The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Raxiuscore

Depressed

Post by Raxiuscore »

After finishing Hanako's story i can't bring myself to play the game one more time. I feel pretty sad aswell, and wish i could relive all those good memories of the game, but i just can't... I wish they could make a manga or an Anime, but i know they can't do it. I kinda wanna se more of theyre story too, but i also know that won't happen.
Never thought i would do it, but i really met a girl that gives me the same feelings as Katawa Shoujo did. I love you Maia <3
Sethkowns

Re: Depressed

Post by Sethkowns »

I know how you feel. I wish there was more, but there isnt.
"I was warned that he was not only invincible, but strong enough to probably destory the building with a punch, or at least knock over the painting hanging in the hallway." Hideaki

Favorite Routes in Order: 1. Hanako 2. Lily 3. Emi 4. Kenji 5. Rin 6. Shizune
Game completion: 100% and aiming to still redo everyone's route.
Favorite Girl: Hanako!!!!!!!!
Sin of my sins

Re: Depressed

Post by Sin of my sins »

It's only natural to feel hollow after experiencing sudden emotional surges. You'll get past it eventually, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I kinda wanna se more of theyre story too, but i also know that won't happen.
There's plenty of fan fictions out there, and some of them are pretty rad. You should check them out.
murexmuris

Hijacked by feels

Post by murexmuris »

I'll say it: I'm tired of hearing about "feels."

I've been a fan of KS for four years or so. I came across the demo a while ago and was overwhelmed by the feelings it generated in me, even though it wasn't complete. I spent some time on the forums and Shimmie after that and became really fond of the KS fandom. The creativity, humor and thoughtfulness shown by people in this fandom, then and now, is awesome. Like everyone else, I eagerly awaited the full version, and I was not disappointed. Everybody at 4lS put an amazing amount of work into developing the game's plot, art and characters. They created something wonderful and inspiring.

My problem is that KS seems, for some people, to have been too inspiring. As in, they dedicate their lives to one of the girls and refuse to love any other, 2D or 3D. As in, they refuse to hear anything bad about their chosen princess, but have no problem bashing other girls. As in, they leave their girlfriend for a fictional character. Yes, I'm talking about this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmBwmkHH_Y. The dude in question "traded" his girlfriend for Emi because "she wasn't helping him anymore." Somehow, I suspect that he wasn't helping her much either.

I'm not claiming that most KS fans who suffer from "feels" are going to leave their loved ones for a 2D obsession. And if anyone is guilty of being too emotionally invested in fictional characters, it's me. Rin's path kept me up all night wondering about the intricacies of her mind and her relationship with Hisao; Shizune's path made me want to hug Misha and tell her everything would be all right. My problem lies with the fans who use emotional investment as an excuse to put down others or wallow in angst. With fans who fall in love with a wonderful story and forget the real world. With fans who use a story about opening your mind and reaching out to others to close themselves off from other people and never try to change.

Guys, 4LS gave us a wonderful gift. Let's not waste it.
Murex

Re: Hijacked by feels

Post by Murex »

Just to be clear, the above post was written by me, so you know who to yell at.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I'll admit that the "feels" meme is annoying and used way too much. It's also unsettling how the KS community is being misused as a dump for depressing life stories that really need to be told to a psychiatrist.

I guess that this is in some ways a good sign of how well KS was made, in a way that caused some people to relate the story with their own lives. Of course, too much of anything can't be good. Those stories were fascinating to me, before the 10th story that is, then I just got bored. :lol:

My personal advice for KS fans? Read more visual novels. KS is well-made, but it isn't the paragon of excellent VNs, and by exploring the medium you'll be able to experience the great stories that inspired KS to be made in the first place. Heck, don't just stop with VNs, read some literature, too.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Murex

Post by Murex »

Tempester wrote: I guess that this is in some ways a good sign of how well KS was made, in a way that caused some people to relate the story with their own lives. Of course, too much of anything can't be good. Those stories were fascinating to me, before the 10th story that is, then I just got bored. :lol:
I still find some of the stories about how KS helped people fascinating, like the person who lost his girlfriend in a car crash and was able to start recovering thanks to Emi's route. KS seems to have helped a lot of people get their life back on track, and that's awesome. It's just that some fans seem to be going in the opposite direction: "I'll never find a girl as awesome as Lilly/Hanako/Shizune/Rin/Emi/Misha/Hideaki, so why even bother trying? Real life sucks!" (not that I completely disagree with the last statement).
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Like you already stated, some people including myself took positive energy from the story. But I as well was disturbed by that video of the guy who dumped his girlfriend and people even calling it emotional and beautiful etc. I guess everyone reacts in their own way and that we can only accept that. I just hope that those people realise that they better enjoy their lives while they can. You're only young ones!
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Thank you so fucking much, bro.

I'm too am quite tired of people being all up in their feels OVER SOMETHING FICTIONAL! I'm also sick and tired of folks being butthurt when you mock a character (IE Hanako). Christ Jesus ya get mad over a fictional video game character but won't over some real life shit.

And people wonder why I wind up trolling and hating every fandom I have ever been in.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Having confidence in one's own beliefs and self requires less validation. Conversely those who have little self confidence tend to grasp at security blankets, and require outside validation. It's the difference between adult and childish mentalities. Growing up isn't really taught or defined well, but expected. If I had to define it, Being grownup requires one to be able to learn from experience, and be confident in their own beliefs, while being open to skepticism. Not many people seem to realize that. So they latch onto leaders, idols, celebs, games, movies, religion, etc as a security blanket. That is not to say an grownup can't be depressed, or have feelings, since that's just a part of being human. I'm just talking about the way to think about things and loving yourself enough to where you can go through crap without the need for security blankets.

It's also a paradox of industrial style education. We're taught to follow, not to be independent. We aren't taught how to be an adult, instead we are just taught academic knowledge. All I can suggest is to not hate, just be patient, teach, and show a better way. Hate won't get them to improve, only hinder yourself.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Snow_Storm wrote:Thank you so fucking much, bro.

I'm too am quite tired of people being all up in their feels OVER SOMETHING FICTIONAL! I'm also sick and tired of folks being butthurt when you mock a character (IE Hanako). Christ Jesus ya get mad over a fictional video game character but won't over some real life shit.

And people wonder why I wind up trolling and hating every fandom I have ever been in.
Though i understand your point of view to a certain level, i must say the KS fandom is by far the best i know (and almost the only one i like of being a part of). And there's nothing wrong with having an emotional bond with a work of fiction/art, as long as you take inspiration/life lessons etc. from it and not an obsession or something.
Last edited by gRaViJa on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Ironically, this is the most angry I've seen anyone be on this forum.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I am confident enough in my own self-awareness to have 'feels' over a piece of literature and still have my sense of reality. I also teared up when I first finished 'The Counte of Monte Cristo." (The actual book, not either movie) It doesn't mean that I will allow myself to trade my current life for a fictional character like HayDee from the book or Lilly from KS. I enjoy a good piece of work and get drawn into it like I would a good book, it doesn't mean it's real or that my 'feels' have any relevance in restructuring my whole outlook on life. True KS did make me look at myself and see my faults, but that only shows how good the work was. To allow the reader to connect to the fictional world and be able to see himself/herself in a better light.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I'm sick and tired of people trolling fandoms and insulting people because they happen to have an emotional reaction to something.

I guess you and me just aren't going to be friends.
Not Dead Yet
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

it happens .... the " feels " exsited b4 ks ... Final fantasy 7 comes to mind ( a certin death scene lol ) ... ks is just the lastest " feels" fad ... til the next thing comes

i will say though the emi workout challenge is something to behold