Lilly
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Waaaay better than the Silent Running augmentation.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.