Character Voices

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DrSkulk

Re: Character voice in your head

Post by DrSkulk »

[deleted]
Last edited by DrSkulk on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Character Voices

Post by Guest »

Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a single narrator - at least, in auto mode.

Perhaps Michael Angelis.

Or perhaps Samuel L. Jackson would be more apt.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

ZoboCamel wrote:Rin - Maaya Sakamoto (with her deadpan Haruhi voice from Ouran, perhaps a little lower)
Misha - Yui Horie (Minori from Toradora)
Kenji - Nobuyuki Hiyama (Madarame from Genshiken)
Nurse - Daisuke Ono
luinthoron wrote:Mutou - Fujiwara Keiji
Csihar wrote:Reading Jigoro's dialogue in Norio Wakamoto's voice increased my enjoyment of his character by about 1000%. Try it.
Holy cow, these are nearly perfect.

I think Hanako's ideal VA would be Mizuki Nana (Tsubomi from Heartcatch Precure, Fate from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha), because I don't think Noto Mamiko would be able to properly capture the parts where she is emotionally broken or the scene where she is angry.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Nitramy

Post by Nitramy »

Kenji: Simon Templeman
Hisao: Michael Bell

:lol:

Mutou: John Patrick Lowrie
Meiko: Ellen McCain

:D

Jigoro: DAN GREEN
Wander

Post by Wander »

Hisao - Jon St. John
Kenji - James Earl Jones

This would emphasize the manliness of the manly men in this game.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I can't hear MIsha as anyone other than the lead from Excel Saga.

Kenji is Light from Death Note. It strikes me as being funnier if he's sounds overly dead serious when going on with his ramblings.
Not Dead Yet
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

As much as I like Kobayashi Yuu, I was that I couldn't really think of a decent KS character to go along with her.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Dullfinn

Post by Dullfinn »

I don't watch much anime so I can't really comment on any of it, but I always imagined Rin speaking very much like Daria Morgendorffer! And I think Brittany from the very same series could match with Emi or Misha. (Well, actually Rin should be a little less monotonic than Daria, and Emi or Misha a little less irritating than Brittany, but still, close enough.)

Anyway, I'm kinda curious: how come so many of you hear japanese voice-actors and -actresses inside your head, when the text is, well, in english? How does it work? And are there any voice-actresses who do both english and japanese voices?
Favourite girls: Misha > Emi > Yuuko > Akira > Rin > Shizune > Hanako > Lilly
Favourite boys: Kenji > Nurse > Mutou > Nomiya > Hisao > Hideaki > Jigoro
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Dullfinn wrote:I don't watch much anime so I can't really comment on any of it, but I always imagined Rin speaking very much like Daria Morgendorffer!
Ick. Daria's voice is so sharp, assertive, and sarcastic. I always imagined Rin's voice to be soft, slow, and contemplative. And above all, I can't imagine Rin having any hint of sarcasm in her voice, even when she's being sarcastic.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Dullfinn wrote:Anyway, I'm kinda curious: how come so many of you hear japanese voice-actors and -actresses inside your head, when the text is, well, in english? How does it work? And are there any voice-actresses who do both english and japanese voices?
If you watch lots of subtitled anime, then that's what you associate with the art style, I suppose. That's it, for me.

Personally, I don't hear any voices at all, but when I think about casting, I can't help thinking that Hanako is tailor-made for Kana Hanazawa. And I think Yuuki Aoi would make a decent Rin.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Definitely have to agree with what Dawnstorm said. After a while you can just instinctively match the inflection of the voices with what the subtitles say, even if you don't actually understand what is being said. You can pick up on the tone and mannerisms pretty easily, which tends to be what gives the impression of the character's personality. I suppose it just works backwards for a VN like KS.

Or it might just be some of my bad experience with English dubs...
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
newnar

Post by newnar »

I hear Jap too. I can't even translate that fast. I think it's just my subconscious using material I've heard in all my life to randomly construct Jap sentences that somehow sounds legit against the English.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Hanako's voice - Jar Jar Blinks!
PikKirby

Post by PikKirby »

Am I the only person that doesn't affiliate voices in any of the characters? It's odd because I do it for pretty much everything else, but with KS I just read. There is no voice (Weird.)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

PikKirby wrote:Am I the only person that doesn't affiliate voices in any of the characters? It's odd because I do it for pretty much everything else, but with KS I just read. There is no voice (Weird.)
Same for me. I also don't watch enough anime/cartoons to know enough voice actors to attribute to the voices in the first place.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune