Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Daitengu

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Daitengu »

rydiafan wrote:What about something light hearted an not so serious ( i need a break for the serious VNs for a while cause the last 3 drained me ... KS , YMK and Kana ) i need something with a more fun feel to it
Kira Kira and DearDrops are two of the more light hearted I've played. They aren't slice of life comedies, but they aren't all serious all the time like fate/stay night. The group dynamics were pretty funny to read. <3 Rimu messing with people in Deardrops.

Don't think I could take another depressing VN like Higurashi or Air <.<
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

rydiafan wrote:What about something light hearted an not so serious ( i need a break for the serious VNs for a while cause the last 3 drained me ... KS , YMK and Kana ) i need something with a more fun feel to it
You might like Muv-Luv Extra. Of course, I'm only talking about Extra and not its sequels.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

My Girlfriend is the President.

No, seriously. It exists. It's the only pure comedy VN I can think of.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Sengoku Rance
Odious Manly Genuflection With Terrible Fury: Only True Lamentation
Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story

Rance is the most fun and least serious of the bunch.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

encrypted12345 wrote:
My Girlfriend is the President.

No, seriously. It exists. It's the only pure comedy VN I can think of.

...lol I gotta look that up.

part of the summary reads:
In the not so distant future, in an alternate universe version of Japan… a young man awakes to discover that the house of his childhood friend who lives next door has been changed into the White House. Why? Because she’s the president, of course! The president of New Japan, appointed by an alien who crash-landed on earth and brainwashed humanity to this new world order of bishoujo leadership in which you come to take a vital spot in the new moe administration.
zany lol
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Roy-Kr wrote:
Libra wrote:Does the game Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy counts?
Interactive movies don't count, imo.
Nope. Though both are pretty damn good for what they are, they couldn't be classified as "novels" in any sense of the word.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Famicom Detective Club Part II (Super Nintendo SatelliteView, japanese only there is a patch)...
This is one I really enjoyed.

It had great music and atmosphere and a interesting story that drew me in. Since it was a Super Nintendo Game, there's no hentai scenes and the romantic side of things is kept rather light, but they do a realy good job with the creepy atmosphere. The story is about a teenage detective investigating the murder of a school girl. Prior to her death, the school girl was investigating something herself, a local ghost story about a girl covered in blood that appears in the school right behind people.
Not Dead Yet
Libra

Post by Libra »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Roy-Kr wrote:
Libra wrote:Does the game Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy counts?
Interactive movies don't count, imo.
Nope. Though both are pretty damn good for what they are, they couldn't be classified as "novels" in any sense of the word.
Well,the way I was thinking is that both of these games are interactive movies. and I think interactive movies and VN are very much alike.
danyo

Post by danyo »

I think it's been mentioned before, but I'd like to suggest narcissu again. It doesn't actually have any choises, but it's a great story nonetheless, and not too long. I'd suggest getting narcissu the 2nd though, it has the first one in it aswell, and it's a prequel to get you to know one of the protagonists a bit better.

edit.: Oh, and it's free :)
Libra

Post by Libra »

Dear Esther is a amazing game!
newnar

Post by newnar »

Steins Gate. 'Nuff said.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Quick question about the Kira-Kira series. I just started playing it (Kira-Kira) but I noticed there are three different ones on the vndb. My question is exactly, after this should I play Curtain Call and Deardrops straight away or are they not 100% relevent to the original game?
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Quick question about the Kira-Kira series. I just started playing it (Kira-Kira) but I noticed there are three different ones on the vndb. My question is exactly, after this should I play Curtain Call and Deardrops straight away or are they not 100% relevent to the original game?
Curtain call is a sequel of sorts to Kira Kira, so play it afterwards. Other than a few cameos, Deardrops is unrelated to Kira Kira.

Be sure to play the best route (Kirari) last.
Breaker deGodot

Post by Breaker deGodot »

As a relative newbie to VN's (I've played KS, obviously, and am currently downloading Narcissu), I was wondering if there were any realistic romantic stories out there? I mean, Ever17 certainly has a lot of fans, but I'm not interested in Sci-fi as much as I'm interested in character development. So is there anything I'm missing?
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-Francis Bacon
danyo

Post by danyo »

Breaker deGodot wrote:As a relative newbie to VN's (I've played KS, obviously, and am currently downloading Narcissu), I was wondering if there were any realistic romantic stories out there? I mean, Ever17 certainly has a lot of fans, but I'm not interested in Sci-fi as much as I'm interested in character development. So is there anything I'm missing?
Mmmh, even though clannad and little busters have some supernatural elements in them, they don't interfere with the realism at all from the games, and they are both romantic, and are really great in my opinion. They also don't have any nudity at all with them, the most you'll get is some panty shots, and even those are rare ( don't think they any in clannad ).

Also something new I'd like to recommend, not sure if I've seen it yet, but:

kara no shoujo, it's a detective visual novel. It's really interesting and complicated. I have to warn people though, there's some pretty graphical images and scenes, but that's what you'd expect when solving murder cases. For more information you can check out this