Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Althamus

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Althamus »

FissionXMailed wrote:How often do you workout, and what do you do for strength training? Also how much experience have you had before with strength workouts?
Eh, I don't workout very formally or reliably. Evenings when I remember, just before bed I'll do pressups with my legs raised, pullups, situps, squats or dips or the kind of dips where you hold onto two parrallel bars and raise and lower yourself. I tend to do them until my muscles start aching, and leave it at that.
I should also mention I'm pretty light, which makes it easier for me to do proportional muscle training, as opposed to doing something like lifting weights. I have reasonable proportional muscle strenght, but I ain't an Arnie v2.0 :P
zanger wrote:When I first started, the program stuck me into w3d1 (like you) and I could barely finish the 4th set, I just ended up repeating that workout for the entire week and starting w3 properly the next week.
I think I may do this. Also, I've been doing the sets with 60 seconds inbetween each because that's what it said to do, but on closer inspection it says to take a 60 second break, more if you need to, so I may increase it up to 120-180 seconds. I think it'll make it a LOT easier for me.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Althamus wrote:Eh, I don't workout very formally or reliably. Evenings when I remember, just before bed I'll do pressups with my legs raised, pullups, situps, squats or dips or the kind of dips where you hold onto two parrallel bars and raise and lower yourself. I tend to do them until my muscles start aching, and leave it at that.
Hmm well if your looking for some results from your strength (Say you want noticeable results) you should workout regularly.

Generally I do strength training Mon - Wed - Fri (Tue - Thu - Sat on rare occasions) and rest on days in between and weekends. (But Cardio everyday :lol: )

Also, I don't mean to be insulting, but make sure your form is correct. Here's a link to videos that'll help answer majority of workout questions and workout form videos. He also has tips for certain workouts.

Lastly, just doing them until muscle aches just sounds bad to me. Most people I know do sets of X amount with X reps. Generally 3 sets or 8 ~ 10 reps is fine for workouts. (Can vary depending on the workout)

But what zanger said is good advice. Just slowly build up to finish it is fine since your still getting the workout and progressing.

My advice would be to either lower the set amount and start off with something that you know will be doable and build up slowly, since generally if you push yourself to just finish the set you might not be paying attention to your form and that's just doing more harm than good; (Say you do 3 sets or 10 reps and want to reach 15 reps; EG: 1st Day (10 - 10 - 11), Second Day (10 - 10 - 12), etc.)

or decrease the weights a bit (If you do strength training with weights).

Also it's alright to take a break for more than 60 seconds. I generally aim for 45 second rests between each set and exercise, but sometimes I need more that that.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

During my W7D1 run I only managed to go 15ish minutes before exhaustion kicked in. Turns out that attempting to run after returning from a convention results in dizziness, nausea, and a substantially lower amount of energy than I'm used to. My better judgement eventually beat my pride after the second time I nearly stumbled and fell over my own feet.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Today I'll start Week 5, day 1. it seems that shit got real, specially on day 3.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
ook

Post by ook »

Week 6 day 3 complete - I ran around both the lakes in my town (they're kinda connected), which is about 3k :D

2 more k to go...
Danze

Post by Danze »

After having been running for a couple months now using a varying set of runs, I started using this one tonight. Figured it made sense seeing as how I finished Emi's arc last night and felt very attached to it. Just went ahead and started on week 5 day 1. Didn't do too bad, did it after an hour workout at the gym.

Thanks to gRaViJa for pointing me towards this thread, btw.
"The last thing you'll never see"
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I can see the thing spreads.

After last week my feet started to complain after all (running around in flat-rubber shoes).
So I bought the cheapest "running shoes" from the sport chain-store, sold under their generic brand.
I know it's not a good move, but I'll try to keep those interested updated about their performance.
So far it feels much better for my knees, feet and most of the rest. I guess I'll try to get back to "running flat" after building some rudimentary leg muscles (read a lot about "natural running" idea, seems legit to me).

Finally I'm on week 5 and the thing just got real - legs keeps up, but lungs won't. Still I'm past day 1, and the real fun starts on friday (day 3).
basmimarsinan

Post by basmimarsinan »

I haven't played the Emi route yet but seeing it getting so many people interested in running I have my hopes high now. I guess I'll be back to this topic for advice when I complete that route.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Fell from the bike this morning, couldn't get out of the cleat pedal in time when I had to stop :(
Hurt myself and hurt my bike, the real derailer was so bent it hit the spokes. Had to forcibly unbent it so I could continue the ride to work.

And as always after a fall on the hands the elbow hurts.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

dunkelfalke wrote:Fell from the bike this morning, couldn't get out of the cleat pedal in time when I had to stop :(
That's the rare case where too much pro in your bike might hurt you.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Yep. Would have been hurt much worse if that weren't magnetic cleats which always disengage in a fall.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

i like this thread .... but i started working out long b4 the release of KS ... i walk to and from work ( about 7 km a day ) so about 35 km a week for the past 7 years ... im not the most fit ... but a am healthy very healthy so it was the best thing i did

so to the ppl who used Emi as a way to get heathy ... congrates
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I started the Bridge to 10k program today. It was tough but not mind-breakingly so, and (excuse the bragging) I felt like a champion by the end of it. I'm also doing pushups and situps every day, although I can only manage a few so far.
NoOne3 wrote:Finally I'm on week 5 and the thing just got real - legs keeps up, but lungs won't. Still I'm past day 1, and the real fun starts on friday (day 3).
When you do get to W5D3, don't be afraid to slow your running down to a slow jog if you start feeling tired.
basmimarsinan wrote:I haven't played the Emi route yet but seeing it getting so many people interested in running I have my hopes high now. I guess I'll be back to this topic for advice when I complete that route.
Nothing wrong with starting now. It'll make you feel good about yourself during her route. :)
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
completesky

Post by completesky »

Tempester wrote:I started the Bridge to 10k program today. It was tough but not mind-breakingly so, and (excuse the bragging) I felt like a champion by the end of it. I'm also doing pushups and situps every day, although I can only manage a few so far.
I wonder how many other people are continuing to the 10k program.

Anyway, I managed 51 good form pushups in the initial test of the pushup challenge and I'll probably be starting the program in a week in order to maintain a schedule on top of starting the 10k program tomorrow.

To whoever was thinking about doing Emi's path I fully recommend it as it is the path which give you the biggest motivation to start bettering yourself (IMO).
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

[quote="Tempester"]I started the Bridge to 10k program today. It was tough but not mind-breakingly so, and (excuse the bragging) I felt like a champion by the end of it. I'm also doing pushups and situps every day, although I can only manage a few so far.
quote]

Hmm. i'm also starting the bridge to 10k, but i feel that everything after 30 mins of running get's difficult.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25