Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirrormn

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Mirrormn »

All right, I'm supposed to start Week 5 Day 1 right now, but it just started raining and thundering. Do I pull an Emi and go running anyway, or postpone until tomorrow?
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

If it's only a drizzle go running, if it's relly rainign hard wait a while for it to get sunny again, if it keeps raining i'd go tomorrow instead. Better safe than sorry :) Or is it warm where you live atm? Cause then i'd go anyway :p
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

gRaViJa wrote:If it's only a drizzle go running, if it's relly rainign hard wait a while for it to get sunny again, if it keeps raining i'd go tomorrow instead. Better safe than sorry :) Or is it warm where you live atm? Cause then i'd go anyway :p
It was raining pretty hard, with lightning and thunder to boot, but warm enough for the wetness to be refreshing instead of chilling. I decided to go anyway. It felt great, even though I am thoroughly soaked now. Hopefully soon I will be able to regain enough energy to go change into some dry clothes.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Yeah, i look running in the rain too if it's warm, but if it's colder outside you're bound to get sick :p
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

And if you're a real Anime fan, you're gonna get sick after getting your head wet standing 5 min. in a slight drizzle, and then inevitably some crazy stuff will happen to you, like bumping unconciously on women's breasts, or getting high on cough medicine.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

NoOne3 wrote:...or getting high on cough medicine.
Helllooooooo~

On a related note: Running in rain or wet conditions isn't so bad so long as you're careful not to slip on grass or anything. I haven't slipped yet but there's a few muddy patches I'm wary of during my wet runs.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

My brother is still laughing at me because i slipped while running in the rain last summer... Mud, mud everywhere.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
completesky

Post by completesky »

Mirrormn wrote:
gRaViJa wrote:If it's only a drizzle go running, if it's relly rainign hard wait a while for it to get sunny again, if it keeps raining i'd go tomorrow instead. Better safe than sorry :) Or is it warm where you live atm? Cause then i'd go anyway :p
It was raining pretty hard, with lightning and thunder to boot, but warm enough for the wetness to be refreshing instead of chilling. I decided to go anyway. It felt great, even though I am thoroughly soaked now. Hopefully soon I will be able to regain enough energy to go change into some dry clothes.
Are you me? Running in hail sucks, especially when the wind allies with it.

Completed the first day of Emi's Bridge to 10k. Honestly, if you were already running half an hour before, the first day of the program is roughly the same in intensity considering the breaks.
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

I was at a running track today together with a running partner, and we decided to see how well we would do on real running instead of jogging. We decided to run a 800 metres twice. Man, was i dissapointed. I ran at 100% (while jogging is about 80%) but after about 600 metres my lungs were burning and i had to jog instead. Second try was even worse (had to stop runnin after 400 metres)!

There's still a difference between jogging and running full force. I decided to improve this. i'll go run 2x 800m twice a week at 100% force so i improve a bit on speed and on going fullout for a while. After that i'll go for the bridge to 10k.
Last edited by gRaViJa on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I, on the other hand ran today 8min non-stop. Twice. (week 5 day 2)
Not very impressed? You may all laugh, but I'm not sure if I've ran for so long since... ever? Maybe back in P.E. in high-school there was some long run, but I sucked at that even without the coke-belly I have now.
Still, I don't feel man enough to run full day 3, so I'll just repeat week 5 day 3 three more times, and then I'll try.

And I dismissed what the scale was showing for some time now, but today morning I couldn't deny it. I lost 10kg (that's like 22lb for those imperially inclined) since taking up running with Emi.
Easter is coming so I'm bound to gain some (since any holiday here is just eating, watching TV and talking about nothing in particular) but as long as I do my runs, I can expect being on a downhill slope in this departament.
Feels good man. Just 30min thrice a week...

Cheap shoes doing ok. Have to look for some mud on the way though, since you could pick any colour you wanted at the store, as long as it was white, and I don't like the shine of new white running shoes. It just don't go with me well, I'm more an olive-khaki man.

And another somewhat interesting story I have: Everyone has it's own laps.
I basically run in circles on a forest path very close to the residential I live. On the first time around I went pass an elderly man, looking somewhat seventish maybe. He was walking slowly, using a stabilised cane (like this one here). He had a track suit, and it looked like he was recovering from broken legs, or someting (hip operation maybe?) and just practicing walking.
When I passed him the second time he was resting on a bench, some 100m further the road, and while I was running pass again, lurching somewhat and wheezing, he was laboriously walking back to the project. I'm not gonna give him Emi's schedule, or anything, I didn't even say hello (since I don't really know him) but I felt for a moment some kind of vague solidarity.
We both did our laps today.
ook

Post by ook »

Haha, cool story. I actually came here cause something similar just happened to me. I was at a garage sale down the street from my house, and I'd never met the lady who was having it, but she was like "Hey I've seen you running lately, you've done pretty well for yourself." and we talked for a few minutes about exercise and struggling with weight loss and stuff. (though I didn't mention KS :lol:)
It felt cool.

I would try day 3 at least once though. It's like a confidence booster when you finish it and realize you can now run without stopping.
If you really can't make it, you can always start walking halfway through again, but give it a shot. It's easier than it looks. just start running... and keep going
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

ook wrote:Haha, cool story. I actually came here cause something similar just happened to me. I was at a garage sale down the street from my house, and I'd never met the lady who was having it, but she was like "Hey I've seen you running lately, you've done pretty well for yourself." and we talked for a few minutes about exercise and struggling with weight loss and stuff. (though I didn't mention KS :lol:)
It felt cool.

I would try day 3 at least once though. It's like a confidence booster when you finish it and realize you can now run without stopping.
If you really can't make it, you can always start walking halfway through again, but give it a shot. It's easier than it looks. just start running... and keep going
Ha yea. Something like that happened not an hour ago. I was eating at a restaurant and over heard people behind me talking about exercising. But ironic enough they were talking about the Couch to 5k. One of the four people at the table was doing it and explaining it to their friends.

I couldn't help but smile. 8)
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

@gRaViJa - Huge props for getting out there and really racing. I bet it burned something awful, but it felt good right?

@ook - I keep secretly hoping someone will come up to me and mention how they've noticed my running and compliment me or something. I'm glad you got to talk to someone about it.

@NoOne3 - Never doubt for a second that any of us aren't impressed! I'm amazed with myself for starting this program, but it's only thanks to the rest of you guys that I stick to it. We all have our own "walls" that may have built up after being lax in exercise but we're all working to climb (or tear down) these walls. Not only am I impressed with your progress, but I'm also a little envious of how much weight you've managed to lose. Keep it up!
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

nice stories, love to read these little experiences :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!

100 push-up challenge
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

MY ARMS HURT

I took a couple days to recover, and then went back for 100 pushup workout, W1D1, attempt 3.

I took a step back once more from the number of pushups the guide suggested I try, and attempted the following: 12/17/13/13/17+

However, I think my problem is one of stamina, namely that my muscles don't really start aching after I do my pushups, I just feel tired and energyless, so instead of the 60 sec break I'm meant to take inbetween, I took a 120 sec break, and before the last step I took a 5 min break. Yea, my stamina sucks. It's something I need to work on after this.

Happily, that did the trick :D I managed to do the full workout, even going one step beyond the minimum on the last step ("I can do more than 17! I can do more than the minimum!")

For the rest of this week, I'll alternate days and try and repeat this routine to get me used to a different way of doing pushups (ie. not keep going until I collapse), then start W1 properly next week.

Do people reckon it's OK to leave longer breaks between sets though, and concentrate on increasing the number I can do, even if it means it takes per day than it should? Or is this kinda defying the point of it, and I really should be working to get my times down?
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101